Sickest, Deepest Receiver Core in Memory

You sound like a guy who lost his hot girlfriend and finding excuses.

DD made a mistake. Good luck to him.

Yeah, a girlfriend who was apt to say "not tonight - I have a headache..." Sure she gave a couple great BJ's from time to time, but didn't put out on a consistent basis...

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we look up in 2015 and the rushing average is 200 I GAURANTEE double digit wins.

Write it down and hold me accountable EVERYBODY

Nothing in the world would make me happier than to be 100% wrong about Brian Kelly and I agree wholeheartedly that if we have a ground and pound attack that features the WR talent in play action and ahead of the chain passing (instead of 3rd and long or obvious passing situations like pretty much the entire ASU game), then we should see 10+ wins and a very outside chance at the playoffs.

Nothing in the world would make me happier than to be 100% wrong about Brian Kelly and I agree wholeheartedly that if we have a ground and pound attack that features the WR talent in play action and ahead of the chain passing (instead of 3rd and long or obvious passing situations like pretty much the entire ASU game), then we should see 10+ wins and a very outside chance at the playoffs.

There are areas I agree with you, I wanna make that clear too. ND has NOT shown a consistent schematic approach.

I remember telling people that the way Chuck Martin called a game or influenced the playsheet was different then Kelly.

We all knew that the only year we adopted ground and pound was 2012. That year Kelly had limited pass catching threats(top was eifert, TJ and DD were ok) He had just graduated Floyd. He had two veteran running backs, in Riddick and Wood. A young Golson. So in a sense the only offense that made any sense was keep it on the ground and pound.

I hope LSU wasn't just a 1 game gameplan. I hope it was a recognition of being balanced and running for 200 wins. If he continues the LSU plan I'm behind him. If not we'll see. No execuses in 2015, this is the most talented and experienced offensive line. We've been patient, now produce.

I stand by my word though, if we achieve 200 rushing ND will win big in 15 because we have power and as okie points out speedy skill players

No mention of Daniels, Brent, Holmes, or Smythe??

I wasn't counting on Daniels coming back, purely forgot about Brent but I don't know a lot about him. My one impression is as an eye witness from the spring game and he failed to get to a long ball from Malik. From my perspective he could have made that catch. Smythe?? Yes!!! He will be a contributor and I believe he will far surpass Koyack in receiving yards.

Now as far as running the ball and schemes I'm all bought in to what we saw against LSU. I'm hoping for at least 200 yards a game running the ball and I expect it. I'm just saying our passing game will compliment the running game with a high degree of consistency and major big play potential. When a team is geared to stop Malik on that read option and he pulls the ball out there is a tremendous chance of a completion and many times it will be down field. Best group of talent and depth on the offensive side of the ball in ages.

I hope LSU wasn't just a 1 game gameplan. I hope it was a recognition of being balanced and running for 200 wins. If he continues the LSU plan I'm behind him. If not we'll see. No execuses in 2015, this is the most talented and experienced offensive line. We've been patient, now produce.

It's going to be very interesting, given this:

"He's always looking for how to put his kids in the best position," former Notre Dame offensive coordinator Chuck Martin, now the head coach at Miami (Ohio), said by phone this week. "His foundations are: Spread the field, make them defend the length and the width (of the field) and use different tempos. … If he has better wideouts, it becomes more of a wideout game. If he has better running backs, it becomes more of a running back game."

It's going to be very interesting, given this:

"He's always looking for how to put his kids in the best position," former Notre Dame offensive coordinator Chuck Martin, now the head coach at Miami (Ohio), said by phone this week. "His foundations are: Spread the field, make them defend the length and the width (of the field) and use different tempos. … If he has better wideouts, it becomes more of a wideout game. If he has better running backs, it becomes more of a running back game."

Yeah Norm. Kelly See's Malik as his running QB so a lot of it will also depend on which QB he Choices.

If Malik, the LSU plan is more likely.

With Golson and his arm talent, Kelly might be tempted to be Kelly.

I'd be ok with a Florida situation from back in the day. Chris Leak Golson, Tim Tebow Malik

It will be interesting as you point out.

Yeah Norm. Kelly See's Malik as his running QB so a lot of it will also depend on which QB he Choices.

If Malik, the LSU plan is more likely.

With Golson and his arm talent, Kelly might be tempted to be Kelly.

I'd be ok with a Florida situation from back in the day. Chris Leak Golson, Tim Tebow Malik

It will be interesting as you point out.

I would love a 2 QB situation for next season, and possibly in the future as well. I think it could work out great. Wimbush/Kizer can take the Golson role once he graduates.

I've been studying Aliz'e Jones. OH MY GOSH!!!! Extremely elite tight end. He wants to be the complete tight end and that means blocking from the end of the line. His ball catching skills are superior to Eifert at this stage. With Malik at the helm this could be his favorite target whereas Golson liked Fuller and downfield shots. This is a lethal combination in the making.

Let's run that true read option offense but when we throw it let it be unstoppable. But how to keep all these receivers happy if we run it most of the time??

I say, if we are easily whipping an opponent, let's work on the passing game more extensively. Let's pass at a higher ratio. Pass to set up the run.

Now our normal mode should be the opposite until a game is well in hand. If it is 3rd and 2 we are going to run it most of the time. Running the ball is our salvation. Passing it is our enjoyment, but never at the expense of losing a game.

I've been studying Aliz'e Jones. OH MY GOSH!!!! Extremely elite tight end. He wants to be the complete tight end and that means blocking from the end of the line. His ball catching skills are superior to Eifert at this stage. With Malik at the helm this could be his favorite target whereas Golson liked Fuller and downfield shots. This is a lethal combination in the making.

Let's run that true read option offense but when we throw it let it be unstoppable. But how to keep all these receivers happy if we run it most of the time??

I say, if we are easily whipping an opponent, let's work on the passing game more extensively. Let's pass at a higher ratio. Pass to set up the run.

Now our normal mode should be the opposite until a game is well in hand. If it is 3rd and 2 we are going to run it most of the time. Running the ball is our salvation. Passing it is our enjoyment, but never at the expense of losing a game.

Its tough because any incomplete pass would stop the clock. A longer game favors the team that's behind usually.

Kelly's plan prior to LSU was pass first, get ahead, then run in the second half to close it out.

Problem with that is: What if Kelly never got ahead? Kelly then got it to a pass happy bind. His intentions were good, but it didn't work out.

So Okie I guess where I'm at is start with the run, mix in passes off play action, but if we are ahead I want to stay ahead so I want that clock worn away. An incomplete pass stops the clock so it scares me.

that said we need 200 and 200, so if we're running so much its 300 and 100 I can see "balancing it out" Against LSU we were 184 passing(a little low) but then CJ and Amir were getting jet sweeps.

I would say the receivers would be happy because they get 1-1 so when they catch it its a big play. Receivers like big plays

Yeah, this only works if you are playing NCAA football on the XBox...:smash:

Rocket, you take things out of context. I only said in games that we are way out in front that we work on our passing game. I'm a Malik guy and that has been clear since the spring game. I know your a pretty smart guy you just pretend to be missing a few brain cells.

I can't figure out how CBK before LSU didn't figure out running the damn ball will win in the "big leagues"... People always say on forums "you really know better than the coach?" well in this case there were plenty who did know better than him, that's what makes me nervous about him winning a championship for us. Don't think he will stick to the run next year like we seen against LSU but sure in hell hope we do, keeping my fingers crossed.

Aliz'e is 6'4 220 right now, by the time he reports for summer school, he should be able to get up to 230-235 and close to 240 by fall. At 6'4 235-240 and keeping his speed, he will play.

Rocket, you take things out of context. I only said in games that we are way out in front that we work on our passing game. I'm a Malik guy and that has been clear since the spring game. I know your a pretty smart guy you just pretend to be missing a few brain cells.

I'm very much in context...you're up huge so let's start passing? Who does that? No one...no one...

Let's not discuss brains because I'll go off on a tangent about early onset Alzheimer's or Dementia...

I'm very much in context...you're up huge so let's start passing? Who does that? No one...no one...

Let's not discuss brains because I'll go off on a tangent about early onset Alzheimer's or Dementia...

We already covered that in the Chemtrail thread

Aliz'e is 6'4 220 right now, by the time he reports for summer school, he should be able to get up to 230-235 and close to 240 by fall. At 6'4 235-240 and keeping his speed, he will play.

I was listening to them talk about him on Power Hour and the adjectives just kept flowing. I have no doubt he will be a weapon next year. He doesn't come in way behind because there is not a returner at tight end. I do wish he could have come in early and participated in spring ball.

Speaking of spring ball, I think Tillery is the one that benefits the most. He learns the schemes and then has all summer to lift and get in shape. Predicting playing time for Tillery as a freshman as well as Jones.

Saw where Miles Boykin is listed as 6' 4'' and 225 pounds and runs a 4.51 forty. He said he switched to football as his main sport because he thought he could use it to get into Notre Dame. He wanted a Notre Dame education!! Have to love this guy.

Saw where Miles Boykin is listed as 6' 4'' and 225 pounds and runs a 4.51 forty. He said he switched to football as his main sport because he thought he could use it to get into Notre Dame. He wanted a Notre Dame education!! Have to love this guy.
Definitely. Great review John! I'm pretty excited about Boykin also. He is muscular and athletic. Supposed to have excellent hands. The receiver position is not a concern for a while.

Is this right? Our incoming WR is bigger than our incoming TE (6'4" 225 vs. 6'4" 220)?

Is this right? Our incoming WR is bigger than our incoming TE (6'4" 225 vs. 6'4" 220)?

FWIW, the most recent measurements from the All American games list Boykin at 6'4, 212# and Jones at 6'4, 222#. Basically little difference. Of note Jones arm length measured in at 36 1/4. For reference, Eifert was 33 1/8 and Jimmy Graham is 35 inch. He is just very long. A Scout analyst said Jones is the best TE out of the west in years and possibly the last 10 years. Another Scout analyst said Aaron Hernandez was the best TE he had seen in high school, then he saw Aliz'e and the comparison wasn't even close.

FWIW, the most recent measurements from the All American games list Boykin at 6'4, 212# and Jones at 6'4, 222#. Basically little difference. Of note Jones arm length measured in at 36 1/4. For reference, Eifert was 33 1/8 and Jimmy Graham is 35 inch. He is just very long. A Scout analyst said Jones is the best TE out of the west in years and possibly the last 10 years. Another Scout analyst said Aaron Hernandez was the best TE he had seen in high school, then he saw Aliz'e and the comparison wasn't even close.

Well geez...that's some really high praise. Great to hear.

Let's just start him already. He sounds dominant.

I posted it in another thread that TE's aren't as big as they used to be, or so it seems. It seems like they put those bigger, taller tight ends on the defensive or offensive line now.