Coach proud of team's GPA

2.57 for a guy playing football who is an engineering, biology, math major is not bad. 2.57 for anyone who is a full time student is unacceptable.

But if a football player was majoring in engineering, biology, or math chances are they are pretty serious about school and wouldn't have a 2.57.

But if a football player was majoring in engineering, biology, or math chances are they are pretty serious about school and wouldn't have a 2.57.

Tell that to my college roommate. He graduated with a 2.6 GPA as a mechanical engineering major, and he didn't even play any sports. He still managed to get a job making 60k a year right after graduation though, so it all worked out.

Tell that to my college roommate. He graduated with a 2.6 GPA as a mechanical engineering major, and he didn't even play any sports. He still managed to get a job making 60k a year right after graduation though, so it all worked out.

Any true science or math major is a billion times harder than any of your other garden variety majors. I had a 4.0 in Finance (I'm not smart, I just work sickeningly hard), but I know, I'd probably have been borderline 3.0, maybe sub 3.0 in any of those majors I just listed.

You're underestimating how brutally tough those majors are.

I get your point. Balancing football with majors like that is very tough considering they tough in their own right. Also, GPA is not the end all be all of determining what kind of student and how intelligent someone is. But I have plenty of friends who have graduated with high GPAs while balancing athletics or heavy workloads in those type of majors.

On the other hand, I think you underestimate the difficulty of some of the "crap" majors. Many people who are great in science and math have a hard time with writing and communications and find those classes extremely difficult. I for one, am a communication studies major, and while I don't find it difficult I don't think its a cake walk either. I'm taking that major because that is what I'm interested in, not because I want breeze through college.