BK calling out teams again for FCS scheduling

No hatred at all. I've been following the Irish since the 60's. It's just that I don't look at things through rose colored glasses. This team is good but not as good as a lot of people think they are.

No WOW factor in the games they have won, no killer instinct, questionable offensive play calling by BK, and a defense that has given up 113 points in the past 3 games.

They should be lucky to be ranked where they are. 7-1 is good but they could easily be 5-3. BK is playing with fire with this defense. They are going to get burned. Defense wins championships.

No hatred at all. I've been following the Irish since the 60's. It's just that I don't look at things through rose colored glasses. This team is good but not as good as a lot of people think they are.

No WOW factor in the games they have won, no killer instinct, questionable offensive play calling by BK, and a defense that has given up 113 points in the past 3 games.

They should be lucky to be ranked where they are. 7-1 is good but they could easily be 5-3. BK is playing with fire with this defense. They are going to get burned. Defense wins championships.

I stand corrected: you actually said something positive there ("this team is good BUT...", "7-1 is good BUT...").

Does there have to be a WOW? The 93 team didn't have that.

I do agree about the lack of killer instinct and declining defense.

I suppose we could be 5-3, but it's FAR less of a stretch to say we could also be 8-0.

Why will the defense get burned?

Defense wins championships? Dang, that phrase could stick.

If every teams CLOSE WINS were spun as possible losses then EVERY TEAM WOULD HAVE TWO LOSSES AT LEAST---

TCU could a lost last week and against Baylor so they like so many others COULD BE a two or three loss team

FSU could of lost to both Clemson and ND

Miss state could have lost to Arkansas

etc etc etc etc----woulda coulda shoulda is not really meaningful

WHY ARE WE 7-1 AND NOT 5-3----the answer is NOT LUCK--the answer is GOLSON___:grin::grin:

Stellar QB play is always what seperates the better teams from the pack

We are a VERY GOOD 7-1 with the single loss a controversial call against the #2 team....

We deserve to be in the mix and we are

aloha

it ha much to do with schedule strength in a thread about nd coach busting teams for playing weak teams

No, it is a straw man argument...

ND does not play FCS teams, this new playoff system was suppose to eliminate these stupid FCS vs Title contending teams. Kelly is right, it is simply another bye week.

Kelly is ABSOLUTELY right, he makes clever argument IMO, beyond taking his shot at some of the LUDICROUS games scheduled by many "power teams" he makes his own intrpretaton of "strength of schedule" .

That is not simply who was your best win but scheduling a FULL 12 GAME SLATE OF NATIONAL PROGRAMS!

When the #1 team in the country takes a pass on this weeks competition by playing the SKYHAWKS from the Ohio Valley C who to their credit have a crushing win over AUSTIN PEAY in their column----WHEN the #1 team does that IMO they open themselves up to Realistic criticism----its an embarrassment and somebody needed to say so.

aloha's

No, it is a straw man argument...

ND does not play FCS teams, this new playoff system was suppose to eliminate these stupid FCS vs Title contending teams. Kelly is right, it is simply another bye week.

not saying kelly is wrong.

but we dont play lsu, ole miss, miss state and auburn, do we?

BK should just be quiet actually and win first.

and come on man. u originally said my first post was completely off topic, that is what i disagreed with you about.

Edited by Parseghian's theorem
not saying kelly is wrong.

but we dont play lsu, ole miss, miss state and auburn, do we?

BK should just be quiet actually and win first.

and come on man. u originally said my first post was completely off topic, that is what i disagreed with you about.

Excuse me if I don't find two schools, Miss St and ole Miss, who don't have a 10 win season between them in the last 10 years two football superpowers all of the sudden.

didnt say they were superpowers, did i?

but they are at least formiddable opponents this year. and better than slmost everyone on our schedule

I don't really think they are all that much better than teams on our schedule. I think they are benefitting from a down year in the SEC and they look better than they are.

As of now, those two teams have 1 top 20 recruiting class between them of the 8 on their roster.

I think they are benefitting from 1 good win each. They are good teams, but I don't think they are dramtically better than FSU or ASU, if at all.

I'm not sure we're even watching the same games. I thought Kelly has been masterful with his playcalling to this point. Are you still holding a grudge? Because it smells like you're still holding a grudge against Kelly for his playcalling with Rees under center.

We're 17th in the nation with a 71.79% TD in the redzone(Should be 74.35% because of the FSU game...which would put us 7th)

I'm not sure we're even watching the same games. I thought Kelly has been masterful with his playcalling to this point. Are you still holding a grudge? Because it smells like you're still holding a grudge against Kelly for his playcalling with Rees under center.

We're 17th in the nation with a 71.79% TD in the redzone(Should be 74.35% because of the FSU game...which would put us 7th)

Don't forget the kneel down vs Navy was technically a RZ trip as well, makes them 76.3%, good for 4th best in the nation.

Edited by corysold
Don't forget the kneel down vs Navy was technically a RZ trip as well, makes them 76.3%, good for 4th best in the nation.

I get that people have formed their opinion against Kelly and refuse to give the man ANY credit. But you look at the playcalls outside the Stanford game in a monsoon...and he has been among the best in the nation at calling a game. No doubt. We were sold a bill of goods 4 years ago and it has finally come to fruition this season.

13th in the nation in converting on 3rd down against FBS foes...and he's had more 3rd down plays than any of the 12 schools in front of him. He's been phenomenal.

I definitely agree with you guys that BK's play calling has been solid, and our stats show it. But every team has its shouldawouldacouldas like ref robberies, kneel-downs, etc., so we should probably just accept that 17th number for now.

I think his point is more that those teams get to rest their starters much more than we do. They can develop and play 2nd and 3rd stringers and still win. Our starters have a lot more mileage on them.

very true.

sometimes i wonder if BK is actually doing amazing things with the team compared to another coach.

we dont always put teams away and play our backups at all.

is that just because our talent isnt actually as vast as some teams abd we have to scrape for every inch?

miami throttled unc and we didnt at all.

The SEC has mastered OOC scheduling to their advantage. Most of their teams play only FCS and very weak FBS teams. There are some games against good power five teams, but those usually happen at "neutral" sites that happen to be in SEC states where there is a clear home advantage. Very rarely do you get an SEC team playing a quality opponent in a true road game, such as Auburn at K State this year.

The net result is that between the 14 SEC teams, you end up with an aggregate OOC record of 50-6 or sometimes even better than that. Then, when those conference teams start playing each other, it beefs up their schedule strength because they all gave great records.

It takes very analytical second-level thinking to really look at how this inflates the SEC, the kind of thinking that poll and committee voters aren't going to do.