Texas to pay $10,000 per player (hypothetical)

Are you against paying players or do you think the schools can't afford it?

Both, ESPN makes it look like the money is an endless river flowing through college football. That is a myth.

Players should not be paid because:

1) They are well compensated, especially now that there is the free food thing, there is really no valid argument for the "poor players."

2) It would create boundless new loopholes in order to pay players and it would be the rich schools against the not rich schools. It would create even more separation between the top tier schools. (Notre Dame would easily be in the top tier on this, so its not like I fear for my team personally, I just want things to be as fair as possible.)

Yep, things are about to get weird.

I don't understand why they dont just allow the players to sell their signatures, sell their pictures, their likeness, ect. Then, the schools wouldn't be placed in a tricky financial arms race.

I mean, guys like Jameis Winston are already selling their signatures...

Bingo. If everybody is so concerned about the poor institutions not being able to afford it, why not let fans/boosters pay players for their autographs, memorabilia, etc. What's so morally bankrupt about that?

Bingo. If everybody is so concerned about the poor institutions not being able to afford it, why not let fans/boosters pay players for their autographs, memorabilia, etc. What's so morally bankrupt about that?

"Come to my school top recruit! Hell, I'll give your parents a house for a signed football right now and you haven't even played a down of college football"

I can see this getting out of hand.

"Come to my school top recruit! Hell, I'll give your parents a house for a signed football right now and you haven't even played a down of college football"

I can see this getting out of hand.

What's out of hand about that?

If someone thinks he's worth that and no school money is spent on the kids, what's it matter?

We already know stuff like this is already happening. The world will keep spinning.

What I don't want to see is schools themselves in a financial arms race for players where they're dishing out huge sums of cash for players that should be spent on more important school related material.

A player should be able to get his worth outside the game. Should be able to accept a lunch from people. Its ridiculous

What I don't want to see is schools themselves in a financial arms race for players where they're dishing out huge sums of cash for players that should be spent on more important school related material.

A player should be able to get his worth outside the game. Should be able to accept a lunch from people. Its ridiculous

Bingo.

If the players can command some extra cash, AND not compromise their obligations to the school and team via scholarship... let the markets tell us what's what.

As for the "slippery slope" and "they are well compensated" crowd, I don't hear you crying wolf that ND, USC and Bama can pay more for coaches... have better athletic facilities ... and so on.

The reality is that the schools / programs are NOT equal.. we already have "haves" & "have nots" ... and Football will not find parity as easily as basketball because of the size and complexity of the teams and facilities. Academic standards are not even equal, so the complaint about the slipper slope of letting players earn extra money seems really really hollow to me.

Life and the human condition is inherently unequal... we have different means and abilities, what we can share are common rules.

The ideal is that the number of schollies be linked to a rolling GSR score, and 4 year schollies... at least let's try to make it more about SCHOLAR-athlete, than the farce that it is for some (SEC) teams.

What's out of hand about that?

If someone thinks he's worth that and no school money is spent on the kids, what's it matter?

We already know stuff like this is already happening. The world will keep spinning.

You answered your own question. If it's coming from a booster, that's less a school gets. It's a HUGE Pandora's Box! :grin:

Both, ESPN makes it look like the money is an endless river flowing through college football. That is a myth.

Players should not be paid because:

1) They are well compensated, especially now that there is the free food thing, there is really no valid argument for the "poor players."

2) It would create boundless new loopholes in order to pay players and it would be the rich schools against the not rich schools. It would create even more separation between the top tier schools. (Notre Dame would easily be in the top tier on this, so its not like I fear for my team personally, I just want things to be as fair as possible.)

Cool, I can see that. But some school do have a river of money flowing with ticket sells, luxary suites, network deals, merchandising etc while other schools don't. So it's not fair now.

Cool, I can see that. But some school do have a river of money flowing with ticket sells, luxary suites, network deals, merchandising etc while other schools don't. So it's not fair now.

Sooo...do you want a 30 team CFB league then? Because that's how you get a 30 team CFB league....Essentially creating a true minor league for the NFL.

Sooo...do you want a 30 team CFB league then? Because that's how you get a 30 team CFB league....Essentially creating a true minor league for the NFL.

Ummm... that's what we already have ... most players are drafted from what teams / conferences?

Ummm... that's what we already have ... most players are drafted from what teams / conferences?

Not even close. Sure you have the superpowers in the top 25, but if they start paying players, it will be the same top 25 every year. No East Carolinas, no Boise States, no Marshalls. It will be the same year every year. The gap between the big schools will only widen.

Edited by NDhoosier
Not even close to. Sure you have the superpowers in the top 25, but if they start playing players, it will be the same top 25 every year. No East Carolinas, no Boise States, no Marshalls. It will be the same year every year. The gap between the big schools will only widen.

I respectfully disagree.

There will always be a East Caroline, BSU & Marshall... mostly because of scheduling quirks.

BSU is already populated by 3* players... the real limiter is the roster size.

In the *old* days, teams like ND could carry well over 100 scholarship players... not so now.

THere will always be a good coach / system, and some underappreciated talent that will push through.

ANd, again, I personally support allowing players to enter financial arrangements so long as it does not compromise their obligations to school and coach... which is a condition of the scholarship.

Not even close to. Sure you have the superpowers in the top 25, but if they start playing players, it will be the same top 25 every year. No East Carolinas, no Boise States, no Marshalls. It will be the same year every year. The gap between the big schools will only widen.

That's happening anyway with these super conferences being formed. it already split into fbs and fcs. it's coming.