Optimistic Thread, NAVY, Player and Team development

No, I don't want the turmoil to die down. I want to keep the heat on that ref, the NCAA and the ACC if possible. Whatever we can do as a group, let's do it. Petitions whatever, but I want to, at the same time, count our Blessings.

NAVY~~Now that is a blessing in itself. They aren't playing very well. They gave Ohio State a pretty good game but have since looked lethargic. They have 4 losses. They are a good tonic. We have two weeks to prepare and I love the fact that BVG won't lay back and read but will attack, attack, attack. Penetrate, shoot the gaps, gamble, disrupt the flow. Force quick decisions. I grew up with option football and understand it very well, but this team lacks any real threat to us. Winning big, scoring over 50 and our pain will subside substantially. Sorry it isn't this coming Saturday.

More games for us to watch!! This week Mississippi plays at an improving LSU team. LSU just smacked Kentucky who had been playing very good. We now have more games of interest as there are 6/7 teams ranked ahead of us. Mississippi plays Auburn the day we play Navy. At the end of the day (two weeks from now) we should be no. 5/6. Maybe even 4/5 depending on LSU.

Offensive Line~~We've been waiting for it to come together. I think it has. I look for a solid running game the rest of the year. This will help us attract another great back in this class. We are in on 3 highly regarded running backs. We just need one. I love Josh Adams and he may actually become that big back we are missing. They say he could easily get up to 230. He will be great coming out of the backfield.

Folston~~A star is born. Isn't it fun watching him become our best back. Look for a huge game against Navy.

Defense~~It just keeps getting better. The North Carolina game will make the ASU game much easier. We are now ASU fans until they play us. We need a quality win. Stanford is tanking. It's up to ASU and USC and I think they are up to the task. One of them should beat Oregon in the playoff.

Recruiting~~We added a great quarterback and it looks like an incredible haul at linebacker. Coney should jump on board as Florida falls into the ocean. We can cherry pick our way to signing day. The 3 star players have big upsides and mostly will redshirt as the program is so strong now.

Freshmen that played well~~Oh how this bodes well for the future!!! 8 true freshmen have played on defense. Here are 5 studs that will be very good for us for 3 more years. 1. Drue Tranquill~~Pure star. Speed and strength to burn. Very intelligent as we actually had to rely on him at safety during Purdue game. 225 lb. safety with 4.45 speed and benches 225 as many as 26 times. 2. Trumbetti~~Making plays as a freshman. thrives on BVG's attack system of shooting gaps. Will get bigger and stronger. 3. Kolin Hill~~Speed machine. Will add much needed bulk for next year. This is what BVG is looking for and finding abundantly. 4. Blankenship~~Seeing the field more and more. Getting very close to making plays. Tenacious and very quick. Future is bright. 5. Cage~~All this playing time will only help. Transforming himself under Longo. Will be more of a threat next year but so nice to have this big freshman.

We are still ranked 7/8. This is huge. We are in the thick of this. Check out the future schedule on ESPN. Lots of good games to move us up. We should be able to run the table. it won't be easy. I worry about ASU, USC and Louisville. This can be a great season. If we come back to get into the playoffs we will look at the FSU game as a blessing. It will make us stronger. Golson said this makes us hungrier.

We have a great program. It is still ascending. We are in the hunt. Recruiting is going well and getting better. Next year we start the season ranked in the top 5. Everything is still on the table. Let's go get it.

USC plays at Utah this Saturday. I think surely USC will prevail. Utah is ranked 19 and USC either 20 or 21 depending on the poll. A good win and USC should be ranked #18 and moving upward. I think this is critical as we need a couple good wins.

Oregon plays at Cal I believe on Friday. Certainly not a good chance for an upset but Cal has been scoring a lot of points. Anything is still possible.

One think that always lifts my spirits is the Notre Dame women basketball team. They will make a strong run at the national title. A new recruit was number one in the country and will even up the rebounding with Connecticut. Tune in and I guarantee you won't be disappointed.

No, I don't want the turmoil to die down. I want to keep the heat on that ref, the NCAA and the ACC if possible. Whatever we can do as a group, let's do it. Petitions whatever, but I want to, at the same time, count our Blessings.

NAVY~~Now that is a blessing in itself. They aren't playing very well. They gave Ohio State a pretty good game but have since looked lethargic. They have 4 losses. They are a good tonic. We have two weeks to prepare and I love the fact that BVG won't lay back and read but will attack, attack, attack. Penetrate, shoot the gaps, gamble, disrupt the flow. Force quick decisions. I grew up with option football and understand it very well, but this team lacks any real threat to us. Winning big, scoring over 50 and our pain will subside substantially. Sorry it isn't this coming Saturday.

More games for us to watch!! This week Mississippi plays at an improving LSU team. LSU just smacked Kentucky who had been playing very good. We now have more games of interest as there are 6/7 teams ranked ahead of us. Mississippi plays Auburn the day we play Navy. At the end of the day (two weeks from now) we should be no. 5/6. Maybe even 4/5 depending on LSU.

Offensive Line~~We've been waiting for it to come together. I think it has. I look for a solid running game the rest of the year. This will help us attract another great back in this class. We are in on 3 highly regarded running backs. We just need one. I love Josh Adams and he may actually become that big back we are missing. They say he could easily get up to 230. He will be great coming out of the backfield.

Folston~~A star is born. Isn't it fun watching him become our best back. Look for a huge game against Navy.

Defense~~It just keeps getting better. The North Carolina game will make the ASU game much easier. We are now ASU fans until they play us. We need a quality win. Stanford is tanking. It's up to ASU and USC and I think they are up to the task. One of them should beat Oregon in the playoff.

Recruiting~~We added a great quarterback and it looks like an incredible haul at linebacker. Coney should jump on board as Florida falls into the ocean. We can cherry pick our way to signing day. The 3 star players have big upsides and mostly will redshirt as the program is so strong now.

Freshmen that played well~~Oh how this bodes well for the future!!! 8 true freshmen have played on defense. Here are 5 studs that will be very good for us for 3 more years. 1. Drue Tranquill~~Pure star. Speed and strength to burn. Very intelligent as we actually had to rely on him at safety during Purdue game. 225 lb. safety with 4.45 speed and benches 225 as many as 26 times. 2. Trumbetti~~Making plays as a freshman. thrives on BVG's attack system of shooting gaps. Will get bigger and stronger. 3. Kolin Hill~~Speed machine. Will add much needed bulk for next year. This is what BVG is looking for and finding abundantly. 4. Blankenship~~Seeing the field more and more. Getting very close to making plays. Tenacious and very quick. Future is bright. 5. Cage~~All this playing time will only help. Transforming himself under Longo. Will be more of a threat next year but so nice to have this big freshman.

We are still ranked 7/8. This is huge. We are in the thick of this. Check out the future schedule on ESPN. Lots of good games to move us up. We should be able to run the table. it won't be easy. I worry about ASU, USC and Louisville. This can be a great season. If we come back to get into the playoffs we will look at the FSU game as a blessing. It will make us stronger. Golson said this makes us hungrier.

We have a great program. It is still ascending. We are in the hunt. Recruiting is going well and getting better. Next year we start the season ranked in the top 5. Everything is still on the table. Let's go get it.

your right as usual.

What I like is this is truly "the spread" offense called by Kelly.

That was what he had left to prove to me. Could his offense work at ND? Resounding yes

Defense is sunstainable and well coached.

Special Teams: Kicking game has been good. Returning game not so much. Coverage: pretty good

He as 3 QB's who look alike and a 4th on the way.

Lineman, Receivers, Linebackers, DB's.

Backs are looking better with Folston, Bryant (Adams) and whoever else we get

Keep in my mind the long term. It puts past pain in its place!

USC plays at Utah this Saturday. I think surely USC will prevail. Utah is ranked 19 and USC either 20 or 21 depending on the poll. A good win and USC should be ranked #18 and moving upward. I think this is critical as we need a couple good wins.

Oregon plays at Cal I believe on Friday. Certainly not a good chance for an upset but Cal has been scoring a lot of points. Anything is still possible.

Oregon will have to play Stanford, Utah, and someone in the Pac12 Championship. They will have tough games, but I dont see Cal putting up much of a fight.

We need some good wins going forward, victory and perception. Getting into the season all we really needed was 11 wins and a good showing against FSU to get into the playoffs, and we have that.

If getting f***ed galvanizes the players and they play for a rematch against FSU in the playoffs (Tell me ESPN isn't drooling for that) the next six weeks could be a good time for an ND fan.

I have never seen Golson play with a chip. I have seen him play inspired, but never seen him play angry. I am not sure that I will, he doesn't seem like that kind of guy, but he if he plays like he did the first three games ND can beat anyone. The D seems to get better every week, aside from a hiccup against NC.

Depending on who decides to head for the league, next year could be even better than this year.

We need some good wins going forward, victory and perception. Getting into the season all we really needed was 11 wins and a good showing against FSU to get into the playoffs, and we have that.

If getting f***ed galvanizes the players and they play for a rematch against FSU in the playoffs (Tell me ESPN isn't drooling for that) the next six weeks could be a good time for an ND fan.

I have never seen Golson play with a chip. I have seen him play inspired, but never seen him play angry. I am not sure that I will, he doesn't seem like that kind of guy, but he if he plays like he did the first three games ND can beat anyone. The D seems to get better every week, aside from a hiccup against NC.

Depending on who decides to head for the league, next year could be even better than this year.

Who Heads To The League???

I Say Nobody!!! The main threats are Day and Jarron Jones and I just don't see them going. First, Jones is still developing and Day is such a Notre Dame person (not saying Jones isn't). Day will want to come back and lead the 2015 team that returns 21 starters. Don't you think Jaylon will have his attention??? Especially after Niklas and Tuitt left early and Kelly had a meltdown. Kelly wants guys to stay 4 years and get their degrees. Remember we recruit the 40 year plan and not the 3/4 year plan.

Faith is right about the spread offense and how important it is to have all the pieces. The most important piece of course is the quarterback and I have never been more excited about that position than I am now. Actually it is an embarrassment of riches. 1. Golson 2.Malik 3. Kizer 4. Winbush 5. Henry???? That is absolutely absurd.

I had a thread a few weeks ago that we were no longer getting screwed by the refs. I actually believed it myself. Things certainly did improve.

I WANT TO JOIN THE CONFERENCE

Look, they are going to do their best to keep us down if we aren't part of the conference. It wasn't just the last couple of so called 'blown' calls. There were numerous non calls during the game. FSU had the green light to hold all night long.

Let's be able to play for a conference championship. Let's have one extra game like the other beg teams. Seriously, we are missing the boat with this one. The ACC allows us to play in a lot of big arenas and especially in the South. Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, etc.... Guys, it's time. Anybody have Swarbrick's phone number????

Great post, great thread. Still feeling pissed about last Saturday night, but sometimes it's good to take a step back and look at all the positives. At least it's not the Willingham era!

I keep my rage at bay by dreaming up ways for FSU to drop a game (maybe Louisville....or to the husk of a program that used to be Da U?) and have to watch US get the nod over them in the playoff as a result. Here's may latest:

Ole Miss - loses to LSU and Auburn to drop out of contention completely...

Miss State - loses to Auburn and Ole Miss in the Egg Bowl to drop out...

Auburn - loses to Bama and they're out with 2 L's

That leaves the Alabama-UGa winner from SEC title game in...

Oregon wins out, and they are in...

Sparty wins out, and they are in...

FSU drops a game to an after thought school and drops to #5 and gets to howl for eternity about how THEY BEAT the team that got voted in ahead of them.....WELCOME TO 1993 YOU SEMINOLE BITCHES....MUWHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

I WANT TO JOIN THE CONFERENCE

Guys, it's time.

Okie, I always respect your enthusiasm and energy, but

HELLZ...TO...THE...NO

It's "time" for what? To cave to the passive aggressive pressure that conferences are trying to put on us? To make ourselves beholden to other institutions' interests and regional leniencies? I can think of plenty of past instances when it was more "time" than it is now, and ND still held onto its rightful independent status. Swarbrick promised nothing of the sort unless something seismic occurs. No seismic activity is currently detected.

If we join, we are playing right into their hands. This should make us all the more determined to run our OWN ship.

NO to a Conference.

Swarbrick has worked hard for have a "Conference Lite" version.

ND's independence is special... and it allows us to keep a national identity and play premier teams across the spectrum (except for SEC, who doesn't want the world to see their invincibility cloak is thin).

I think it is better to keep the push on highlighting and shaming the biased officiating.

The ONE thing the NCAA could do is be responsible for all officials and their assignments, it shouldn't be left to conferences. The refs paycheck should not be threatened by local / conference influence.

I understand the opposition to joining a conference, but this stealing games by the refs will never stop. In 2005 we had a shot at the title but the USC game derailed it. Everybody was upset by the Bush push and putting time back on the clock, but the game was actually 'stolen' several series earlier when Notre Dame had stopped a USC drive and was up by two scores. A flag was thrown on Derek Landri and USC given new life and they scored. The flag was totally bogus and you can see the ref reach for his flag as the play begins. Landri did absolutely nothing.

These lost games affect recruiting. We do so well when we are winning. If joining the conference stopped the cheating I would have to be all for it. I would also like to be able to win the conference crown. Just so sick of this cheating. Usually it is done so well that most guys here don't see it. When you have to do it on the last play of the game it is much more obvious.

Joining a conference won't put a stop to bad calls. Think back to MSU last year and 2010. Last year their refs blew some calls that put them in really bad spots. In 2010, the crew we brought missed the play clock at 0:00 as well as the hold on Harrison Smith.

This stuff happens.

What I really think will be the tipping point is if we repeatedly see conf champs and teams with the 13th game get favoritism when it comes to selection time. We may really miss the last chance to win and impress.

A conference is a terrible idea.

8 ACC games. USC and Stanford. Navy.

Then you have to say goodbye to Texas, Georgia, AM, Ohio St etc.

Otherwise you play either the most difficult schedule in all of college football, or you don't get to recruiting hotbeds like Texas and Cali ever.

I understand the opposition to joining a conference, but this stealing games by the refs will never stop. In 2005 we had a shot at the title but the USC game derailed it.

Our performance in the bowl game later gives me belief that we had NO shot at the title that year. Granted, this all leads to alternate realities, but I think at some point we would've been exposed anyway.

Everybody was upset by the Bush push and putting time back on the clock, but the game was actually 'stolen' several series earlier ...

USC fans can point out some errant calls on the other side as well, like a clip during Zibby's PR.

I'm still uncomfortable with giving in to conferences' perceived pressure/punishment by joining them. The bigger issue is how hilarious it is that conferences HATE Notre Dame -- because they WANT us so bad and can't have us! Hell hath no fury like teams & conferences scorned, I guess.

The Sky is not falling Tim. We are ND! With the high profile comes all the jealousy, hate, and love. Eliminate conference affiliated referees. Take the NFL model and implement that.

OK!!! I guess I will give in to the consensus. I just wish we could solve this problem and joining a conference would not automatically solve it anyway.

Back to the 2005 game, yeah we had flaws and probably would have lost to Texas, but our offense was cooking and it had a chance to outscore them for the title. I just want a fair shot. Is that too much to ask??

With all this said, this thread is about the state of the program and I think it is constantly on the upswing. Losing Golson last year slowed it down but now we are back on track. We have established that this team can play exciting defense and we all know that players are developing rapidly in our system.

We also know that BVG is extremely happy at Notre Dame and is intrigued by the school like no place he has ever been. I just don't see anything derailing the train for the next few years. With that said, I have seen us have a bunch of highly recruited quarterbacks on the roster at one time and all of a sudden we only have Tommy Rees.

Back to topic of optimism and 'feel good' items here are a couple things that are a product of the program 'having arrived'.

1. Recruiting~~2016 is going to be a killer class. Not only have we started out with a 5 star (Kramer), but at certain positions we will only take 4/5 star athletes. Why? Because we are already loaded.

a. Offensive Line~~You can bet your bottom dollar that anybody we take is going to be a super stud. It may be 3, 4 or 5 guys, but we are already loaded for bear.

b. linebacker~~We are starting to become linebacker U with this current class. With Morgan redshirted and then bringing in Billal, Barajas and Coney that means we have 4 super stud, fast athletic linebackers with 4 years of eligibility on next years team. Why on earth would we settle for anything short of a 4/5 star stud??

c. Receiver~~Holy Batman are we loaded. With DeVaris coming back and the surgence of Robinson and Fuller are we ever stacked. Hunter will be an elite slot and Chris Brown a super seasoned veteran. We add our fastest player in Sanders and Boykin could be another Michael Floyd. With Golson up for the Heisman how could we not attract elite receivers. See what happens when we start winning??

d. Quarterback~~We are leading on Malik Henry a 5 star. The only reason we may not get him is because we will have 4 dynamic quarterbacks already in the wings. No way we take anything other than spectacular. How impressive was it to get Winbush when everybody thought we were done?? I'm telling you Notre Dame has tremendous appeal to quarterbacks all over the country. It is the most glamorous position in all of college sports. The Notre Dame Quarterback.

e. Defensive Line~~You say why will this be elite. It will be elite because we have a lot of numbers with this freshman haul coupled with last years haul. Absolutely no need to take numbers. The only need is top quality. We will take our time and only offer top 4 star talent. In the meantime, look for us to develop these big 3 star kids and probably redshirt all three in the next freshman class. Keep an eye on Micah Dew-Treadway. He is my underrated recruit for this class.

So many reasons for optimism despite the screw job. Getting Coney at this time after the loss was great salve for the wound. Let's start by pummeling Navy and then move back up the food chain. Two possibilities this week, LSU could beat Mississippi and South Carolina could beat Auburn. Yeah, unlikely, but upsets will happen. They always do!!!

Its becoming CRYSTAL CLEAR OKIE---

This program , one year removed from the title game, has more FORWARD MOMENTUM then ND has seen since 88-93 ---

Lets hope nothing unusual rolls down the track to derail us.....as long as its ALL ABOUT FOOTBALL....we are ROLLING!

aloha's

Turning to Navy, BVG has not played an option team in TEN YEARS. I'm still not worried as he went immediately into film study following our supposed loss to FSU. What BVG surely understands is that you must be aggressive to stop the triple option. You must penetrate and take them out of their running lanes. Feeling very confident here.

Game is on CBS. Nice to have all the networks fighting to televise our games. The ratings for the FSU game were off the charts and that bodes well for future TV contracts. No wonder people are so jealous. Keep the ball rolling.

No injuries sustained from the FSU game. This is huge. We are trying to redshirt Williams, Bonner and others.

Turning to Navy, BVG has not played an option team in TEN YEARS. I'm still not worried as he went immediately into film study following our supposed loss to FSU. What BVG surely understands is that you must be aggressive to stop the triple option. You must penetrate and take them out of their running lanes. Feeling very confident here.

im very curious to see how BVG defends navy. I have a feeling he wont sit back and let the option come to him but instead attack the line and blow it up before it starts.

also I think this is the game where we will see a heavy does of greg Bryant. even though it'll be against an undersized defense GB should finish the game feeling pretty good about his play moving forward.

Hopefully this is the game we get to see Malik as well. If Van Gorder stops them I think we will put up a lot of points. I worry about Malik's attitude. It would be great to get a couple series and put up some points.