Golston

nickman54

You are not sounding like a jerk. All I'm saying is a QB doesn't go from being a first class QB and in 3 games has problems holding on to the ball that can't be corrected.

I think Everett is trying to hit the home run on most plays, he needs to hit the check down every now and then. Once the ball is snapped its on him, not the coach. You also need to look at the competition, it got a little better the last 3 games.

If Lou had players who had a problem holding on the ball he would have them carry the ball to classes, carry the ball in the dining halls....and everyone who saw the player carrying the ball was instructed to try and punch the ball loose.

Maybe, but we don't live in 1992 anymore, just sayin. Sometimes we have to embrace hope and change. lol

He is learning on the fly to stay in the pocket longer. He won't become great at it overnight. Unfortunately, it takes away from some of his natural escape ability. At this point, I would just let natural instincts take over. Golson seems to be better when he just plays and doesn't think so much. At some point, he needs to become more of a pocket passer though, and I don't blame the coaching staff for trying to instill that in his mind.

I'm a little surprised by this thread (which shouldn't be surprising considering the OP couldn't even spell Golson's name correctly). Certainly, Golson has room to improve but that's not because he's performing badly, it's simply because he is that incredibly talented. I did see a few off target throws (three, maybe) and he still needs to improve his security/awareness. Buuuuuut, focusing on those ignores all of the amazing throws he made in the game which far outnumber the poor ones. He's hitting tight windows, keeping plays alive and continuing to show a dedication to improving (and getting results). Through 6 games, he has 17 touchdowns. That's roughly 3 tds per game. Our team is scoring 34.5 points per game (most since Chaz's first season) and, don't kid yourself, it's ALL because of Golson.

I can't easily recall a better season by an ND QB. Clausen had less turnovers but also less touchdowns (and, couldn't punch in game winners). Quinn is close but he was certainly less accurate and Golson is looking to top his TD numbers as well.

All in all, this is kind of a silly thread. Coming off of the Rees era, being critical of Golson is really looking a gift horse in the mouth. We get it, he's not complete. It's his second season of Cfb, folks. ...he's pretty amazing.

the OP spelled it wrong on purpose

and golson cant turn the ball over like he has been.

the interceptions havent been a huge problem, but the fumbles are absurd. just slide dude.

the first carolina fumble was kind of a fluke. he stepped up and went to make a throw. tom brady or peyton manning do that all the time. bur they are taller (and peyton manning is actually a very very big man).

golson is 5'11' so that doesnt help him. IMO he could have pulled it down and ran then.

the difference is it feels like he is trying to be a better pocket passer which is good. but he just needs to play his style and protext thr FB.

Edited by Parseghian's theorem

The interceptions don't bother me as much as the fumbles do. He almost always loses the ball when he gets tackled on a run play. I don't understand why, for the life of me doesn't he just effing slide? Why haven't the coaches instructed him to slide? He should be doing that for ball security and to avoid injury from a big hit.

the interceptions havent been a huge problem' date=' but the fumbles are absurd. just slide dude.[/quote']

I've gotten to the point where every time golson takes off and runs I worry that he's going to get stripped of the ball. I've never seen a ball carrier with such poor ball security when he runs and at this point in his career I don't think you can coach it out of him, I think this is the type of player he is. even when he throws the ball he's back to not using the laces, when he gets into game mode he reverts back to what he normally does.

after golson's second fumble and he 3rd turnover of the game I was to the point I wanted to see ziare get his shot at qb. golson Is turning the ball over at an alarming rate, I mean tommy reese was never that bad.

Without a doubt, he could improve upon the fumbles. The fix there is pretty simple, IMHO and I guess I'm just one that doesn't view that as a cause for concern. He has shown marked improvement in all other parts of his game continues to transition from a sandlot player to more of a refined QB. For instance, the last season he was on the field, he was a guy that would consistently try to force passes instead of throwing it away. This year, he has had a healthy habit of tossing it if the play isn't there (there have been two picks where he could have thrown it away this year, but i viewed those more as taking a legit shot rather than throwing up jump balls for grabs).

I'll take the fumbles knowing that A) the other parts of his game are improving and are more important to his/the team's progression and B) that this can be repaired, even in season. The staff will get him to tuck the ball properly and until then, he'll continue to tear it up in the other phases of his game.

The interceptions don't bother me as much as the fumbles do. He almost always loses the ball when he gets tackled on a run play. I don't understand why, for the life of me doesn't he just effing slide? Why haven't the coaches instructed him to slide? He should be doing that for ball security and to avoid injury from a big hit.

They bother when they are a pick 6 in our end of the field or when we are in the red zone going into to score.

For having only started for a year and a half's worth of games, I'd say he isn't behind on turnovers and is way ahead on clutch. I get the criticism but I think we forget he's not even started for a full year yet. These are teachable moments and I, like you, hope he improves upon them. But his winning is off the charts. Have to love his potential!

I hear you DJ... But I get the feeling he is regressing. Maybe he is feeling the pressure more now. He seems indecisive in the pocket, careless with the ball and is staring down receivers. I cant argue with the "winning" part, but I think we are seeing something. Maybe its just me, but there was a moment on the sideline that CBK was trying to talk to him (after the pick or fumble.. not sure which) where EG just turned around and walked away in mid sentence of what looked like coach trying to have one of those teaching moments. EG looked like he wanted no part of it and seemed like coach chirped at him that he wasn't finished. It almost seemed like EG was arguing with coach. People I was watching the game with noticed it too. Maybe its nothing... but I see a pattern developing. Don't Do Too Much Everett!

For having only started for a year and a half's worth of games, I'd say he isn't behind on turnovers and is way ahead on clutch. I get the criticism but I think we forget he's not even started for a full year yet. These are teachable moments and I, like you, hope he improves upon them. But his winning is off the charts. Have to love his potential!

He has started 1.5 years. He still has more to develop, but it does seem like he is a bit slower on fully understanding a defense than some others.

But he is ahead if some as well. As long as he keeps getting better, that is all you can ask for.

Some of the criticisms of Golson on this thread are ridiculously over the top.

Golson's 16-4 TD to INT ratio is nothing short of excellent---He is playing behind an oline that was REBUILT after it lost its strong side to the NFL---He is coming off a year away---He lost his #1 receiver to suspension---He has very little support from the run game----

AND YET WE ARE SCORING BUNCHES OF POINTS & WINNING EVERY GAME!

Golson has been a playmaker--a leader--a clutch player- a durable QB not missing a play yet!!!---a TD thrower and a TIMELY runner getting many 3rd downs & TDs----

THE SINGLE Flaw in his game has been the fumbling issue----its not what you want but its far from fatal and much more correctable then a QB throwing picks or showing happy feet under pressure.....

Golson was NOT a chronic fumbler in 2012--so this will go away. The fumble in the pocket while throwing was NOTHING--that was on the OLINE and just a COINCIDENCE it came within a cluster,,,,, even the fumble against Stanford on the 15 when he was hit, was more on STANFORDS DEFENSE a nice helmet shot to the ball will knock it out, those two were NOT bad fumbles.

THE GLARING MISTAKES have come on sort of successful runs when HE lets go of the BALL FAR TOO EARLY & EASY for a QB that wants to rely on his movement and runs to get critical 3rd downs. That happened 2 or maybe 3 times

THOSE THREE fumbles are the only real MARK against EG

He is 15-1 as a starter --has taken us to the title game--has been the critical factor in getting us to 6-0--and is taking us to the GAME OF THE YEAR AGAINST THE 22in a row FSU-----

A few years ago I doubted we might even be in a "game of the year" again!

AND If we have any chance in this game its because of EVERETT GOLSON!----

COLOR ME THRILLED TO HAVE GOLSON AS OUR QB FOR THE NEXT HOPEFULLY 20 GAMES!!!

aloha's

Edited by hawaiiirish

I blame the islander Hawaii for making my expectations to high on Golston. He pumped him up to be a mythical creature during the offseason and I expect perfection.:grin: Actually, I just think he needs to check down more on 2nd down and make it easier on himself for 3rd down. The fumbles have to stop, period.

Some of the criticisms of Golson on this thread are ridiculously over the top.

Golson's 16-4 TD to INT ratio is nothing short of excellent---He is playing behind an oline that was REBUILT after it lost its strong side to the NFL---He is coming off a year away---He lost his #1 receiver to suspension---He has very little support from the run game----

AND YET WE ARE SCORING BUNCHES OF POINTS & WINNING EVERY GAME!

Golson has been a playmaker--a leader--a clutch player- a durable QB not missing a play yet!!!---a TD thrower and a TIMELY runner getting many 3rd downs & TDs----

THE SINGLE Flaw in his game has been the fumbling issue----its not what you want but its far from fatal and much more correctable then a QB throwing picks or showing happy feet under pressure.....

Golson was NOT a chronic fumbler in 2012--so this will go away. The fumble in the pocket while throwing was NOTHING--that was on the OLINE and just a COINCIDENCE it came within a cluster,,,,, even the fumble against Stanford on the 15 when he was hit, was more on STANFORDS DEFENSE a nice helmet shot to the ball will knock it out, those two were NOT bad fumbles.

THE GLARING MISTAKES have come on sort of successful runs when HE lets go of the BALL FAR TOO EARLY & EASY for a QB that wants to rely on his movement and runs to get critical 3rd downs. That happened 2 or maybe 3 times

THOSE THREE fumbles are the only real MARK against EG

He is 15-1 as a starter --has taken us to the title game--has been the critical factor in getting us to 6-0--and is taking us to the GAME OF THE YEAR AGAINST THE 22in a row FSU-----

A few years ago I doubted we might even be in a "game of the year" again!

AND If we have any chance in this game its because of EVERETT GOLSON!----

COLOR ME THRILLED TO HAVE GOLSON AS OUR QB FOR THE NEXT HOPEFULLY 20 GAMES!!!

aloha's

Thank you for articulating my point better than I was able to. We are in a magical season in terms of qb play and I, for one, am determined to sit back and enjoy it.