Mayock and Hicks Suck

Absolutely, I couldn't tell but it didn't seem like he got many snaps in the first half? They showed him on the sidelines during one drive and I wasn't sure what was going on. CRob is a force on multiple fronts at this point. Kid will be an absolute stud if we get all four years from him (thinking his Dad will have something to say about leaving early anyway)

I know people have been saying Mayock is an anti-homer announcer for ND for awhile now, but this is getting ridiculous. How many times does he have to blatently go against ND when it comes to calls on the field? And Hicks wouldn't stop with the "controversial" ending bs every time the 2012 goal line stand came up. IT WASN'T CONTROVERSIAL-THEY STOPPED THEM STOP SAYING IT WAS.

I don't think Mayock is anti ND, but most members of the media are just trash who are jealous of ND because they know they had ZERO chance of ever being accepted into the University. That's my ridiculous stance on the scumbags that talk trash about ND. It's crazy how rude they are about ND and the KIDS that attend this University. Most are better representatives of humanity than any other school's students. We have some amazing kids. But Mayock seems like an ok guy, I don't have any issues with him BUT....today was ridiculous. There was no evidence showing Robinson's catch hitting the ground. He caught it, plain and simple. The ball bounced off of his fingers that were sandwiched between the ground and the ball. I actually was shocked the ground didn't aid in that catch. Also I couldn't agree more about the controversy. We stopped Stanford. The final play was a play that was never ending. The runner was stopped....then he tried to get into the endzone again...he was stopped....then he tried again and he was still stopped. The refs blew the play dead as they should've, and ND players stopped playing. If Manti kept playing he could've easily ripped the ball out of the RB's hands. The play was over....Stanford lost fair and square. End of story. I was getting annoyed with the announcers as well that they kept giggling when referring to the "controversial" ending. Ummmmm nope, they were stuffed and we won. We gave them the game today and they still couldn't beat us. Elmer did everything in his power to allow Stanford's front to get ridiculous push time after time. He was my favorite O-line recruit over the past half-decade and he's not looking good, I don't care about age at this point, that's just an excuse....we've got to have someone who is better. He'll get better with time, but right now he's KILLING our team. If I were Golson I'd constantly be looking and fearful about the right side of my line with Elmer in. We also are short so many scholly's when you look at all of the scholarship voids (giving scholarships to senior walk-on's doesn't equate to a scholarship being properly used). Finally, we're missing KEY contributors on both sides due to this ridiculously long suspension process. It's beyond absurd. Unless the school truly needed this much time to make sure every stone is unearthed, then that's the only acceptable reason for the length of this hearing process. GO IRISH!

Not going to lie, I thought the pass to Corey bounced off the turf too. I was quite a ways away from the TV at that point but I thought he was correct on that.

CRob clearly caught that ball. The ball clearly bounced off of his hands. Mayock would not let up and was stubborn.

they aren't supposed to be on our side.

they are supposed to try to be objective and tell the viewer what is happening.

Actually there is an announcer and then a color commentator. Mayock is the CC. He is suppose to give his expert opinion on what just happened.

Mayock has not been objective in my opinion. He tries so hard to not be pro-ND that he comes off as anti-ND.

CRob clearly caught that ball. The ball clearly bounced off of his hands. Mayock would not let up and was stubborn.

Actually there is an announcer and then a color commentator. Mayock is the CC. He is suppose to give his expert opinion on what just happened.

Mayock has not been objective in my opinion. He tries so hard to not be pro-ND that he comes off as anti-ND.

Dude. I know there is an announcer and an analyst in the booth or a "color man."

mayock isn't anti-ND. again, you guys just get too upset if he isn't puffing ND's weiner the entire game.

Dude. I know there is an announcer and an analyst in the booth or a "color man."

mayock isn't anti-ND. again, you guys just get too upset if he isn't puffing ND's weiner the entire game.

I don't think people are getting upset because Mayock isn't fellating the Irish. I think people are getting upset because the vast majority of his comments are slanted against the Irish. Did we watch different games? It was SO BAD tonight, my entire family was cracking jokes. Come on PT. Are you honestly asking us to believe you didn't notice? Honestly?

This. So much.

He is incapable of admitting he was wrong. The Cory Robinson catch clearly hit his hands and caused the bounce yet he wouldn't relent.

Agreed. Mayock is a really smart guy and definitely knows his football. HOWEVER, you're absolutely right about his utter inability to admit that he was wrong. He simply refuses to believe that he could actually be wrong about anything. It's really irritating.

I don't usually pay that close of attention to the announcing, but damn he was awful today. there was one time when he said "I don't know if he got the face mask", when you could clearly see the Stanford player grabbed the ND player's face mask so that it turned the guys head around. I don't know how he didn't see that when it looked pretty clear.

Let's not forget the play where EG completed a pass (to whoever) and the defender clearly got his hand in the facemask of the receiver and was called for it. Even after the replay mayock still said he didn't think it was a facemask penalty.

And the pass to CRob, to me it was clear he had both hands together under the ball for a completion. Ball bounced off a hard surface...........HIS HANDS

I don't think people are getting upset because Mayock isn't fellating the Irish. I think people are getting upset because the vast majority of his comments are slanted against the Irish. Did we watch different games? It was SO BAD tonight, my entire family was cracking jokes. Come on PT. Are you honestly asking us to believe you didn't notice? Honestly?

^^^^ this.

Man, I have to go back and watch this game. i didn't think he was all that bad. The CRob play was iffy so I didn't get that offended. The face mask call was wrong but I think ND was running a play when they showed the last replay of the blatant grab. I don't know, I was at Zipps bar so I couldn't here all the commentary on the game. I'll reply after I rematch it.

The facemask call which he didn't repent on was probably the only call I think where he I thought hey, that's completely wrong.

I didn't realise there was so many pre-pubescent kids allowed to drink, watch ND games and then post on this board.

He is an announcer, get over it. He calls what he sees, good and bad. We are not good in a lot of departments so when we get our OL blown up then you know what, he's going to say we suck. Likewise when Golson is playing like ****.

This. So much.

He is incapable of admitting he was wrong. The Cory Robinson catch clearly hit his hands and caused the bounce yet he wouldn't relent.

I agree...at first I thought the ball bounced.

Saw the replay and felt better...great job Corey.

Then Mayock is saying it hit the turf...what the hell is he seeing!!!

His hands were under the ball on the catch. Mayock couldn't believe they called that a catch. A couple plays later there was a facemask that was obvious against Stanford. He kept saying I don't know even after they showed it super slow mo. Mayock said that's really tight not sure about that. I thought it was a catch as soon as I saw first replay. They acted like no way possible it was.

Hicks seems o.k. to me. For the record, he is married to an ND alum (ESPN's Hannah Storm).

Mayock seems like a good guy, too. I appreciate his nuanced insights. However, more than once this year he has been really stupid about a replay. I kept yelling at him today that Corey's hands were UNDER the ball and that is why it 'bounced'. Ugh!

It was almost like because the ball bounced he automatically assumed it had to have hit the ground.