Throwing to Our Running Backs

I have been waiting for this. So have some of you. I was reading Marc Edwards column on Irish Illustrated and he stated that we threw to the backs 4 times against Purdue for 60 yards. That is one important stat and it can only get better.

Once these backs learn the ropes they will be targeted more and more by Golson. When Brady Quinn was here he threw 50 times to his running back (Walker). A lot of those times he was not the primary receiver but he was the dump man. It worked to perfection.

Edwards said that when he was with the 49ers they just called that a long hand off, so if you add 60 yards to the rushing total it doesn't look so bad.

I believe we will run the ball better against Syracuse. I believe Golson will continue to take care of the ball and the best is yet to come. Let's get healthy, and hopefully get our players back.

I liked how Bryant bailed out EG on Saturday. That was nice.

Throwing to backs has made me nervous since BK came over. It wasn't that long ago when we just couldn't get down how important it is to get that pass past the LOS.

Marc was on the radio broadcast over the weekend. Was good to hear from him.

Passes don't have to be behind the line of scrimmage to throw to the backs. The wheel route is a prime example and very difficult to cover. I also like slipping the back through the line of scrimmage and finding a seam over the middle. Give these guys some space and they will make things happen.

I liked how Bryant bailed out EG on Saturday. That was nice.

Throwing to backs has made me nervous since BK came over. It wasn't that long ago when we just couldn't get down how important it is to get that pass past the LOS.

Marc was on the radio broadcast over the weekend. Was good to hear from him.

you mean the play where Bryant failed to pick up the blitzing corner. and then golson bailed him out by making the corner miss? oh yeah.

golson turned the negative into the positive. not bryant.

and keep the talk on football. not your little childish quips.

eh, seems to me Bryant made a move to get open even if he didn't pick up his man. that was a nice touch by Golson...your buddy LaFleur is doing a good job so far lol

seems you get lots of little childish quips, you've brought the best out of DD posters since you and your however many handles graced the board. no wonder you're #1 on the all time DD ignore list. Go ahead and add another point to your tally.

Edited by Scotty88
eh, seems to me Bryant made a move to get open even if he didn't pick up his man. that was a nice touch by Golson...your buddy LaFleur is doing a good job so far lol

seems you get lots of little childish quips, you've brought the best out of DD posters since you and your however many handles graced the board. no wonder you're #1 on the all time DD ignore list. Go ahead and add another point to your tally.

So if Golson got sacked on that play, then what say you?

Is be surprised if Bryant was block and release if no one to block.

But there was someone to block. He didn't block him. GOLSON bailed him out.

I get added to ignore lists cuz when I disagree with someone's point they get upset and cry in the corner.

But even posters who ignore me constantly reference me.

So if Golson got sacked on that play, then what say you?

Is be surprised if Bryant was block and release if no one to block.

But there was someone to block. He didn't block him. GOLSON bailed him out.

I get added to ignore lists cuz when I disagree with someone's point they get upset and cry in the corner.

But even posters who ignore me constantly reference me.

so you can quote someone on your ban list.

Golson did not get sacked and both he and GB adjusted to the play.

I liked that and that was my point, puny taters

I believe if that happened at other points, something bad happens. Good players make things happen when breakdowns occur.

feel free to insert final word on this subject.

Off topic but I think of this every time I read a thread like this.

I'm in the Dallas-Fort Worth area.

If ND were somehow magically to make it to the championship game, I'm going to host a happy hour or some other get together for Domer Domainers who travel to the game. I think it would be an awesome event. Even those posters who disagree the most with each other and call each other out so much would probably have a great time. It would be a lot of fun to have a loud bar-room type discussion with fans of the same team who are so passionate.

Now, back to topic.

If ND were somehow magically to make it to the championship game, I'm going to host a happy hour or some other get together for Domer Domainers who travel to the game. I think it would be an awesome event. Even those posters who disagree the most with each other and call each other out so much would probably have a great time. It would be a lot of fun to have a loud bar-room type discussion with fans of the same team who are so passionate.Now, back to topic.

Uh ... Duh... When isn't that fun? :)

If ND were somehow magically to make it to the championship game, I'm going to host a happy hour or some other get together for Domer Domainers who travel to the game. I think it would be an awesome event. Even those posters who disagree the most with each other and call each other out so much would probably have a great time. It would be a lot of fun to have a loud bar-room type discussion with fans of the same team who are so passionate.

Now, back to topic.

I'm rolling with Indydad if this ever happens lol!

Agreed, back to topic.

I have met some Domer Domainers that I didn't agree with politically and we became great friends. Our common bond is stronger than our differences. I think it would go better than you think.

Back to topic, I rewatched the game last night as I was thumbing the channels and suddenly there was the replay. Throwing to the running backs is actually what got us going and I think it must be used more especially when Golson can't find his original targets. Folston had a really nice run after catch and Bryant can be lethal. I think if we fully incorporate this element that Golson can be a 70% passer.

• 2 weeks later...
We need to get the ball to Bryant in space. He's had no room to run. This is what this offense needs to be more productive.

we need to get the ball to ANYONE, ANYBODY IN SPACE

actually have players being able to run after they catch the ball

(they have mastered the sideline catches where they are immediately tackled)

have the rb's motion to the wideout, etc

they need to get more creative with ways to use playmakers going forward:hurt:

we need to get the ball to ANYONE, ANYBODY IN SPACE

actually have players being able to run after they catch the ball

(they have mastered the sideline catches where they are immediately tackled)

have the rb's motion to the wideout, etc

they need to get more creative with ways to use playmakers going forward:hurt:

They were Marc. Using Torri in motion, two backs in the gun and a diamond formation

screens to fuller, Folston and Robinson,

the above play action back to the flat play.

Think your comment was meant for before the bye week, but after the bye they have clearly addressed your concern..

They were Marc. Using Torri in motion, two backs in the gun and a diamond formation

screens to fuller, Folston and Robinson,

the above play action back to the flat play.

Think your comment was meant for before the bye week, but after the bye they have clearly addressed your concern..

I believe that this is the primary way to beat the Cardinal. Must play to our speed and the edges. I just wish we had a TE worth anything.

my complaint is more directed on the inability to have pass routes that allow receivers to get yards after the catch.

and the "getting the ball to the playmakers to make plays" has been few and far between in my opinion

the offense hasn't been as explosive as a lot projected it to be and when coupled with struggling to run the ball it's frustrating

the opponents they've beat thus far haven't tested them / ND and particularly Golson have compiled decent stats maybe unimpressive in doing so but nonetheless they've done it

I think these under utilized players and positions have to do more and BK has to get more creative by the week to improve as the opponents get better.

Passes don't have to be behind the line of scrimmage to throw to the backs. The wheel route is a prime example and very difficult to cover. I also like slipping the back through the line of scrimmage and finding a seam over the middle. Give these guys some space and they will make things happen.

Identify man coverage, clear the LB with the TE, hit the RB delay over the middle. :grin: