Don Criqui

NDBadaBing

I respect everything the man's done over his career, but having listened the last two weeks to parts of his radio telecast it's beyond obvious he is no longer up to the task.

It's painful listening him, to be honest. And also frustrating.

Notre Dame can do better.

I guess I haven't listened for awhile. What is going on with him?

I guess I haven't listened for awhile. What is going on with him?

I don't know exactly what they're talking about, but when I've had to listen to games ont he radio, I find it almost impossible to tell what the down and distance is, or how many yards were gained on a given play -- because they never mesh. Too often he'll announce the team gained 8 yards, then it will be 2nd and 5. Well, which is it?

That's a huge problem for a radio announcer, because we obviously can't see it on the field, and there's no graphic telling us it's 2nd and 2.

His voice is iconic, but it's really hard to listen to.

I don't know exactly what they're talking about, but when I've had to listen to games ont he radio, I find it almost impossible to tell what the down and distance is, or how many yards were gained on a given play -- because they never mesh. Too often he'll announce the team gained 8 yards, then it will be 2nd and 5. Well, which is it?

That's a huge problem for a radio announcer, because we obviously can't see it on the field, and there's no graphic telling us it's 2nd and 2.

This. Absolutely this.

Might not know down and distance but you will know that they are wearing blue and going left to right...

Don is an ND alum, lives here in Jersey and has had a distinguished broadcasting career and was a longtime broadcaster of NFL games on TV.

He has been doing the ND games for awhile now and most probably got the gig cause he was an alum. All that being said, he has to be near 75. Gotta give him props for his vocal chords lasting this long and keeping his career going but, I agree that Tony Roberts has no peers when it comes to radio broadcasting of ND football games.

P.S. If you have a copy of this year's ND football media guide, there is a picture of Don in there that I swear could pass for his photo from the ND yearbook the year he graduated -- not a gray hair to be found!