Do We Pitch A Shutout This Week????

How nice would that look on the statistical sheet. I have a feeling BVG is pushing for the shut out this week. Here's why I think we get it.

First, it is extremely hard to get a shut out against anyone but we have a great shot this week.

The opponent is struggling offensively. They seem to have no vertical passing game. They are struggling to run the ball. They have two extremely fast running backs, but they just don't seem to be able to block well enough. Against us I sure don't see that problem going away.

They aren't stopping the run. This is the week our running game kicks in and we dominate the clock.

So much depth and so much youth on our defense will ensure BVG keeps their attention. We had something like 36 mental mistakes on defense last week and they want to improve that number drastically. So look for improvement and for us to stay fresh with all the substitutions. Competition is making us elite.

Defense is becoming every bit as fun to watch as the offense. Let our goal be a shut out this week. Sic Em Irish!!!

just to extenuate how bad UM is, I hope Purdue puts some pts on the board.

so hard to pitch a shut out, the odds are against it but I love the spirit of our D. BVG looks like the perfect hire at this point...like what Tenuta's defenses should've looked like (roster is much better, I know)

just to extenuate how bad UM is, I hope Purdue puts some pts on the board.

so hard to pitch a shut out, the odds are against it but I love the spirit of our D. BVG looks like the perfect hire at this point...like what Tenuta's defenses should've looked like (roster is much better, I know)

Haha, I was reading the Hammer and Rails preview of the game and that's the exact sentiment of purdue fans

http://www.hammerandrails.com/2014/9/8/6121107/purdue-vs-notre-dame-time-tv-odds-weather-streaming-etc

We just need to score more than 0 points

And we'll be a better team than Michigan

Author Emeritus at Hammer & Rails

Atmospheric Scientist, 2013 Purdue grad, U of Michigan Grad student.

However, assuming the offense looks good again, you are looking at a game where the second/third team D plays the 4th quarter.

All it takes it one mistake and you give up a TD or FG.

Agree with this. Our D goes after it pretty hard, and just one blown assignment means six points for the bad guys. I'm cool with that since the final score will still be a lot to a little.

Being the pessimist, we SHOULD blow out Purdue by 4+ TDs, but Purdue ALWAYS plays ND close (except 2011) no matter what talent disparity there appears to be on paper

And Michigan ALWAYS finds a way to beat us. And we ALWAYS find a way to play shoddy in the opener. Like I said in another thread, after beating Michigan 31-0, I think it's safe to through out our predispositions about this program.

Purdue is really BAAAAAD- we are really GOOOOD---forget about "they always play us close"--it won't be close, it won't be competitive with our offense so explosive.---remember the reason they seem to play us so close is because we used to have games where the offense was "pulling teeth" to get points, ---THOSE DAYS ARE OVER---44-10

Likely it won't be a shut out--shut outs require intensity all game and that's difficult to muster against tis type of opponent.

aloha's

And Michigan ALWAYS finds a way to beat us. And we ALWAYS find a way to play shoddy in the opener. Like I said in another thread, after beating Michigan 31-0, I think it's safe to through out our predispositions about this program.

Purdue is really BAAAAAD- we are really GOOOOD---forget about "they always play us close"--it won't be close, it won't be competitive with our offense so explosive.---remember the reason they seem to play us so close is because we used to have games where the offense was "pulling teeth" to get points, ---THOSE DAYS ARE OVER---44-10

Likely it won't be a shut out--shut outs require intensity all game and that's difficult to muster against tis type of opponent.

aloha's

good points...teams can't just make Tommy beat them with his arm with zero escapability

BTW, Jeremy Fowler and Jerry Hinnen on CBS Sports both picked Purdue to win this weekend....pshhh

edit: nvm, this is against the spread...but they predicted ND to win straight up

This is joke. Although I think Purdue might score on us a couple times, I don't believe there is any way they will have the manpower to outscore us. We should win easily.

This is joke. Although I think Purdue might score on us a couple times, I don't believe there is any way they will have the manpower to outscore us. We should win easily.

they didnt pick ourdue to win. theynpicked them to cover then 29 point spread.

i think i have Nd this week to cover though.

we might need some quick scores or second team TDs though. kelly is one to burn the clock as fast as he can once he has a big lead

Purdue is really bad against stopping the run. They couldn't stop Central Michigan from running it down their throats. I watched their post game interviews and it was like being in a morgue. This team could quit. Not looking for it against Notre Dame on national tv in the Shamrock series in Indianapolis, but I could see Malik coming in and ripping their defense.

I am not predicting the goose egg. But I would not be shocked if we get it. I promise you those on the defensive side want it.

It is SOO hard to pitch a shutout, even in really lopsided match-ups. What was the A&M / Lamar score - 73-3? With decent field position, it really only takes a few good plays to get into FG range. Even against M, they shanked one FG and had another blocked which is very unusual. Plus, it's likely when we're up big, a lot of subs get meaningful action this weekend.

I like the 44-10 score. I'd probably more go with 48-13.

How nice would that look on the statistical sheet. I have a feeling BVG is pushing for the shut out this week. Here's why I think we get it.

First, it is extremely hard to get a shut out against anyone but we have a great shot this week.

The opponent is struggling offensively. They seem to have no vertical passing game. They are struggling to run the ball. They have two extremely fast running backs, but they just don't seem to be able to block well enough. Against us I sure don't see that problem going away.

They aren't stopping the run. This is the week our running game kicks in and we dominate the clock.

So much depth and so much youth on our defense will ensure BVG keeps their attention. We had something like 36 mental mistakes on defense last week and they want to improve that number drastically. So look for improvement and for us to stay fresh with all the substitutions. Competition is making us elite.

Defense is becoming every bit as fun to watch as the offense. Let our goal be a shut out this week. Sic Em Irish!!!

NOPE thanks to you and this silly *** post.....

I have a feeling we'll see more of this:

http://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/assets/4986896/bvgfistpump.gif

We watched the game again tonight over at OKCIrish's house and you could tell Van Gorder wanted that shut out. He smells another one this Saturday. I think our defense will be up because we play so many young guys and they have tasted success. Plenty of big plays on the way by our defense.

This game has been a pain in the arse over the years...never easy.

I think one or two games over the last 20 years has been an Irish blowout. The rest have been sloppy, fight and claw affairs.

So I'm expecting another close game.

Plus I can expect the DD faithful to be mad at BVG just one week after putting him up for sainthood.

Go Irish!

This game has been a pain in the arse over the years...never easy.

I think one or two games over the last 20 years has been an Irish blowout. The rest have been sloppy, fight and claw affairs.

So I'm expecting another close game.

Plus I can expect the DD faithful to be mad at BVG just one week after putting him up for sainthood.

Go Irish!

Throw out the history books. You saw Saturday night what our team is capable of when Kelly has all the pieces. Couple that with Purdue's total ineffectiveness and you have a blow out. Plain and simple. Shutout is more than conceivable.