Michigan game concerns me

If I may repeat--APP STATE was a 4 win team that LOST TO FURMAN by 20 points last year and NOT a D1 team or even a noteworthy team---:grin:

Rice was the conference USA champ a 10 win team and a Bowl team---

In any event our QB our Run game and our defense will be too good for Michigan--

aloha's

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I may repeat--APP STATE was a 4 win team that LOST TO FURMAN by 20 points last year and NOT a D1 team or even a noteworthy team---:grin:

Rice was the conference USA champ a 10 win team and a Bowl team---

In any event our QB our Run game and our defense will be too good for Michigan--

aloha's

App State was FBS last year and played in the sun belt. Or do you mean they play like they're not FBS?

I know this PT, but no they are not in the same league, they are in the Sun Belt Conference, even in D1, they are far beneath "us and Michigan." They are still a D2 quality team. Just because I change my name, does not mean I am a different person.

I didn't know if you knew or not, dude.

I was stating the facts. I wasn't commenting on the quality of their football team. They are a D1 football team.

App State was FBS last year and played in the sun belt. Or do you mean they play like they're not FBS?

App State was not in FBS last year, 2014 is their first year in in the Sun Belt and FBS. Last year, in the FCS, they went 4-8 and lost to the likes of football powers Citadel, Montana, Furman, Samford. Charleston Southern, NC A&M, Chattanooga, and their lone FBS opponent Georgia (45-6).

They also replaced 5 of 11 starters from the 2013 defense, but only 3 of 11 starters on offense.

This is a bad Appalachian State team that would get rolled by 20+ by Rice.

http://mgovideo.com/michigan-vs-appalachian-state-offense-every-snap/

http://mgovideo.com/michigan-vs-appalachian-state-defense-every-snap/

I haven't had time to watch the defense (kinda know what to expect there ... a whole playing better than the sum of its parts). But, i wasn't blown away by their offense.

Their one 'beast' is funchess who's legitimately awesome but also still quite a bit raw. His first play is a terrible block/hold that is a lesson in flawed fundamentals.

gardner, while improved, also has a ways to go in the fundamentals department. Around the 2:30 mark, he throws a TD (nussmeier used a mirror of that same play to rub KV and score a TD against us late in the NC game, fwiw) and the announcers rave about his improved mechanics. If you watch the play A) his drop back and step up were hitchy, sloppy and giving him the wrong platform B) he stared down funchess (though, he was wide open) C) he throws while jumping with his shoulders off the target and he's using a terrible arm slot. because he's such an amazing athlete, he's able to surprisingly make a good throw out of it but it's a sign that he's still got a ways to go.

RBs - Green becomes pretty pedestrian if the first hole is not there, though he's absolutely in better shape and a formidable athlete. Smith does a better job of making a read when receiving the ball and can make something if the first read is not there. However, he has this weird upright running style that seems to make him far easier to bring down on the first hit. Kinda hard to tell since Appy State really wasn't a beefy team.

Oline = as advertised. They can generate some actual push this year but they continue to have issues with mental lapses and breakdowns and don't play as a cohesive unit. While gardner is a good bet to make us pay for some of our blitzes, we're a good bet to blow them up a few times.

I'm with hawaii that we just need to come out with as much aggression as possible .... on both sides of the ball. this is especially true of the defense where we need to blitz through the RB on our way to QB. Anything we can do to get gardner out of his comfort zone will pay off in the long run. As for funchess, i say bracket him and put shumate over the top just so we make it harder for UM to do what they will obviously want to do .... take advantage of blown coverages by shumate.

Cookding, if you hadn't used names above, I'd have thought you were describing OUR offense:

- talented QB with questionable fundamentals (throws off back foot and sometimes while jumping, doesn't tuck the ball, stared down his share of WR on Saturday, etc.)

- WR (plural for us) = strong and fast but raw

- Oline is highly rated but has youthful mental lapses

I AM glad surmise from you all that there seems to be a talent dropoff after Funchess. Hopefully we can focus on and even double him and they won't have burning options once he's checked down.

Cookding, if you hadn't used names above, I'd have thought you were describing OUR offense:

- talented QB with questionable fundamentals (throws off back foot and sometimes while jumping, doesn't tuck the ball, stared down his share of WR on Saturday, etc.)

- WR (plural for us) = strong and fast but raw

- Oline is highly rated but has youthful mental lapses

I AM glad surmise from you all that there seems to be a talent dropoff after Funchess. Hopefully we can focus on and even double him and they won't have burning options once he's checked down.

Actually, i'd give us a different review.

QB = Much improved, showing solid command of the pocket, ability to make pre-snap and in-play reads and adjust accordingly to find the right throw and really solid fundamentals. This was best exemplified on the TD to prosise, he moved away from the pressure, identified the right throw, maximized his time with the ball to allow the WR to get the max amount of room, STEPPED INTO HIS THROW w/ pressure in his face and threw the WR open (even though he was already open).

RB = Three solid RB's that all displayed good pass pro and strong ability reading blocking and getting the most of what's available.

WR = no frontline 'beast' talent but make up for it with incredible depth. it's now far more difficult for D's to predict what's coming based on WR personnel (think brown two years ago and D. Smith). Loooooots of speed. Koyack is not going to make us forget Eifert but he is not a walking mental lapse anymore and allows us to continue to trot out throw/pass sets that Kelly's offense is so dependent on.

Oline .... my thoughts on this won't do justice so I will compare. We have so much more talent in our top 10 and it shows on how much more stable we are. When you see our line stand up for pass pro, we keep that nice U shape and provide a great pocket to step into. when you see their's, it really gets missshapen almost immediately. I think some of that is nussmeier's design to let dlineman get up field but it could pose some problems for a blitzing scheme like our's as it will leave holes for LB's/SF's.

That being said, we are definitely missing martin/watt on the left side. I'm hopeful golson's mobility compensates for that through the first half of the season. by the back half, we should have more cohesion.

That being said, we are definitely missing martin/watt on the left side. I'm hopeful golson's mobility compensates for that through the first half of the season. by the back half, we should have more cohesion.

Maybe, but Stanley and Hanratty did a pretty good job, I remember Stanley taking one bad step and letting his player stop the run. Other than that, they were clean the entire game. Elmer was the one having a little trouble. Lombard basically nullified their best defender that will be an All-American and probably an early draft pick. The only time we heard Nick Martin's name was the two snap infractions, which Kelly blamed on the QB in his press conference. I think the Oline did well, plenty of holes and good push in the run game. If Elmer can clean up his game a little bit, they should be fine. I think Stanley just had one of those "doh" moments.

Obviously, I wouldn't expect them to say much different, but the way they talk about the rivalry and the way we talk about it is concerning.

Here's what Frank Clark has to say, their starting defensive end, ""That's one of the big rivals. You got Notre Dame-Michigan. You got (Michigan) State-Michigan. You got Ohio (State) vs. Michigan. For a team to opt out of that contract, and to opt out of playing another team that is a great rival and is one of those great games, it's almost like a slap in the face," he said. "We're going to do what we've got to do to get the job done."

Compared to what Golson had to say, to what BK said, to what Jenkins said to what Hoke said and the PA announcers playing the chicken dance after the game last year. They seem to take this rivalry serious where it seems we are saying it's another game. I want that anger and ugliness for this game. We need to come out and bust them in the f'in teeth! If we don't, then we are nothing more than what they have claimed, "chickens."

Obviously, I wouldn't expect them to say much different, but the way they talk about the rivalry and the way we talk about it is concerning.

Here's what Frank Clark has to say, their starting defensive end, ""That's one of the big rivals. You got Notre Dame-Michigan. You got (Michigan) State-Michigan. You got Ohio (State) vs. Michigan. For a team to opt out of that contract, and to opt out of playing another team that is a great rival and is one of those great games, it's almost like a slap in the face," he said. "We're going to do what we've got to do to get the job done."

Compared to what Golson had to say, to what BK said, to what Jenkins said to what Hoke said and the PA announcers playing the chicken dance after the game last year. They seem to take this rivalry serious where it seems we are saying it's another game. I want that anger and ugliness for this game. We need to come out and bust them in the f'in teeth! If we don't, then we are nothing more than what they have claimed, "chickens."

meh, let them act like that

they sound like childhood bullies who are fake tough

Yeah, i hear what you're saying but i'm not so concerned. Hoke is using a contract to prepare his team to play. I'd much rather have the team do what it's been trained to do when it prepares for games. No reason to be concerned, the boys will want this win badly. They don't need to woof about it.

Also, funny to hear frank clark talk about integrity like he didn't get popped for home invasion.

This is a rival game. Records and standings don't mean a thing. It will come down to who waits it more. As in all big games this game will be decided by turnovers, penalties and special teams.

I give the edge to the Irish but anything can happen when these 2 teams get together.

Repeat after me, they are NOT our rivals. They are merely an enemy. As I have said before, rivals have respect for one another - we may go into the U$C game with lots of vitriol, but we do have respect for them and they us over our long history. scUM on the other hand have shown just the opposite in their historical efforts to torpedo Notre Dame football, soliciting boycots, canceling a game AFTER the ND bus pulled into Ann Arbor . . . that is not a rivalry - that's a petulant child we must periodically smack about the head and face to show them who are the REAL keepers of NCAA football tradition and history . . .

Repeat after me, they are NOT our rivals. They are merely an enemy. As I have said before, rivals have respect for one another - we may go into the U$C game with lots of vitriol, but we do have respect for them and they us over our long history. scUM on the other hand have shown just the opposite in their historical efforts to torpedo Notre Dame football, soliciting boycots, canceling a game AFTER the ND bus pulled into Ann Arbor . . . that is not a rivalry - that's a petulant child we must periodically smack about the head and face to show them who are the REAL keepers of NCAA football tradition and history . . .

^^^This guy gets it.....ND has one rival, its USC

I think it's safe to say we all consider Michigan State a rivalry, a friendly one at that due to our history with them from Rockne thru Ara, much more so than the wolverines.

Nope, its a big game, no doubt, but not a rival.....ND will always have 2 games on the schedule - Navy, for obvious reasons, and USC, because they are our rival....any other teams, if the need arises, would be dropped

Nope, its a big game, no doubt, but not a rival.....ND will always have 2 games on the schedule - Navy, for obvious reasons, and USC, because they are our rival....any other teams, if the need arises, would be dropped

Well if Im wrong then to hell with us Toledo guys sticking together!!! LOL!!! I consider MSU more of a rivalry than UM. ND helped MSU by scheduling games during the early days when UM wanted to keep MSU down and out of what is now the B1G.

Yup, I HATE Michigan, but I feel USC is a true Rival

Purdue is your annoying little brother

MSU is your dumbass cousin

BC is your friend that tries to one-up you on everything

Stanford is that punk kid on the block that just went through his growth spurt

but I HATE....I HATE Michigan...Michigan has no personifying characteristic...just HATE

Yup, I HATE Michigan, but I feel USC is a true Rival

Purdue is your annoying little brother

MSU is your dumbass cousin

BC is your friend that tries to one-up you on everything

Stanford is that punk kid on the block that just went through his growth spurt

but I HATE....I HATE Michigan...Michigan has no personifying characteristic...just HATE

I am 1000% with you on that. I totally DESPISE them. They are the sheet that is stuck to the gum that is stuck to the bottom of my shoe.