Was Schmidt good or bad

edcubby

I just watched the replay. Schmidt was completely fine. He played better than I thought. Like most people said he had some thumps early for nice, solid tackles. He's just a little small. Regardless of weight, he looks smaller...but he's always buzzing around...snaking his way through bodies and blocks to get to the ball. When it breaks outside that's where he doesn't track to the man. He goes there but just doesn't make the tackle. Some LB's are constantly sideline to sideline making stops and diverting plays from going on for another 5, 10 yards...but they're usually freak athletes because that's difficult to do. All in all he was good though. I really think my subconscious is telling me that since Schmidt's a walk on, and since he's kind of short for a football player, and he's not known for his speed that he's the weak-link. But he played well against a team everyone should play well against. See, I just backhanded that compliment. I can't stop doing that or being weird when talking about Schmidt. Jaylon Smith can miss a play, and after watching the replay he actually did miss 2 or 3 plays, and they led to a couple 1st downs that shouldn't have happened...and I'm perfectly fine with it because its Jaylon, and I'm so thankful that we have that kid. But if Schmidt misses a tackle or even does nothing wrong at all, I might blame him without really being fair. Watching the replay is easier because during the game I might look away at times or just become fixated on the QB. When I'm relaxed I can really watch the game. But ND just makes me different for a few hours. I love watching them win. Watching the replay knowing that we won, and being completely at ease allowed me to really watch Schmidt and several others who I was interested in watching. And Schmidt played just fine. And yet, still I'm nervous about Michigan and having them run with Green straight up the gut, directly at Joey 20 times throughout the game. I guess next week will be a legit measuring stick for everyone. I really think we're better than Michigan. I just hope our D-line doesn't get pushed around because they got no push against a Rice O-line. Mayock said he was impressed with our line, and by no means were they bad. They just didn't have any moments where they broke through, so perhaps I shouldn't say they got no push. They just didn't get much penetration. But against Gardner it might actually be better that no one breaks through and the line is just a wall of bodies. Then we know he has to go left or right if he decides to scramble. He can't go through. When people snake through that's when that running lane opens up for the Gardner's of the world. Penetration; Romeo had one...he swooped by the LT and made a mess for Rice that led to a sack, and then Sheldon Day constantly ate up double teams and STILL pierced through two massive bodies...consistently. But that was that. Jarron Jones didn't get much push. He was contained the entire game. Rabasa got swallowed up the few plays he was in. Always against a tackle in 3 man fronts, and he was always contained by 1 man. Utupo even worse. Blankenship isn't strong enough yet. Cage just took on two blockers but that was that...he was never a threat...he just had two guys wasting their time on him which is fine. Against a better O-line we'll really see what the LB's can do when they have to make tough tackles. Next week we'll know how good Schmidt is I think.

I agree alot with this... but please. Michigan's OL is the weakest part of their team. Gardner got sacked twice, I think, and a few negative running plays against App St. Now, Michigan's front 7 has some really nice pieces. It will be a big test foe our OL.

They got very little against us up the middle. To me, that says we were stout at the two tackle positions and our inside backers tackled well.

I've watched the tape twice. I think he played a very solid game. He probably played the best on the D side of the ball. Of course, in a 4-3 your middle backer is going to be in the middle of things a lot. He did miss a couple of tackles and took a couple of bad angles, but, for a first game of the year, he performed admirably.

Way, way, way more worried about the safety position.

They got very little against us up the middle. To me, that says we were stout at the two tackle positions and our inside backers tackled well.

I've watched the tape twice. I think he played a very solid game. He probably played the best on the D side of the ball. Of course, in a 4-3 your middle backer is going to be in the middle of things a lot. He did miss a couple of tackles and took a couple of bad angles, but, for a first game of the year, he performed admirably.

Way, way, way more worried about the safety position.

I agree. Safety is a much bigger issue. Don't worry about Schmidt.

I just watched the game again and was really surprised how often Jaylon was out of position and Schmidt had to move him. This was mainly when Jaylon was playing the middle.

Both Smith and Schmidt missed tackles and Schmidt was run over a couple of times. Shumate looked good while playing close to the LOS.

JMO, but as a ream, they did not wrap up the ball carrier letting him extra yardage.

I just watched the game again and was really surprised how often Jaylon was out of position and Schmidt had to move him. This was mainly when Jaylon was playing the middle.

Both Smith and Schmidt missed tackles and Schmidt was run over a couple of times. Shumate looked good while playing close to the LOS.

JMO, but as a ream, they did not wrap up the ball carrier letting him extra yardage.

As much as everyone, including me, loves Jaylon...he is NOT AN INSIDE LB!

Freak athlete...he can disrupt off the edge and play in space. He will get lost inside.

If I know this...the staff does too.

There isn't a MLB in the country the is going to cover WR - Funchess......kind of a bad example.

There is no question that Schmidt is a liability on anything across the field though...

I thought Funchess was a tight end. I didn't see the game. I wonder if he will still be split out after their coaches study the tape from last week.

Edited by VCDomer