Was Schmidt good or bad

I agree with Cory....He is what he is.

He filled the gap on a couple of plays and made a couple of good stops. He looked great as he finished some hits high when someone else already had the runner low.

However, he also got run over, pushed back, and whiffed on several tackles.

IMO, he should not be manning the middle of the defense at ND. He simply is not physically imposing enough and will be exposed against stronger teams/backs.

Has football speed and plays well in space. Always around the ball. He's tough and smart.

Not the biggest but he does well with what has.

Leading tackler - wait who is that Farley dude at #3.

1 Joe Schmidt 8.00

2 Sheldon Day 6.00

3 Matthias Farley 5.00

4 Jaylon Smith 3.00

5 Elijah Shumate 3.00

6 Jarron Jones 3.00

7 Drue Tranquill 3.00

8 Max Redfield 3.00

9 James Onwualu 3.00

Edited by Domer Dude

Schmidt did exactly what can be expected of him the whole year. Average to above average performance.

More importantly I hope the rumors are correct because Ishaq and Russell would provide a huge boost of talent and experience to this defense. Kelly has sounded worried about the D since spring ball and I can see why.

He's got good instincts which helps him to be quick inside to react against the run before being blocked. The 4-3 protects him from having a big guard blocking him unimpeded. Where he'll struggle is in space and pursuit, where his lack of foot speed limits him.

Looked to me like he always knows what to do, he just doesn't have the total package of skills to be able to do it all the time.

So I guess that doesn't mean good or bad, he is what he is.

Either way it's refreshing to see him as opposed to those bozos Fox and Calabrese.

He's got good instincts which helps him to be quick inside to react against the run before being blocked. The 4-3 protects him from having a big guard blocking him unimpeded. Where he'll struggle is in space and pursuit, where his lack of foot speed limits him.

That's what I think too. He seemed to be in the right spot all day, but missed a few tackles where he needed more athleticism

Did anyone else notice that rice got all of their offense up the middle and on crossing routes where Schmidt was targeted...

Michigan will pound away at him and force the safeties to keep their eyes in the middle of the field, setting up play action and bootleg...

I noticed Schmidt early in the game, and not as much as the game went on. I think he got off to a very good start (especially against the run). He will always be in the right place it seems, but his athleticism will be tested against better teams. Overall, I am pleased with his performance.

Schmidt happens.

Good one!:-)

This young man always wanted to play for ND and made his way form walk on to starter. Does he have all the physical abilities for a prototype ML? No.

But he plays with all his heart and has the smarts to be in the right spot at the right time. As an alum, I salute him on living his dream. He is a true Domer in every sense of the word, and I as proud as I can be that he chose to come to Notre Dame.

Did anyone else notice that rice got all of their offense up the middle and on crossing routes where Schmidt was targeted...

I don't think the big gain Rice got on the crossing route in the 1st quarter was Schmidt's fault. I think Trumbetti followed the tight end too much inside and left his zone, leaving a huge gap on his side of the field as the receiver caught the pass and entered that side of the field. I think it is pretty unlikely that they would ask Schmidt or Trumbetti to be in man coverage and expect both of them to be able to cover across the field. Farley also overreacted too far inside, which made the gain even worse.

EDIT: The 15 yard gain in the second quarter was a receiver crossing pattern into his zone. Schmidt got caught looking to cover the seam to his left as the receiver ran in front of him him to his right side. He doesn't have the make up speed to be caught in this situation. The play was negated by an illegal formation. I don't know if this influenced Schmidt's decision on where to focus his first reaction or not.

What they do ask of Schmidt, which is going to be a problem imo, is drop into zone areas across the field when they blitz to one side. He's expected to go from near the line of scrimmage on the blitz side and then run 10-15 yards deep on the other side of the field. Somebody is going to recognize this and burn us.

Edited by Frankus
Watching the game again.

I thought he was fine. His physical traits will always limit him at the point of attack, and would not be surprised to see teams run right at him. In terms of playing in space, whether tracking a ball carrier at an angle or in coverage, I think he is above average relative to non-Teo middle linebackers we have seen.

This young man always wanted to play for ND and made his way form walk on to starter. Does he have all the physical abilities for a prototype ML? No.

But he plays with all his heart and has the smarts to be in the right spot at the right time. As an alum, I salute him on living his dream. He is a true Domer in every sense of the word, and I as proud as I can be that he chose to come to Notre Dame.

Exactly Jersey!!!

It's actually why I asked the question...I love his story and hope he stays solid.

I agree that we should all be proud of him for what he accomplished and the abilities he brings to the team. I will continue to root hard for him to succeed but as others have said, he is lacking the physicality to be a complete MLB at this level.

This is both good and bad when I say he's similar for the defense as to what Rees was for the offense last year.

Has football speed and plays well in space. Always around the ball. He's tough and smart.

1 Joe Schmidt 8.00

2 Sheldon Day 6.00

3 Matthias Farley 5.00

4 Jaylon Smith 3.00

5 Elijah Shumate 3.00

6 Jarron Jones 3.00

7 Drue Tranquill 3.00

8 Max Redfield 3.00

9 James Onwualu 3.00

I've been a big supporter of Farley and admit he played poorly last year. But right now I think he's out of position the same with Shumate. They should be where Onwualu and Turner are. Both Farley and Shumate like to be by the line and hit. Out in space they seem to be a little more Susespitable.

1 Joe Schmidt 8.00

2 Sheldon Day 6.00

3 Matthias Farley 5.00

4 Jaylon Smith 3.00

5 Elijah Shumate 3.00

6 Jarron Jones 3.00

7 Drue Tranquill 3.00

8 Max Redfield 3.00

9 James Onwualu 3.00

Misleading.......

Michigan will pound away at him and force the safeties to keep their eyes in the middle of the field, setting up play action and bootleg...

Funchess will feast

Joe played well for the first 20-25minutes--toward the end of the first half he was getting weaker or tired --several tackles were bounced off of near the end of the 1st half and a couple of whiffs in the second.

Kelly did make a point to say he did well calling defensive signals---so there is that---

He also had some STRONG tackles early

As far as the crossing routes being successful, some of that is BVGs scheme leaving that area as a target of opportunity in his aggressive 4-3---I don't think they were attacking Joe because they felt he was slow or some such----

I think no matter who is there the shallow crossing routes will be an offensive focus of all our opposition----that's going to be an ENDEMIC soft spot even if TEO was there.

Did MORGAN play at all?

aloha's

I just watched the replay. Schmidt was completely fine. He played better than I thought. Like most people said he had some thumps early for nice, solid tackles. He's just a little small. Regardless of weight, he looks smaller...but he's always buzzing around...snaking his way through bodies and blocks to get to the ball. When it breaks outside that's where he doesn't track to the man. He goes there but just doesn't make the tackle. Some LB's are constantly sideline to sideline making stops and diverting plays from going on for another 5, 10 yards...but they're usually freak athletes because that's difficult to do. All in all he was good though. I really think my subconscious is telling me that since Schmidt's a walk on, and since he's kind of short for a football player, and he's not known for his speed that he's the weak-link. But he played well against a team everyone should play well against. See, I just backhanded that compliment. I can't stop doing that or being weird when talking about Schmidt. Jaylon Smith can miss a play, and after watching the replay he actually did miss 2 or 3 plays, and they led to a couple 1st downs that shouldn't have happened...and I'm perfectly fine with it because its Jaylon, and I'm so thankful that we have that kid. But if Schmidt misses a tackle or even does nothing wrong at all, I might blame him without really being fair. Watching the replay is easier because during the game I might look away at times or just become fixated on the QB. When I'm relaxed I can really watch the game. But ND just makes me different for a few hours. I love watching them win. Watching the replay knowing that we won, and being completely at ease allowed me to really watch Schmidt and several others who I was interested in watching. And Schmidt played just fine. And yet, still I'm nervous about Michigan and having them run with Green straight up the gut, directly at Joey 20 times throughout the game. I guess next week will be a legit measuring stick for everyone. I really think we're better than Michigan. I just hope our D-line doesn't get pushed around because they got no push against a Rice O-line. Mayock said he was impressed with our line, and by no means were they bad. They just didn't have any moments where they broke through, so perhaps I shouldn't say they got no push. They just didn't get much penetration. But against Gardner it might actually be better that no one breaks through and the line is just a wall of bodies. Then we know he has to go left or right if he decides to scramble. He can't go through. When people snake through that's when that running lane opens up for the Gardner's of the world. Penetration; Romeo had one...he swooped by the LT and made a mess for Rice that led to a sack, and then Sheldon Day constantly ate up double teams and STILL pierced through two massive bodies...consistently. But that was that. Jarron Jones didn't get much push. He was contained the entire game. Rabasa got swallowed up the few plays he was in. Always against a tackle in 3 man fronts, and he was always contained by 1 man. Utupo even worse. Blankenship isn't strong enough yet. Cage just took on two blockers but that was that...he was never a threat...he just had two guys wasting their time on him which is fine. Against a better O-line we'll really see what the LB's can do when they have to make tough tackles. Next week we'll know how good Schmidt is I think.

Edited by IrishShamrock16
Sent by accident