It generally takes me two times to watch a game to notice what I saw on defense but did we get any sacks or any meaningful pressure on their QB today?

I know they got some on ours.

About 2 or 3 times. Was pretty poor overall and the VanGorder thing of dropping Dlinemen in coverage scares the hell outta me.

This is a HUGE area of concern....They really struggled up front to get pressure and struggled a little to contain.

Also, as we knew, middle backer is a concern. Joe looks good when someone is tacking low and he can come up high and finish but if he's on his own, he missed a lot of tackles and got plowed on his back quite a few times. This D, as expected, really has a lot to work on. HOPEFULLY KR is back to tighten coverage up, and Collinsworth gets healthy quickly to help communicate.

It's pretty standard when you zone blitz.

I know it is but when you have inexperienced guys like Trumbetti doing the dropping, I get nervous. Trumbetti was doing just such a thing when Rice ran that cross that got 30 yards in the 1st quarter. If you do that, the rush HAS to get there before the QB and receiver can exploit the DLineman.

I know it is but when you have inexperienced guys like Trumbetti doing the dropping, I get nervous. Trumbetti was doing just such a thing when Rice ran that cross that got 30 yards in the 1st quarter. If you do that, the rush HAS to get there before the QB and receiver can exploit the DLineman.

I agree, we had hard time covering with our DB's on a couple plays so why would he expect our freshman defensive end to be any better.

2 sacks, one by Jones/Farley and another by Okwara.

I'm not going to be too hard on the pass rush even though it was kind of spotty yesterday. Missing a couple of key players, new scheme, some youth so there will be growing pains. If strides aren't being made by the second half of the season, maybe then I'll worry a bit but this wasn't going to be anything approaching an elite defense this year to begin with.

I'm more concerned with the busted coverage by Shumate. I'm hoping Ishaq comes back and helps with the pressure. It's the first game guys and we won big. We have a litany of things to work on on both sides of the ball. I'm worried Elmer may be a bit too slow for a tackle spot.

Call a bit concerned. When you are a blitzing team and the only pressure we got was two slow sacks, then we have problem. I'm ok with the zone blitzes. They mess up and learn. Plus, it wasn't Michigan when it happened. But if we play D like that against Michigan, I don't think Gardner will miss a pass. Hopefully, we kept it vanilla on D.

Call a bit concerned. When you are a blitzing team and the only pressure we got was two slow sacks, then we have problem. I'm ok with the zone blitzes. They mess up and learn. Plus, it wasn't Michigan when it happened. But if we play D like that against Michigan, I don't think Gardner will miss a pass. Hopefully, we kept it vanilla on D.

yes he will. We will have a couple INTs against him

Kelly just said in his presser they didn't want pressure on the QB. Wanted him to stay in pocket and throw.

I wonder how the negative nancies will take that? They will probably just dismiss it and continue to talk about how bad the pass rush was...

I wonder how the negative nancies will take that? They will probably just dismiss it and continue to talk about how bad the pass rush was...

Except that you can keep a QB in the pocket and pressure him. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

Except that you can keep a QB in the pocket and pressure him. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

Correct and the coaches know that however sometimes their pressure forced him out of the pocket and (I'm assuming) some of the other players didn't hold up to their assignment to carry out said plan to keep him in the pocket with containment or whatever technique they are coaching.

However, how many times does coach Kelly come out and say he tried to do something to one of our opponents that grossly contradict what we saw with our own eyes the day before...?

I'm glad we didn't get embarrassed yesterday and played pretty well overall.

As I said earlier at times It looks like we purposefully flushed him out of the pocket, so either it was a boneheaded game plan or lack of execution...

This is a HUGE area of concern....They really struggled up front to get pressure and struggled a little to contain.

Also, as we knew, middle backer is a concern. Joe looks good when someone is tacking low and he can come up high and finish but if he's on his own, he missed a lot of tackles and got plowed on his back quite a few times. This D, as expected, really has a lot to work on. HOPEFULLY KR is back to tighten coverage up, and Collinsworth gets healthy quickly to help communicate.

BK disagrees with you:

Schmidt led the Irish with eight tackles, playing physical and looking active in both the run and pass game. Kelly said Schmidt graded out as the team’s best performer, though thought this was only the beginning for him. “He was pretty good yesterday. He probably was our best player defensively,” Kelly said. “He’s got some things that he’s got to get better at. But I thought as a true first‑time starter, he was the best player for us.”

Kelly just said in his presser they didn't want pressure on the QB. Wanted him to stay in pocket and throw.

This is exactly what we need to do to Gardner and I think the Rice game is similar to the plan we'll have with him. Gardners much more dangerous when he's outside the pocket with a run/pass option. If we key in on stopping the run and containing Gardner we will win. Even if he has all day to throw, I don't think he can consistently make good passes and end scoring drives with 7. If we blitz it has to be inside with our ends having him contained so he can't roll out. There's enough tape on him now that Van Gorder should have a good game plan.

so this is the route they will take... I see.

That's the route they took against Rice. I'd like to see a few more games before i determine if this is the route they WILL take. Maybe you've seen enough to already reach a conclusion but i havent.

It's amazing to me how absolute people can be about the team and players after watching a single game. The data points are important but let's not forget it was game 1. We will know a lot more after Michigan.

That's the route they took against Rice. I'd like to see a few more games before i determine if this is the route they WILL take. Maybe you've seen enough to already reach a conclusion but i havent.

It's amazing to me how absolute people can be about the team and players after watching a single game. The data points are important but let's not forget it was game 1. We will know a lot more after Michigan.

I didn't read this entire thread but I read this last post and I agree. What you saw Saturday was a very raw and changing product. Teams improve the most from game one to game two. I can't wait to see how we get better. It's an absolute guarantee.

We develop a list or litany of things to work on in the first game and we start solving problems. Some may not be solved completely, but they will all be addressed. Nice to have that game under our belts before we play Michigan. More uncertainties in the first game.