Season Prediction Thread

Welp, about 1 week out. We know most of the key starters and hopefully there won't be anymore suspensions to worry about.

That means it is time for the annual season prediction thread, where those who are wrong never need look again and those who are right have a brief example of their brilliance for all eternity.

I see a young team, loaded with talent. The offense has everything you could want to be successful. The defense has the speed and athleticism needed to overcome some mistakes, which are bound to happen with a young team and new scheme.

I don't think the schedule is a difficult as it is being made out to be.

Navy, Purdue, Louisville, Rice, Michigan, Syracuse, Northwestern should all be comfortable wins.

That leaves a 5 game season with Stanford, ASU, North Carolina, USC and FSU. Teams like ASU and North Carolina never stay good for long stretches. Neither has the talent of ND and ND should win them both.

That leaves Stanford, who ND gets at home. Stanford plays a style that may be able to hurt ND, especially being thin on the defensive line. But ND should be able to score just enough points to pull this one out.

USC @ USC should be a good one. I feel by years end, USC will be feeling their lack of depth. Even though their starters rival ND's in talent, they just won't have enough to hang with the Irish.

That is 11 wins. I have a hard time seeing a healthy ND beating a healthy FSU @ FSU, so I think we'd need an injury to someone on FSU to pull that one out.

So I have ND going 11-1 this year in the regular season.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welp, about 1 week out. We know most of the key starters and hopefully there won't be anymore suspensions to worry about.

That means it is time for the annual season prediction thread, where those who are wrong never need look again and those who are right have a brief example of their brilliance for all eternity.

I see a young team, loaded with talent. The offense has everything you could want to be successful. The defense has the speed and athleticism needed to overcome some mistakes, which are bound to happen with a young team and new scheme.

I don't think the schedule is a difficult as it is being made out to be.

Navy, Purdue, Louisville, Rice, Michigan, Syracuse, Northwestern should all be comfortable wins.

That leaves a 5 game season with Stanford, ASU, North Carolina, USC and FSU. Teams like ASU and North Carolina never stay good for long stretches. Neither has the talent of ND and ND should win them both.

That leaves Stanford, who ND gets at home. Stanford plays a style that may be able to hurt ND, especially being thin on the defensive line. But ND should be able to score just enough points to pull this one out.

USC @ USC should be a good one. I feel by years end, USC will be feeling their lack of depth. Even though their starters rival ND's in talent, they just won't have enough to hang with the Irish.

That is 11 wins. I have a hard time seeing a healthy ND beating a healthy FSU @ FSU, so I think we'd need an injury to someone on FSU to pull that one out.

So I have ND going 11-1 this year in the regular season.

Wow.... that is way more optimism from you than I expected... but you made some solid points.

Here's where I'm at:

Highly probable wins:(I'll predict 5-0 in the category)

Rice

Purdue

Syracuse

Navy

Northwestern

Tougher games: (I say we go 3-1 here)

Michigan (they suck but we know the history here)

North Carolina

Arizona St.

Louisville

Hardest Games(1-2 prediction)

FSU

Stanford

USC

That settles me at a 9-3 regular season. If we had avoided ND's typical dramatic off season I would have tacked on another W... we were sooo close!

8-4 (or worse) makes me wonder about the length of BK's stay in South Bend. I have faith for now.

I can see 8-4 to 10-2 and the season will likely depend on how the defense pans out. New coach, new scheme, obvious losses at a couple of positions at this point and a lot of youth. There are almost certainly going to be growing pains and the lads are going to have to grow up fast.

Wow.... that is way more optimism from you than I expected... but you made some solid points.

Here's where I'm at:

Highly probable wins:(I'll predict 5-0 in the category)

Rice

Purdue

Syracuse

Navy

Northwestern

Tougher games: (I say we go 3-1 here)

Michigan (they suck but we know the history here)

North Carolina

Arizona St.

Louisville

Hardest Games(1-2 prediction)

FSU

Stanford

USC

That settles me at a 9-3 regular season. If we had avoided ND's typical dramatic off season I would have tacked on another W... we were sooo close!

8-4 (or worse) makes me wonder about the length of BK's stay in South Bend. I have faith for now.

I speak truths, which are labeled as pessimism when others don't like to face reality :wink:

10-2 with losses to Stanford (who pick apart the defense) and USC (who somehow pull off a bullsh!t win).

I think we surprise many by going down to Tallahassee and punching those donkeys right in the f-ing mouth a la 2002:

Agreed with Stanford and USC.

Disagree with FSU...but man that 02 game was a fun watch! Too bad it was followed by a 38-0 home shillacking

Did I really hear on espn that FSU is favored by 17+ in each game?

I see 9-3 or 10-2

Besides Alabama, BK hasn't shown a penchant for big scoreboard losses. I think the FSU game is tight. I can even see us winning. On that note, we go 10-2. As long as we beat Michigan. We lose and we go 8-4. Not sure of the losses. I'm thinking the same as Rocket on this one.

I KNOW Stanford is an 8-4 team this year. Chalk it up.

I KNOW that USC is going to be worse than their record indicates. They have a breezy schedule up to that point, only two real tests and both on the road.

I KNOW that Arizona State's defense is about experienced as the Pokemon card grand champion is in the sack. (2 starters returning on an already terrible defense)

I KNOW that UNC has been the trendy pick in the ACC for like 10 years running.

I KNOW Louisville is starting entirely from scratch as a program.

I KNOW we have the best QB of all the teams we play outside FSU.

I KNOW we play a total of 2 top tier rushing teams, that could exploit our middle. Of them I KNOW Stanford's O-Line is completely green.

11-1. Lock it up. Anything less than double digit wins puts Kelly firmly on the hotseat. Our schedule is criminally overrated and we should be scoring 30+ with regularity against the defenses we face.

i see a 9-3 season. I think NDs offense will be able to score points but will NDs inexperience in the front seven hurt us, specially against a team like Stanford who likes to ground and pound.

Does their inexperience with having to start four new offensive linemen, a brand new backfield and tight ends affect their ground and pound?

As it stands right now, 8-4 is the best I can see with our very young team. Losses to FSU, Stanford, and 2 of USC, ASU, UNC and watch out, NAVY. That triple option will have that young defense's head spinning and returning Reynolds at QB, they can minimize our possessions and keep it close.

If, by some miracle, we get our "3 starters" back, 10-2.

Does their inexperience with having to start four new offensive linemen, a brand new backfield and tight ends affect their ground and pound?

possibly, I didn't realize that Stanford was replacing so much on offense. in last years game I didn't think ND played all that bad other thant tommys turnovers.

Andrus Peat is possibly the best offensive tackle in the nation...

I think they will still have a dominant line despite the inexperience...

As it stands right now, 8-4 is the best I can see with our very young team. Losses to FSU, Stanford, and 2 of USC, ASU, UNC and watch out, NAVY. That triple option will have that young defense's head spinning and returning Reynolds at QB, they can minimize our possessions and keep it close.

This is where I tend to fall. 8-4 without our 3 starters back. 10-2 is a remote possibility with our starters back (losses to ASU and FSU). I think we beat Stanford and USC. USC will be hurt and tired by year end. We get Stanford at home and will keep them off balance with our new and faster offense. Said it in the beginning of the off season...... I would be happy with 9-3 and see that more likely even with our starters back. Our defense will be scrambling most of the season. I see us getting gutted up the middle.

http://i.imgur.com/1a7LpXd.jpg

Honestly. Being real. If Brian Kelly ever loses to Navy again. Fire him. On the spot. Don't even let him back on the plane to South Bend. Tell him to walk back to collect his ****. He's gone. Adios. Gerry "bleeping" Faust never lost to Navy. Tyrone never lost to Navy. The triple option is stupid. The reason no else one runs it, is because it's retarded. You know what got Charlie fired? Losing to Navy. We went over four decades without losing to them.

I don't care of our entire defense is 15 years old children with club feet. Who cares what they do offensively? They have 250lb defensive tackles. We should score 100 on these chumps. At some point, if this coaching staff wants to stick around, we need to simply out talent these joke teams.

Edited by piratey

Honestly. Being real. If Brian Kelly ever loses to Navy again. Fire him. On the spot. Don't even let him back on the plane to South Bend. Tell him to walk back to collect his ****. He's gone. Adios. Gerry "bleeping" Faust never lost to Navy. Tyrone never lost to Navy. The triple option is stupid. The reason no else one runs it, is because it's retarded. You know what got Charlie fired? Losing to Navy. We went over four decades without losing to them.

I don't care of our entire defense is 15 years old children with club feet. Who cares what they do offensively? They have 250lb defensive tackles. We should score 100 on these chumps. At some point, if this coaching staff wants to stick around, we need to simply out talent these joke teams.

Simply Phenomanal.

I don't care of our entire defense is 15 years old. Who cares? They have 250lb defensive tackles. We should score 100 on these chumps

Not saying I don't agree with you, but they played us to 4 points last year.

We SHOULD win that game every time. But their mickey mouse offense keeps games close. The reason other teams don't use it is b/c it's not "sexy".

If the offense shows up and executes, done deal. If they don't we'll be in for a tight one.

Solution to Navy - Dump them from our schedule. Build a library on campus and name it after them with a big plaque that says "Thank you" Done and Done.

I have a better idea. Why not build a new aquatic center, in the shape of a new Littoral combat ship?

http://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/independence.jpg