Would you stop watching?

I'd still watch as long as the pay was equal to all players and of a limited variety.

But if it became a bidding war for high school player and they were making big time money, I'd watch, but probably not as much as I do now. I don't really watch the NFL much for that reason.

I would lose a lot of interest but not at all.

It would be be bad pro sports to me, analogous to Canadian Football or the D-League in basketball.

I would still have to pretend I love it; my girl has all but completely given up on trying to get me to do stuff on fall Saturdays; I'm not giving that up. :-)

50k a year... lol

I would still watch, but the game would gradually diminish over time and cheating would run even more rampant.

People seem to think that these colleges will only pay the football players. That would break so many laws and regulations in place for equality. If you pay 85 male athletes, you will have to pay 85 female athletes. If you pay a female basketball player, you will have to pay the male basketball player. Most colleges do not have the money to pay all their athletes..

50k a year... lol

I would still watch, but the game would gradually diminish over time and cheating would run even more rampant.

People seem to think that these colleges will only pay the football players. That would break so many laws and regulations in place for equality. If you pay 85 male athletes, you will have to pay 85 female athletes. If you pay a female basketball player, you will have to pay the male basketball player. Most colleges do not have the money to pay all their athletes..

Ding ding ding

I do not believe in paying for play but I DO believe that the student-athlete should get a percentage of anything with their likeness or name on it. Hey! If you want some cash, then work hard enough to be a star! Makes the players better and the team better.

50k a year... lol

......Which is why some people have suggested that they have the boosters raise the money and pay the players themselves, instead of the schools footing the bill. That would, in theory, allow them to circumvent Title IX.

Of course, the problem would still be that a lot of boosters would pay players extra money under the table. The NCAA would have to put some sort of salary cap in place and enforce it strictly, with harsh punishments for teams that exceed the limit. But knowing the NCAA, they probably would be too incompetent to handle that kind of responsibility.

Edited by KC_Verballer
I think this thread was originally geared to asking whether paying players would affect your interest in CFB, not whether players should be paid.

Maybe I'm wrong.

Yes. I would still watch. Even if college football became essentially a fully professional minor league for the NFL I would still watch, as long as the teams were still affiliated with a college or university. I would be perfectly okay with that.

As soon as teams started paying signing bonuses to High School sophomores (or giving them cars and gifts and more in the open) I would have a massive loss of interest. I would look at it as NCAA football becoming the equivalent of the old CBA. I don't watch or follow minor league baseball, D-league basketball or the CFL and I would have zero interest in watching kids being paid to play at Notre Dame either.

To me, one of the single biggest draws about watching and cheering and living and dying ND football is the fact that ND does NOT do the same things as the SEC minor league teams do and the kids at ND ARE earning degrees (even if it takes a level of support than no other undergrad receives). Take that away, and we're left with generic uniforms and gold helmets...nice, but no where near sufficient to retain my interest beyond a year or two at most...

Free market economy. Send them out into the real world, see

how much they'd be making as 18, 19

20 year olds and match it. Here's your $10.50 an hour, kid.

No I'm being facetious. They make billions off the kids, our interns at work make $20-$25 an hour, why shouldn't they get some sort of stipend. Yeah, I graduated with tens of thousands in debt and I worked ****** jobs making no money, but I also wasn't special.

And the slippery slope of which sports get next is invalid

I'd be out. Entitlement era is making me nauseous.

Winner winner chicken dinner.

It wouldn't be immediately but I would find myself less and less interested. I'd stop posting on here...stop buying gear and eventually stop caring

I do not believe in paying for play but I DO believe that the student-athlete should get a percentage of anything with their likeness or name on it. Hey! If you want some cash, then work hard enough to be a star! Makes the players better and the team better.

I have been thinking about this a lot and I don't agree with it. My biggest issue with it is that like you said "be a star" and get paid. Well there are and would be many offensive linemen who work their tails off and who does that make look good? Qb's and RB's. Those two groups would get the money and the OL would get almost zero. Then the Olinemen would soon resent those players and the money they are bringing in when these guys are helping to protect them and make them look good.

I'm thinking anybody passionate enough about ND football to be on a message board would never let 'pay for play' stop them from watching the game..

Why? It would completely change the entire sport. Recruiting would be completely changed...