Zaire to be opening day QB !

gipper2nd

this ought to get your attention............according to Malik, ( per AP sports), he feels he will beat out Golson for the opening day start against Rice!
Dayne Crist thought the same thing in spring of 2009. Now, how'd that work out? I like his confidence, but it's Golson's team the next 2 seasons unless he gets kicked out again or hurt. All the spring reports consistently imply that Golson is a better passer and Zaire the better runner. Passing is still more important in Kelly's offense. Golson will start v. Rice and will put up plenty of points in 2014. Zaire will have to wait to start.

Go Irish!!

Based on what I've been reading I believe there is a good chance we will be running a two quarterbacks system. I think Zaire will be running some goal line packages as well as some running packages. Zaire will see the field a lot this year. But will he start? Not unless Golson gets hurt.

If you have 2 quarterbacks, you don't have 1.

I hope to God the only time we see MZ this year is in garbage time.

Malik is a talented and confident guy---ESPN LKES TO STIR THE POT___

that's all folks

Golson is starting without question!---In EG we have a guy that will make heisman noise---there will be NO 2 QB system--bank on it!

aloha's

"Without a doubt. There will only be one guy starting on Aug. 30th against Rice at Notre Dame Stadium, there will only be one guy out on the field, and I believe that will be me," he said.

Hard to say ESPN is the one stirring the pot with a quote like that..

It is apparently ESPN---that quote is from two days ago or so during some reporter pool like interviews--NOT AN ESPN EXCLUSIVE---Espn chose to go with this as a story about a potential QB controversy where other reporters took that quote for what it is and did not try and construct an article around it.

Zaire is just being confident as he should be

ESPN chose to stir the pot!

aloha's

It is apparently ESPN---that quote is from two days ago or so during some reporter pool like interviews--NOT AN ESPN EXCLUSIVE---Espn chose to go with this as a story about a potential QB controversy where other reporters took that quote for what it is and did not try and construct an article around it.

aloha's

Seemed like a pretty straight forward quote to me.. Agree to disagree.

Well, what if he is better than Golson? Wasn't that the argument for Golson over Tommy? Upside iver experience?

Now, my guess is Gokdon is the better QB st this point, but what if he isn't? The best guy should play.

I agree. I hope he is better than golson. Could you imagine?

Ahhhh the press knows how to get one's goat....:grin::grin:

This is silliness

Scout.com runs the story as 10000 miles zaire eyes top spot----they run it 3 days ago!

it opens " ah the life of a backup QB....."----;)

It is from the interview we all saw on tape where malik goes on about how they don't compete with each other they compete with themselves....they just want to win 12 games.... BLAH BLAH BLAH!

Everything else he says is devoid of an iota of controversy---- ESPN repackages this and features this one quote which in context was not nearly as aggressive as it sounds when you build an article around it.

THE BEST QB WILL START---AND IT WILL NOT BE MALIK IN 2014---:thumb:

aloha's

aloha's

Exactly... and old quote, rehashed to warm up the news cycle.

But here is a thought...... What IF CBK has told Malik he will start ... The first series..... as a reward for all the hard work on the scout team last year and being such a good soldier during TR's last stand. Keeping his nose clean and doing all the right things for the team? Just a thought. hmmmmmm?

Good. I'd be pissed if the kid felt any different. It'll push him and Everett.

Having said that, no chance in hell he beats out Golson. And no chance in hell it's a real two QB system

Pretty shocking comments from Zaire.. Golson is the starter IMO

Based on what I've been reading I believe there is a good chance we will be running a two quarterbacks system. I think Zaire will be running some goal line packages as well as some running packages. Zaire will see the field a lot this year. But will he start? Not unless Golson gets hurt.

Even though Kelly has had a two QB system with one getting 80% of the snaps, he has said several times that he doesn`t like it.