How bad was Ty Willingham really?

Ty's recruiting was really bad at ND. His body of recruiting and winning at ND and UW was pretty surprisingly bad after his years at Stanford.

In all candor, all 3 schools had to overcome poor personnel issue after he left.

I think it is pretty informative that no major school has sought him after acting as the head coach at 3 major universities. Not even as a position coach IIRC.

Ty's recruiting was really bad at ND. His body of recruiting and winning at ND and UW was pretty surprisingly bad after his years at Stanford.

In all candor, all 3 schools had to overcome poor personnel issue after he left.

I think it is pretty informative that no major school has sought him after acting as the head coach at 3 major universities. Not even as a position coach IIRC.

He really only had one "good" year at Stanford, the year they went to the Rose Bowl with the others being about .500 or slightly better seasons. One could make the argument that his success was built with Walsh's players too. The Pac 10 was extraordinarily weak then, Carroll wasn't even on scene at SC yet. Even in their good year they were curb-stomped by Texas early in the season by 50 points or so. He also lost to San Jose State 2-3 times during his tenure.

Just to support the above facts. He was 44-36-1 at Stanford, which was not great but not terrible by any means. His record at ND along with his recruiting is not very defensible, especially when you consider the how Charlie Weis performed with the same cast his first two years (2005 9 wins, 2006 10 wins).

Another fun fact....he is a member of the 13 person panel that picks the football teams that will go into the playoffs, so we may not be done talking about him in the past tense just yet.

I don't think he was terrible but he was mediocre and an awful recruiter. I only followed recruiting loosely at the time and even I noticed how bad his classes were outside of a few players here and there. I imagine some of those kids would have come to ND if they were being coached by Darth Vader.

He caught lightning in a bottle in 2002 with a good, opportunistic defense and special teams then it was basically all downhill from there.

His record at Stanford wasn't awful but he also coached there during a down period for USC and some other schools in the PAC-Whatever number it is now.

It helps to bear in mind that he was not ND's first choice but they were in a bit of a tough position after the O'Leary fiasco.

Oh and Kevin White stunk as an athletic director while there.

Ty was successful at Stanford because the Pac-10 sucked at that point. Keep in mind that the late 90s is before Oregon's rise, UCLA imploded after the 1998 season, and USC was in a free-fall under Paul Hackett. Winning 9 or 10 games in the Pac-10 sometimes didn't require much more than having 11 guys healthy enough to get on the bus.

Yeah, due to Ty's recruiting horribleness catching up to us!

Even with a garbage Junior/Senior class, those numbers are inexcusable... A team of freshman and sophomores still shouldn't lose to Air Force 42-24 at home(with 14 points coming against AF second team...)

Just to support the above facts. He was 44-36-1 at Stanford, which was not great but not terrible by any means. His record at ND along with his recruiting is not very defensible, especially when you consider the how Charlie Weis performed with the same cast his first two years (2005 9 wins, 2006 10 wins).

Another fun fact....he is a member of the 13 person panel that picks the football teams that will go into the playoffs, so we may not be done talking about him in the past tense just yet.

When he had a vote in the weekly poll he screwed us deluxe. Why do we reward failure and prejudice. This man should have no say whatsoever. I assure you he will shaft us with this opportunity. Wish we could put this thread and Ty to rest. Makes me want to vomit. It's time to turn our attention to spring football and we have so much to be excited about.

While I think that Weis should have had better results, he had no real OL for 2007.

No OL? You're telling me that these guys were so untalented that they were nearly the worst OL in the nation?

I say, nonsense.

C: John Sullivan Sr.- Still in NFL

G : Turkovich Jr. - (other offers BC, LSU, Wisconsin)

G: Olson So-NFL Draftee, two years in league

T: Duncan Jr (Other offers Oklahoma, LSU, )

T: Young S0- NFL Draftee

This was a talented mix of younger and older players. Nobody is to blame for their abject failure to produce a running game than Weis. He was a terrible developer of line talent on both sides of the ball, which is why he is a failure as a Head Coach.

No OL? You're telling me that these guys were so untalented that they were nearly the worst OL in the nation?

I say, nonsense.

This was a talented mix of younger and older players. Nobody is to blame for their abject failure to produce a running game than Weis. He was a terrible developer of line talent on both sides of the ball, which is why he is a failure as a Head Coach.

Weiss had no concept of how to run the ball in college. Every running play seemed to be a straight run off tackle. No misdirection. The one reverse I can remember was to Golden Tate for 21 yards. Never saw it again. No counter stuff. So plain and so vanilla.

But the offensive line was absolutely pathetic. No numbers. Jimmy got maimed. You should bring in a minimum of 3-4 O linemen every year. Ty simply didn't even recruit them. When we lost the big stud out of Arizona we had nobody else to go after. I kept thinking, is nobody seeing this? He's killing us. How long do we have to wait to get rid of his ***?

I say, nonsense.

Ding Ding Ding.

And it's not like that stable was devoid of talent. Sure Darius left a year early... but James Aldridge was a 5* running back out of high school. Armando and Hughes were both 4*'s coming out. Junior Jabbie was a kid that never even got a shot...

You're thinking back to the mid-90's when Lou left and Davie took over. That was Barnett's "hot coach" moment, during Ty's time he was at Colorado. Urban was the hot commodity when Ty was getting canned.

Yep, you're right. I was confusing the two. Thanks for the reminder.