How bad was Ty Willingham really?

I was not a Notre Dame fan back then, wasn't a diehard football guy really. I know ND was kinda cornered to hire him. Some claim Ty got a raw deal, that he never got the support he needed from the administrators and was on a short leash from the jump but quickly pulled the plug to get into the urban meyer lottery.

Most of those stories come from outsiders. I'm looking for some folks who were fans and following the team religiously back then and heard and saw what really went on from all sides.

Was it a quick pull?

Did he really spend more time golfing then on his football duties?

I'm discussing him on another site and want to get some info from those who lived it.

Thank you.

I was not a Notre Dame fan back then, wasn't a diehard football guy really. I know ND was kinda cornered to hire him. Some claim Ty got a raw deal, that he never got the support he needed from the administrators and was on a short leash from the jump but quickly pulled the plug to get into the urban meyer lottery.

Most of those stories come from outsiders. I'm looking for some folks who were fans and following the team religiously back then and heard and saw what really went on from all sides.

Was it a quick pull?

Did he really spend more time golfing then on his football duties?

I'm discussing him on another site and want to get some info from those who lived it.

Thank you.

We lost by 30+ points FIVE TIMES in his three years

His second recruiting class was ranked 91st with only 16 kids and a mere two 4*s

His last recruiting class was ranked 40th with also only 2 4* kids...

Go into the archive davislove and check the 2004 recruiting class-, that should answer many questions,--Ty still had a firm grasp on the job then, and yet seemed totally unable or uninterested in recruiting----Zibby recalls after he verballed at his house he never heard from Ty again and when he came for his official NOBODY even met him at the airport---:cry:

There are reasons he is no longer in coaching

aloha's

Willingham coached while I was at ND. 2002 season was very exciting starting 8-0 but we all knew it was lucky wins...like a defensive or spec teams touchdown. That's just how I remember it. Guess that can be expected when Pat Dillingham is your QB for part of the season. After 2002 it was just brutal and can be likened to Charlie Weis. Charlie started out white hot and then you knew the players just couldn't get pumped up to play for him and we just got blown out. Difference is Charlie could recruit and did so throughout his tenure so that's why i think Charlie lasted as long as he did.

Quick side note the student who made the very popular "Return to Glory" shirt in 2002 was in Fisher Hall with me. He tried to walk onto football team as a kicker. Failed. He kicked for our Fisher interhall football team...missed every field goal that season and I thought to myself "you tried out for ND???". He eventually dropped outta ND after freshman year....odd dude.

How was he X and O's wise? did his players like him? what type of staff did he have? We know denbrock can recruit.

He was a terrible offensive coach. The worst offense I have ever seen at ND was Ty's team.

His failure to recruit was ASTONISHING! I mean, you should be able to fall outta bed at ND and get a top 20 class but as Hawaii pointed out, he was far, far worse then that! Unbelievable...

Ty was (one of) the coaches while I was there. He was a really, really nice guy -- when he got there, one of his first priorities was to go around to every dorm and meet the students to repair the damage that Diaco had done with the student body -- who had no business being a head football coach. Hence, why he is the volunteer assistant women's golf coach at Stanford.

Our teams were in poor physical condition, there was no passion, and I'm not sure he could correctly identify all 11 offensive and defensive positions without cue cards. I had two friends on his teams, and if you asked them about Ty, they gave you sort of a muddled, "oh, he's a good coach" response. Clearly they didn't connect with him.

We are still trying to recover from Ty. If he had stayed one more year I don't think we could be any where near what we are today. We would have been the laughing stock of the country. He got off to a hot start with Bob Davie's players but that was the luckiest team I have ever seen. I don't even want to talk about that pathetic excuse for a human being after he played the race card. You got fired because you suck Ty, plain and simple. And you are one lazy.........

We are still trying to recover from Ty. If he had stayed one more year I don't think we could be any where near what we are today. We would have been the laughing stock of the country. He got off to a hot start with Bob Davie's players but that was the luckiest team I have ever seen. I don't even want to talk about that pathetic excuse for a human being after he played the race card. You got fired because you suck Ty, plain and simple. And you are one lazy.........

Get off the fence and tell us how you really feel:-P.

What did you think about the hire? Who was the "hot " coaching rumor at the time?

How was he X and O's wise? did his players like him? what type of staff did he have? We know denbrock can recruit.

good Ty

2002- [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spKnuHf_ZF4[/ame]

Bad Ty

[ame]

[/ame]

2004 ripped by Purdue at home, beats Tennessee on the road, gets RIPPED by USC at home

He was west coast offense, 4-3 defense,

widely inconsistent, Decidedly Mediocre.

We thought we could hit a Home run with Urban Meyer and ended up fouling it off getting the same results in Weis.

If Ty would have been here longer I think things would have gotten worse, just as weis POST Clausen 2010- would have been AWFUL.

We now have the RIGHT GUY. I'm ready to close those old books forever, join me.

Edited by FaithInIrishForever

Also, we shouldn't mention Ty Willingham without also mentioning the worst Athletic Director in school history: Kevin White

Among White's many "accomplishments":

- Extended Bob Davie's contract

- Hired George O'Leary without doing one speck of due dilligence

- Hired Ty Willingham

- Bungled the hiring of Urban Meyer

- Hired Charlie Weis (which I don't think the initial hiring was bad, except in retrospect)

- Extended Charlie Weis because we almost beat USC

And that's just in football. Let us not forget that White also was responsible for the Matt Doherty debacle. And the reason we have Mike Brey (who I like) is because he screwed up trying to hire Ernie Kent and PJ Carlesimo. Now, maybe it's a good thing neither of those guys got hired, but the fact that he wanted them first AND he screwed it up says a lot about his abilities.

The fact that we've recovered from the Willingham and White era is rather amazing.

Edited by ztexz
good Ty

2002- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spKnuHf_ZF4

Bad Ty

2004 ripped by Purdue at home, beats Tennessee on the road, gets RIPPED by USC at home

He was west coast offense, 4-3 defense,

widely inconsistent, Decidedly Mediocre.

We thought we could hit a Home run with Urban Meyer and ended up fouling it off getting the same results in Weis.

If Ty would have been here longer I think things would have gotten worse, just as weis POST Clausen 2010- would have been AWFUL.

We now have the RIGHT GUY. I'm ready to close those old books forever, join me.

West coast offense? Ya mean when he tried to fit a square peg into a round hole by trying to make Carlyle a drop back passer? Talk about playing to your strengths! Lol!

CW was light-years ahead of Ty. There is no comparison. CW showed we could have a modern offense and, most importantly, that ND could recruit with anyone. Those were big effin deals. Don't forget that...

The hot commodity in coaching at the time was Gary Barnett who was still at Northwestern. It was also rumored at the time that Barnett hated ND.

You're thinking back to the mid-90's when Lou left and Davie took over. That was Barnett's "hot coach" moment, during Ty's time he was at Colorado. Urban was the hot commodity when Ty was getting canned.

He was a terrible offensive coach. The worst offense I have ever seen at ND was Ty's team.

His failure to recruit was ASTONISHING! I mean, you should be able to fall outta bed at ND and get a top 20 class but as Hawaii pointed out, he was far, far worse then that! Unbelievable...

^^this... Just crazy to think he could only get a couple of 4*'s Ty is/was a terrible coach, At least Weis brought in studs.

I think Weis's 2007 offense was worse:

Rushing offense rank: #115

Passing Offense Rank: #110

Total Offense rank: #119

Scoring Offense Rank: #116

Frankus is right here. Charlie knew the season was a bust, so decided to play his young players to take his lumps and hopefully get better as the season went along. For some reason, I remember Clausen playing through a bum elbow. Not defending Charlie, but he had no solid upper classmen left from the Ty debacle. I remember watching them live against Michigan and it was probably the single worst offensive game I can remember by any team (let alone ND).