Isaiah McKenzie rumor

Pete Sampson said on Irish Illustrated that his source at American Heritage tells him that McKenzie was able to raise his GPA enough to qualify. He didn't say if that meant he would qualify at ND or just that he is now meeting minimum NCAA requirements.

At this rate, by the time we get into spring attrition, were going to need this kid to play both ways. We've run off that ma... I mean he's that good!

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pete Sampson said on Irish Illustrated that his source at American Heritage tells him that McKenzie was able to raise his GPA enough to qualify. He didn't say if that meant he would qualify at ND or just that he is now meeting minimum NCAA requirements.

A local article before Xmas reported his GPA as 2.8. With some hard work and a few A's this last semester that could have popped up to a 3 which might be the ND minimum for his SAT. I think a 2.8 would have been fine for the NCAA so my guess is that they were referring to ND eligible.

A local article before Xmas reported his GPA as 2.8. With some hard work and a few A's this last semester that could have popped up to a 3 which might be the ND minimum for his SAT. I think a 2.8 would have been fine for the NCAA so my guess is that they were referring to ND eligible.

This kid's come a long way academically. Not to open the doors of admission to him would be against everything the university stands for as far as having a very diverse student population.

Looks like he cleared admissions at ND. The good news. The bad is that he's opening up his recruiting and will take visits to Florida and Oregon. Nothing yet for ND as fas as officials go.

LOL isn't that the way it goes. We're the nice guys who take a chance on the nerdy girl for prom. Then she takes her glasses off and lets down her hair and POOF! She gone.

To sum it up the best I can (others chime in)...Most ND sites do NOT think McKenzie is fully qualified for ND. He did raise his GPA but would have to raise his SAT score for ND (I assume here), he apparently is qualified for the NCAA. Over the past few months he has started to get attention and will now visit Oregon, UF and Ole Miss. May or may not visit ND (to me this says he isn't qualified for ND or was blowing major smoke)

To sum it up the best I can (others chime in)...Most ND sites do NOT think McKenzie is fully qualified for ND.

id rather ND just move on. if he's having this much trouble just trying to get into ND then it maybe hard for him to stay eligible while at ND. im just so tired of academic issues with football and now bball that I'd rather start looking elsewhere, not sure it's worth it in the long run.

I watch what Oregon was able to do with DeAnthony Thomas and compare that to what ND did with Davonte Neal and I think my decision is fairly easy.

Granted he really seems to like ND so hopefully the school lets him in and we get to watch him shake people for the next 4 years.

Not the best comparison there because Neal was at ND for only 1 year as a freshmen while Thomas had multiple years. I agree with your point overall that Oregon is probably the better option for a short speedster like him, but Neal could have been good here... who knows.

LOL isn't that the way it goes. We're the nice guys who take a chance on the nerdy girl for prom. Then she takes her glasses off and lets down her hair and POOF! She gone.

And bangs some random dude on spring break and ruins a two year relationship.

And bangs some random dude on spring break and ruins a two year relationship.

Hahaha ridiculous. In all seriousness who knows how much work Mckenzie actually did. None of us know. Who knows how much he really liked us to begin with as well. Everything since he qualified has been the exact opposite of what we were told beforehand. I think we were just a placeholder or the best option. He claimed he was committed to a school that couldn't even speak with him. Thats a smart way to get your name out there, and tied to ND football...maybe someone's eyes would open and take a look at him if ND did. Months ago I wondered if every school in the US gave him a scholly, would ND still be his pick? And I thought probably not. And thats how the situation is for many of the commits from the last 2 seasons...they have scholly's everywhere...and they pick us. But we all spoke about McKenzie as if he was a die hard ND guy. He said how much he loves ND and blah blah...its all garbage. If he really did this would be done and there would be no discussion of Oregon or Florida. And even if he comes to ND, we all know he's a liability for the 1st semester. At least until we see his grades. The whole situation looks bleak. Unfortunately.

I understand what your saying. But thats not what I said. Recruits that say one thing and do another are usually a problem in the recruiting world. Everything he said made it seem as though he only wanted to attend ND...if he qualified of course. And thats definitely not the case. The minute he received more offers he changed plans. At the end of the day, he seems like a headache all of a sudden. I hope we go after Nelson or whoever brings a similar skill set equally as hard to make sure we did our due diligence. Obviously Mckenzie is Mckenzie...there aren't many recruits like him. But if we put a press on Mckenzie, and Mckenzie only, we may get nothing. Its looking more like that. We'll just have to wait for the Alford visit and see if that secures him.

what is wrong with this kid taking other visits? why not take the free trips and see what else is out there and if it fits you better?

he doesnt have to make his choice to make ND fans happy. he shoukd do ehat is best for him.

What is best for him is to come to ND, return kicks, get an amazing degree, get some culture outside of South Florida, get out of the hood in South Florida (and yes I say hood because I know he lives in a terrible area) and take a chance in life for the better.

Yes, I am telling him what is best for him because I have the benefit of hindsight...

Also, I think Larry Johnson going to Ohio State is a freaking joke. All these old Penn State guys talk about being a Penn Stater for life and we have to bring someone who is a Penn State man in to really get the best, etc., etc. then this guy switches to their biggest rival. Holley will be a buckeye soon too.

What is best for him is to come to ND, return kicks, get an amazing degree, get some culture outside of South Florida, get out of the hood in South Florida (and yes I say hood because I know he lives in a terrible area) and take a chance in life for the better.

Yes, I am telling him what is best for him because I have the benefit of hindsight...

Also, I think Larry Johnson going to Ohio State is a freaking joke. All these old Penn State guys talk about being a Penn Stater for life and we have to bring someone who is a Penn State man in to really get the best, etc., etc. then this guy switches to their biggest rival. Holley will be a buckeye soon too.

Re Holley. Urban dropped him earlier this cycle, so OSU was no longer an option.

I think they're waiting on Soloman Thomas. Could

Obviously change now with LJ.