Isaiah McKenzie rumor

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The most sickening thing about his highlight videos is the fact that his high school team has a better punt return scheme than ND.....and it's not even close. How this guy is a 3 star is beyond me. Very impressive.

Maybe if he is admitted to ND, he can bring the tape along so BK can implement it.

We don't need better returners. We need a coach who is willing to let them return it. Whether it's Heggie or Rocket back there, it doesn't matter if no one is blocking....intentionally.

it was clearly a joke

or i thought it was clear anyways based on your post above it lol

Edited by Paulo1300
Maybe if he is admitted to ND, he can bring the tape along so BK can implement it.

If Neal didn't get a chance to return, neither will McKenzie. Nothing has changed in 4 years regarding ST....sure as hell don't expect it to change now...

If Neal didn't get a chance to return, neither will McKenzie. Nothing has changed in 4 years regarding ST....sure as hell don't expect it to change now...

You will be proven wrong.

Prior to coming to ND BK 's punt return units have consistently been top notch ,

Unfortunately he hadn't really had a dynamic returner here.

McKenzie will be that kind of guy, and BK will unleash him

Edited by NDBadaBing

Prior to coming to ND BK 's punt return units have consistently been top notch ,

Didn't the rules change so that all members of the punt team (including "linemen") could run down field immediately? Also, they allow the three players to form shield in backfield so that it is hard to block even if everyone else runs down field?

In his 3 years at Cincy, his punt return was 70th, 49th and 18th. I don't agree that is consistently top notch.

If in your last 7 years as a coach, you've had one punt return team ranked higher then 49 and only two above 70, that is not a player issue.

I honestly don't know how anyone can defend our special teams it's atrocious... and it's sad because my father being a Husker fan brought me to my first Notre Dame game when Notre Dame played Nebraska back in 2000 and the only reason we were in that game was because of special teams. It is a very important part of a game and I don't understand why the staff hasn't addressed that yet.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/teccxSiIDrw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/m7oUHLXlve4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Don't know if it's been posted, but II has a source saying that McKenzie has "made the grade." Don't know if that means he's cleared NCAA requirements or ND requirements...but if he's got past the hurdles, I think the ND staff can point to his desire to be at ND, the fact that he worked his tail off to get cleared -- basically, go to bat for him.

I'm much more confident that he's a part of this class than I was three weeks ago.

Love BK, but I disagree with you here. The special teams are ATROCIOUS, and have been all four years.

It drives me crazy -- you can make the argument that Robert Blanton's blocked punt in 2010 was the biggest play of that season. It happened right after Declan Sullivan's death, the Tulsa loss, and ND was in danger of not even qualifying for a bowl. Blanton blocks the punt, we never give up the lead, and ND wins the rest of their games.

Since then? Nothing. No aggression. Poor schemes. No HOPE of anybody returning a punt. It's amazingly frustrating -- Blanton's play CHANGED THE SEASON and since then they've never had the thought "hey, you know what -- big special teams plays tend to be the deciding factor in huge games." (See, national championship game Monday night).

I think BK gets unfairly criticized on here a lot, but the special teams stuff is absolutely deserved. It's unexcusable.

Love BK, but I disagree with you here. The special teams are ATROCIOUS, and have been all four years.

It drives me crazy -- you can make the argument that Robert Blanton's blocked punt in 2010 was the biggest play of that season. It happened right after Declan Sullivan's death, the Tulsa loss, and ND was in danger of not even qualifying for a bowl. Blanton blocks the punt, we never give up the lead, and ND wins the rest of their games.

Since then? Nothing. No aggression. Poor schemes. No HOPE of anybody returning a punt. It's amazingly frustrating -- Blanton's play CHANGED THE SEASON and since then they've never had the thought "hey, you know what -- big special teams plays tend to be the deciding factor in huge games." (See, national championship game Monday night).

I think BK gets unfairly criticized on here a lot, but the special teams stuff is absolutely deserved. It's unexcusable.

I agree 100%. I feel like after the MSU fake field goal, Kelly's acted like he's allergic to doing anything on special teams out of fear of something like that happening again.

Well said Sir!

Seriously, watch the PR unit for ND and then compare that to almost any other team on TV. ND does not try to block the punt and they do not try to set up a return...it is almost like they are playing against a fake on every kick.

I guess I should be happy ND can make field goals more consistently now.

The kicking game has improved a lot. Kick return improved this year. Punt return? No answers here. Maybe BK just wants the guy to catch it and not fumble.

I'll say that Brindza has been very good, but there are still some head scratching misses. I almost put my fist on the wall when he missed a chip shot against ASU.

BK has had plenty of dynamic guys on the roster. He's chosen to be conservative. I don't think McKenzie will be any different. You can have Devin Hester out there, but he aint going anywhere if there are no blocks and you are in safe mode every time.

How many big kickoff returns did ND give up this year? It felt like at least one every game. Those are huge momentum changers. Brindza has single handedly improved the kicking game, but punt returns and kickoff coverage are serious issues at ND. One year of bad special teams and you can give the coach a pass, there is no excuse for four years straight and seemingly getting worse.

I don't believe ND has ever given up a return TD since Kelly's arrival.

We have had two or three. Guess we are ahead in that department.

just long returns that lead to them.

6 in one hand, half dozen in the other.

For having such a meticulous coach ST has been sorely overlooked.

just long returns that lead to them.

6 in one hand, half dozen in the other.

For having such a meticulous coach ST has been sorely overlooked.

I don't want to disagree with you, but I'll say this.

Sometimes you see a couple instances of something and it makes it feel like much more of an issue.

There was the SC game where we saw a couple long returns but how many of those turned into touchdowns?

So yeah, they do create field position, but go over to the thread cory started and read up on some numbers there.

Here's some video for people who haven't seen his highlights yet... Human joystick is right getting a little Dante Hall action.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/3p6JODn9ORw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

After wTching that film. Is he more like Deanthony Thomas or Noel Devine?

Oh , I have read some comments that Nelson is as good as McKenzie but I want the latter.

So yeah' date=' they do create field position, but go over to the thread cory started and read up on some numbers there.[/quote']

they also create mo for our opponent and put our d in bad situations.

I'll trust what my eyes have seen over #s on this issue.

they also create mo for our opponent and put our d in bad situations.

I'll trust what my eyes have seen over #s on this issue.

they do indeed create momentum and put our defense against the wall. we agree they are bad for any team. I do want to find out how many of those long returns turned into touchdowns (not that it means those long returns are OK).

Notre Dame punt coverage gave up:

2(1): 20-29

2(1): 30-39

1(0): 40-49

(2012 numbers)

Notre Dame kick coverage gave up:

15(9): 30-39

6(3): 40-49

3(0): 50-59

(2012 numbers)

All that translates into 25.XX yards per return this season. Better than Auburn :laugh:

But we can agree that number (which is nearly worst in the nation) needs to come down drastically. I pointed this out in the other thread (however, you cherry picked another line in that post).

However, something else I pointed out was that the difference between 125 in the nation and 30 in the nation is like 5.5 yards per return.

Edited by Parseghian's theorem
they do indeed create momentum and put our defense against the wall. we agree they are bad for any team. I do want to find out how many of those long returns turned into touchdowns (not that it means those long returns are OK).

Notre Dame punt coverage gave up:

2(1): 20-29

2(1): 30-39

1(0): 40-49

(2012 numbers)

Notre Dame kick coverage gave up:

15(9): 30-39

6(3): 40-49

3(0): 50-59

(2012 numbers)

All that translates into 25.XX yards per return this season. Better than Auburn :laugh:

But we can agree that number (which is nearly worst in the nation) needs to come down drastically. I pointed this out in the other thread (however, you cherry picked another line in that post).

However, something else I pointed out was that the difference between 125 in the nation and 30 in the nation is like 5.5 yards per return.

Regardless, an earlier poster nailed it: BK is overly conservative on special teams and in doing so has lost some of the benefits of being conservative. I think what is many, including me, find frustrating about BK is his schizophrenic approach to coaching. Sometimes maddeningly aggressive, others times inexplicably passive. Quite frankly, the fact that program still does still not have an identity is what keeps me from being "all in."

Regardless, an earlier poster nailed it: BK is overly conservative on special teams and in doing so has lost some of the benefits of being conservative. I think what is many, including me, find frustrating about BK is his schizophrenic approach to coaching. Sometimes maddeningly aggressive, others times inexplicably passive. Quite frankly, the fact that program still does still not have an identity is what keeps me from being "all in."

I think it's a mistake to get caught up in identity and this is what we do and we're gonna do it regardless blah-blah-blah. Stanford got caught up in that and it cost them a Rose Bowl.

BK at his core is about up-tempo fast-paced offense. But he's also smart enough to realize if you don't have the right personnel - especially at QB - you do whatever you have to do to maximize the talent at hand. In other words, you figure out a way to win a game every Saturday.

I think he's done that pretty well considering the limitations at QB and Tommy's penchant for back-breaking turnovers. We've been in just about every game we've played. Gone are the days we looked like we didn't belong on the same field, save for the NC game last year against a remarkable Alabama team.

And when BK gets his real QB back - and the guys following him, all of whom fit a specific skill-set - I think the offense will change dramatically.