New DC at ND

ShamrockSquad

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If true... VanGorder is a solid to superior hire.

He last worked with Kelly 20+ years ago... it is not an incestuous hire. He has gone off and established his own record.

Aside from having a NCAA / NFL pedigree ... he is a position coach in an area of need.

That he knows Kelly is a bonus. I have seen many teams get off to slow (no) starts because of unfamiliarity of tendencies and expectations.

This guy has been everywhere....I don't know if that's a good thing or not. Looks like BK got what he wanted though....Someone he's familiar with, someone with experience, someone with a LB background, and from what I have seen, someone that can recruit.

I hear his big sales pitch to recruits is that they have to come to Notre Dame if he can't throw a football over that mountain.

My last memory of Brian VanGorder was him being the DC for one of the worst Auburn teams (and defenses) I've ever seen in 2012. Then he left and Auburn is in a national title game the next season.

Don't know enough to form any deeper connections than that.

I just want to point out:

2012 Auburn defense: ranked 77th

2013 Auburn defense: ranked 88th

He had two seasons as DC at Georgia wih a top 5 scoriong defense and the broyles award for top assisitant---DC in the NFL---DC at auburn--LB coach

The guy has a good resume--

The thing is you have to trust Kelly here---this isn't some guy we look around and pick someone as we have seen from previous coaches.

elly knows this guy from GVS , you can bet he is one of those coaches where he has followed his career and often thought about the possibility of working with him.

He knows SEC defense

He knows NFL defense

He has experience but is still young---NFL experience will help in recruiting--Southern experience will help with recruiting.

And most of all Kelly knows him and his career path---he knows Kelly---

This is likely THE END of the bend but don't break style which I won't mourn and we may see a new look 4-3---

Defense needs fresh IMHO---

I think I LIKE IT!

aloha's

I am not as well versed in this area of DCs as some of you. Wasn't old Rex Ryan considered a defensive guru and good coach in the NFL at one time? I would wonder why he is accepting the job. Is his time in the NFL done? Is he no longer upwardly mobile in the pros? Is he going to be the HC in waiting?

He had two seasons as DC at Georgia wih a top 5 scoriong defense and the broyles award for top assisitant---DC in the NFL---DC at auburn--LB coach

The guy has a good resume--

The thing is you have to trust Kelly here---this isn't some guy we look around and pick someone as we have seen from previous coaches.

elly knows this guy from GVS , you can bet he is one of those coaches where he has followed his career and often thought about the possibility of working with him.

He knows SEC defense

He knows NFL defense

He has experience but is still young---NFL experience will help in recruiting--Southern experience will help with recruiting.

And most of all Kelly knows him and his career path---he knows Kelly---

This is likely THE END of the bend but don't break style which I won't mourn and we may see a new look 4-3---

Defense needs fresh IMHO---

I think I LIKE IT!

aloha's

I'm not sold on the Cat position. How many Dumerville's and Vonn Millers are out there. I love a wide side defensive end with a hand down. I think more 4 3 fits us better..

I just want to point out:

2012 Auburn defense: ranked 77th

2013 Auburn defense: ranked 88th

You can play this game a few ways.

In terms of scoring defense (how many points a defense allows):

2012 Auburn defense: ranked 66th (28.33).

2013 Auburn defense: ranked 35th (24).

I don't know all the reasons Auburn sucked, and I don't claim to. I just know he was the DC for one year, and it was one of the worst in school history. Now they're playing for a national title game less than 12 months later. So *someone* wasn't doing a very impressive job there.