The Redshirts (And More) Are Coming

OklahomaIrish

I know this year is yet to wind down, but I think next year has the potential to be better than 2012. Of course this optimism centers around the return of Golson, and rightfully so. Just think, after he completes winter conditioning, he will get reacclimated with the playbook and we will get to see him battle Malik Zaire in the spring game. I certainly hope to be there.

This is an annual thread and probably won't be the last. I'm sure Hawaii will have another one at a more appropriate time, but guys like Faith, OKCIrish and many more of you are stoked about next year. Here's some fuel for that fire.

OFFENSE.....Redshirts with considerable talent include....

Greg Bryant _ Instant contributor. Best back on the team. He isn't going anywhere except into the teeth and then into the secondary of opposing defenses. Yeah, Folston is great, this kid is better, and so are we.

Torri Hunter.......Get ready, another star in the making. Perceived as the best player on the scout team despite his devastating injury. Not yet 100% but he should be by spring practice. Very tough to guard, great acceleration and strong hands. Absolutely will be in the rotation game one. Great addition.

Malik Zaire.......Finally, A real quality backup. In some areas he is better than Golson. Just wait till you see him take a long one to the house. Passing will be better than you think. Left hander has made great strides. Knute Rockne would say, left hand em, right hand em!!! Expect to see him early. He makes us better.

Mike Heureman......Boy can run. Was highly recruited. Just don't know about his hands yet. Let's hope we are pleasantly surprised. He was 6' 4'' and 225 when he came in. I expect him to be about 238.

Durham Smythe......This one came in at 6' 5'' and 235. Heard good things about him from the scout team. Should see the field and hope he is 250. He needs to be one of those tight ends that can line up inside and block. I think he will.

Colin McGovern, John Montelus, Hunter Bivin and Mike McGlinchey.....I'm grouping them together because I have no idea who will emerge first. They are all huge and highly recruited. They have had a full year under Longo. Our depth will be better than at anytime since Holtz and next year it gets even better. Probably better than in the days of Holtz......and that is really saying something.

DEFENSE.....

Doug Randolph.....This 4 star linebacker was redshirted because of injury. This is a big addition. Not sure if he will be inside or outside, but we need him and he should play. Absolutely makes us a better team.

Jacob Matuska......Many people have forgotten about him. He's a big defensive end that should be about 285 pounds at 6' 4''. I can't wait to see him. He's supposed to be good off the edge.

Rashad Kinlaw.....A very gifted athlete slated to be a corner. He's had a history of injury but that is in the past. He played some quarterback and was hard to tackle. This could be a big surprise at corner as he is similar to Kivarie Russell.

That's all the redshirts of note, but I must add that we get back 3 players from injury that could and should help. First is Tony Springmann on the D line. He may well be the nose if he is healthy. Chase Hounshell....he was a 4 star lineman and played some his freshman year. Missed two years with injury and hopefully will be a big contributor next year. We need him.

Nicky Barratti.....Boy, that injury sure set back his career. Remember his interception against Michigan?? Kid is smart, knows the defense and should see the field.

Basically, the redshirts are stronger than in years past because we had such an outstanding recruiting year. Hopefully this will be the norm. We are about to sign another top rated very deep class. The stronger we get, the stronger the redshirt class. We are building and building. In the future, we can take a loss like to Golson and just keep on ticking. Next year....Notre Dame is truly back.

Disagree on Bryant being the best back. Folston will have the better nfl and college career. He is a natural born runner with excellent vision. In addition, he has the size to finish runs and punish defenders now. Bryant will be awesome, but I think you're underestimating folston here!

Disagree on Bryant being the best back. Folston will have the better nfl and college career. He is a natural born runner with excellent vision. In addition, he has the size to finish runs and punish defenders now. Bryant will be awesome, but I think you're underestimating folston here!

I don't think I'm underestimating Folston. I think he is the best back I have seen at Notre Dame in a long time. But according to reports from players and onlookers, Bryant is the best back on the team. 5 stars are not given out without a lot of scrutiny.

It's hard to imagine Bryant being better than was Folston. We were wowed by the change of direction, acceleration and ability to bounce off the first tackler. Everything is pointing skyward for next year's offense.

Greg Bryant will be a star...NFL experts have been talking about him even with his lack of PT this year...he is the real deal....has all the talent to be a top tier back and with the OL prospects that heistand has been landing I expect Folston and Bryant to be an even better Cierre Wood/Theo combo...Bryant will fill the role theo had and probably be even better at it...We are going to have an elite offense next season if the game plan is executed...NFL talent at every position on offense

I dont think he is underestimating Folston as much as you are underestimating Bryant. Folston has shown plenty of potential, I dont think there is anyone on here that would disagree with that. However, you have to remember the Bryant was considered the better back be every recruiting service as well as the staff this past summer. Bryant was a 5* RB on at least two of the recruiting services if I remember correctly. Bryant has all the potential in the world to be the best back ND has had in recent memory.

That is why everyone is so excited about a Folston/Bryant 1-2 punch. People are already excited about Folston and Bryant is suppose to be the better one.

I don't think I'm underestimating Folston. I think he is the best back I have seen at Notre Dame in a long time. But according to reports from players and onlookers, Bryant is the best back on the team. 5 stars are not given out without a lot of scrutiny.

It's hard to imagine Bryant being better than was Folston. We were wowed by the change of direction, acceleration and ability to bounce off the first tackler. Everything is pointing skyward for next year's offense.

I have read a couple of articles that quoted players saying that Bryant is the hardest to bring down. I haven't seen one that says that he is the best.

Bryant is a couple of pounds lighter than Folston but runs like he is 20 pounds heavier. He does not have the quick cuts or "jukes" as Folston but he runs past or through the defenders and he is fast.

I love the way Folston runs. He gets every foot that he can. And then there is Bryant. Tougher, faster, straight ahead runner and a great receiver.

If I had to pick one, it would be Bryant. But since we have both, I don`t have to pick. Bryant, Folston and McDaniel in 2014.

Mike McGlinchey is going to be a very good player but at what position? He is an OT but at 6'8" and 290 pounds. He is very athletic, he can run and catch the ball and could be an excellent TE.

Kelly said that he is a better passer than most of our QBs. We could have used him this year as a Wildcat. I like our chances on 4th and 1 and Mike as our QB.

I know, I am dreaming but Mike is another player that is going to make the future exciting.

Appreciate the insight gentleman but I'm gonna stick with Folston. I love the underdog whose dad is of NFL pedigree. Overall, I'm thrilled were even having this debate. I think we can all agree it's been way overdue to argue about two potential NFL starters. Too bad hood didn't work out haha i might have to go with that diesel overall honestly. Pains me that he's going to a garbage UNC team but best of luck to him.

Mike McGlinchey is going to be a very good player but at what position? He is an OT but at 6'8" and 290 pounds. He is very athletic, he can run and catch the ball and could be an excellent TE.

Kelly said that he is a better passer than most of our QBs. We could have used him this year as a Wildcat. I like our chances on 4th and 1 and Mike as our QB.

I know, I am dreaming but Mike is another player that is going to make the future exciting.

McGlinchey really has me thinking. We don't really NEED him on the offensive line, but he would be a darn good left tackle. We have so much talent on that line and it just keeps coming. I'd love to see him at tight end. 6' 8'' is just so intriguing. Then, to take advantage of his arm, we could have a tight end reverse only he throws it to a deep receiver.

Oklahoma, actually ran a tight end reverse against Nebraska back in the hey day. It went for 88 yards and a touchdown. The tight end's name was Keith Jackson, an All American. I haven't seen a tight end reverse since and that was a long time ago.

McGlinchey really has me thinking. We don't really NEED him on the offensive line, but he would be a darn good left tackle. We have so much talent on that line and it just keeps coming. I'd love to see him at tight end. 6' 8'' is just so intriguing. Then, to take advantage of his arm, we could have a tight end reverse only he throws it to a deep receiver.

Oklahoma, actually ran a tight end reverse against Nebraska back in the hey day. It went for 88 yards and a touchdown. The tight end's name was Keith Jackson, an All American. I haven't seen a tight end reverse since and that was a long time ago.

[ame]

[/ame] Edited by FaithInIrishForever

I have read a couple of articles that quoted players saying that Bryant is the hardest to bring down. I haven't seen one that says that he is the best.

Bryant is a couple of pounds lighter than Folston but runs like he is 20 pounds heavier. He does not have the quick cuts or "jukes" as Folston but he runs past or through the defenders and he is fast.

I love the way Folston runs. He gets every foot that he can. And then there is Bryant. Tougher, faster, straight ahead runner and a great receiver.

If I had to pick one, it would be Bryant. But since we have both, I don`t have to pick. Bryant, Folston and McDaniel in 2014.

Watching Bryant in the AAA game last year I thought he cut a bit too much instead of just getting positive yards, but his explosiveness was off the charts.

Maybe Kelly way trying to break him of that and that's why folston played more this year. If Bryant is now focused on just getting positive yards look out. He is all muscle and I can imagine how tough he is to bring down.

Maybe Kelly way trying to break him of that and that's why folston played more this year.

Bryant injured his knee and did not play anymore to preserve a year of eligibility by leveraging a medical hardship situation. I am guessing that he could have played at something less than 100% but the depth (i.e. Folston) at RB (and perhaps Hoods' decommitment) provided an incentive to the staff to have Bryant get treatment mid-season, fully recover, and preserve a year...

Maybe with any luck Deeb could end up like a kuecly (pardon the spelling). He was a 3-star that worked very hard to get better and look where he is.

That is what I am hoping for. Deeb's work ethic has been second to none and he has the perfect body frame to be a great ILB. Luke was actually short for a ILB if I remember correctly, which is why he was not offered by ND. Deeb is the ideal size for ILB. I would love to see him become a solid player next year and eventually work his way to a dominant player.

I personally believe that Folston and Bryant will be 2x better backfield tandem than Riddick and Wood. Love TR and thought wood was going to be the next great. I really like the odds of Folston and Bryant being a legendary combo.

Bingo, remember Cadillac Williams and Ronnie Brown. Hoping we get that type of scenario.

Also just thought about Redfield. He hasn't been mentioned but heard he is being tapped as the starter going into spring camp. (When I say heard I am guessing based on a twitter post that led to a pay article in II.)

I can't believe you found this Brian!! Did you notice the guy announcing was Keith Jackson and the guy that ran the reverse was Keith Jackson? The color man was Frank Broyles of Arkansas.

Brian, things do keep coming around. I have a head full of plays that haven't been done in a long time. The first time I saw someone throw back to the quarterback was in the 1971 Bluebonnet bowl and it worked for a touchdown. It was Bear Bryant for Alabama against Barry Switzer and Oklahoma.

Oklahoma had just switched to the wishbone and Greg Pruitt was starting to make long runs on the third option of the triple option.....the pitch.

Any chance you find that play in the 1970 Bluebonnet Bowl?? One of those plays I never forgot.

Edited by OklahomaIrish

I can't believe you found this Brian!! Did you notice the guy announcing was Keith Jackson and the guy that ran the reverse was Keith Jackson? The color man was Frank Broyles of Arkansas.

Brian, things do keep coming around. I have a head full of plays that haven't been done in a long time. The first time I saw someone throw back to the quarterback was in the 1971 Bluebonnet bowl and it worked for a touchdown. It was Bear Bryant for Alabama against Barry Switzer and Oklahoma.

Oklahoma had just switched to the wishbone and Greg Pruitt was starting to make long runs on the third option of the triple option.....the pitch.

Any chance you find that play in the 1970 Bluebonnet Bowl?? One of those plays I never forgot.

Still looking the game that year tied 24-24, the Sooners would finish 7-4-1

[ame]

[/ame], man Greg Pruitt was fast..

The issue locating it is it was a down year for both Oklahoma and Alabama. Bear Bryant Would finish 70 6-5-1

the 1970 Astro-BlueBonnet bowl sounded like a fun game, but neither team's fans treasure it kinda like the 2013 pinstripe bowl..

Greg Pruitt was my size, looked him right in the eye. He had a gold tooth and I had several opportunities to talk to him. He looked like he was shot out of a cannon.

Another memory was the hardest hit I have ever seen. I think it was the 1978 game of Oklahoma against Nebraska. The kid that got pummeled was Kelly Phelps. I actually thought he might be dead. It was on a kick return. Kelly was never the same. I did get to play some softball games against him in later years. He actually was the starting quarterback for OU for a short while, but he just couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.