New NCAA ruling on early enrollees

Jersey Irish

The NCAA created a stir in the recruiting community last week when it released an interpretation issued by the academic and membership affairs staff that could shift leverage from schools to prospects, something of a revolutionary concept in recruiting.

The interpretation states that a prospect who intends to graduate from high school in the middle of an academic year and enroll early at a university may sign a financial-aid agreement on or after Aug. 1 of his senior year.

The interpretation allows high school midyear-graduating seniors to sign scholarship papers six months before the letter-of-intent signing period opens in February.

Traditionally, midyear enrollees have signed, after beginning college coursework, with the remainder of their recruiting classes in February. This ruling gives those players an opportunity to secure their scholarships before the start of their senior years.

Universities must verify that the prospect is on track to graduate at midyear before providing the agreement. Once signed, the agreement obligates the university to honor the scholarship.

LSU already has a QB signed to a financial aid agreement based on this.

Think ND will go this route?

The NCAA created a stir in the recruiting community last week when it released an interpretation issued by the academic and membership affairs staff that could shift leverage from schools to prospects, something of a revolutionary concept in recruiting.

The interpretation states that a prospect who intends to graduate from high school in the middle of an academic year and enroll early at a university may sign a financial-aid agreement on or after Aug. 1 of his senior year.

The interpretation allows high school midyear-graduating seniors to sign scholarship papers six months before the letter-of-intent signing period opens in February.

Traditionally, midyear enrollees have signed, after beginning college coursework, with the remainder of their recruiting classes in February. This ruling gives those players an opportunity to secure their scholarships before the start of their senior years.

Universities must verify that the prospect is on track to graduate at midyear before providing the agreement. Once signed, the agreement obligates the university to honor the scholarship.

LSU already has a QB signed to a financial aid agreement based on this.

Think ND will go this route?

This is really no different than ND has already done for the last decade when we started taking EE's. If they're committed as an EE to us, we've kept their spot guaranteed until they already enrolled elsewhere.

Does anyone REALLY KNOW what went on in the Vanderdoes case? I feel like it was kinda swept under the rug, or at least, I never heard. Thanks

I haven't seen a explanation yet. All I know is it just had to have been some "extreme hardship" in order to get out of the LOI or some pretty misleading info the school and staff told him(which I doubt).

Archived