Tommy Rees appreciation thread

He knows how to execute the offense. He was very advanced there when he came in. His physical skills though (running arm strength) are not as good as his mental ones.

Can he cut down on the turnovers? That is his biggest drawback I think. We do not know at this point because part of the answer to that will revolve around whether our stable of RBs show they can produce as well as Theo Wood (Cierre Riddick?). He does not have the physical skills to win the games for us. He has the execution skills that he can allow the skill players to succeed though and win games for us. Those skill players have to step forwards so that he can execute. Golson was ready to win games for us.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I will always appreciate Rees' dedication to the university and his selflessness, but this is going to be a very frustrating season. We have qb's and rb's with HUGE deficiencies, that is a recipe for disasater. Golson realy fu**ed the team.

Not that I'm a Tommy defender, but do you realize you're expecting more losses this season than he has in his career if he's our QB? He is 14-4.

Tommy also has another stat that people should remember, 14-5. That is the number of pics and lost fumbles he had.

Please do not think that his role last year is any indication of improvement. He only had one complete game and we barely escaped it. And he was up to his old tricks in that game too, can always count on Tommy to throw a pic.

While Tommy's feet are not going to get any faster - I see the game slowing down for him and him seeing things and knowing how to react. He will be better and I feel like he can get the job done.

Someone with Malik's feet and athlecism will be great but the speed of college football and the complexity of defense will take some time to get used to.

Edited by Domer Dude
Tommy also has another stat that people should remember, 14-5. That is the number of pics and lost fumbles he had.

14 picks in 18 starts over 3 years? If that's right that doesn't sound too bad.

Rees can't be all bad if he was ahead of Gunner on the depth chart.

Anyway, when Rees has trouble this year I'll be cursing out Golson not Tommy.

14 picks in 18 starts over 3 years? If that's right that doesn't sound too bad.

Rees can't be all bad if he was ahead of Gunner on the depth chart.

Anyway, when Rees has trouble this year I'll be cursing out Golson not Tommy.

No, those are only his Int's for his 1 complete season. His total is 24 over three seasons. He has thrown about a pick per game if it is averaged out.

Tommy has really saved our bacon alot. You can count on the guy for knowing the offense, alot of guts and Moxy, Leadership,

Cheers to Tommy "The Gun" Rees as Terry the Chirodomer likes to call him!

Notice the first play, Left tackle (Zack Martin?) takes the wrong assignment, leaving the DE or LB to come in untouched. Tommy still found Goodman on that play instead of taking a sack. Great play, great recognition.

I was not addressing Coach Longo about google search for increasing speed. It was meant for members of board. There is a lot of interesting information about increasing speed. Give it a try

Notice the first play, Left tackle (Zack Martin?) takes the wrong assignment, leaving the DE or LB to come in untouched. Tommy still found Goodman on that play instead of taking a sack. Great play, great recognition.

exactly, thats what tommy gives you,

a. the ball will come out on time.

b. the line will know where Tommy is, and what the blocking scheme/blitz pickup should be.

c. you will have your coach on the field

Of course you give up

a. mobility

b. arm power

c. Tommy's throwing buddies( Floyd, Eifert, Riddick, Toma Goodman are gone, still has TJ)

1 factor we overlook:

I believe the skill players that replace riddick, toma and goodman are upgrades athletically speaking. This SHOULD translate to bigger windows for a guy like Rees to throw in. Bigger windows(more open) receivers should equal less risk taking and less turnovers IF we can overcome inexperience.

I have watched that play several times and I think Tommy was throwing the ball away. JMO

hahaha and didn't have enough arm strength to get it out of bounds.

That is they I see it, that and Goodman`s height.

We have three month of Rees will start or give the Freshman a chance or Hendrix deserves a chance.

We need some good news like EV reporting or a good QB committing. It is going to be a long Summer.

Alabama won a national title with greg Mcelroy, someone I think Tommy compares to. If we have enough talent on the team anything can happen, we have enough talent to get to a bcs game regardless of the qb.

I still wonder how that dicknut got a job in the NFL backing up Sanchez

Rees baby. Just win and shove it up the naysayers asses.

Athlete's Prayer

God, let me play well but fairly.

Help me to learn something that matters

once the game is over.

Let competition make me strong but never hostile.

Always let me help my opponent up.

Never catch me rejoicing in the adversity of others.

If I know victory, allow me to be happy; if I am denied, keep me from envy.

Remind me that sports are just games.

If through athletics I set an example,

let it be a good one.

Comparing Rees to McElroy is simply WISTFUL & WISHFUL thinking---

McElroy at bama--In His bama career he threw for 39 touchdowns playing two seasons and only 10 picks---

As a senior he hit 70% for 3000 yards 20 TDs and ONLY 5 picks with a QB rating of near 170---:grin:

Tommy Rees is NOT in that league and will never back up anyone in the NFL---

Those of you expecting REES to silence the critics with his sharp brisk play leading us to win after win with touchdown after touchdown are living in DENIAL---:grin:---

The first LOUSY EFFORT by REEs and the first loss--likely the Michigan game--and the wheels will simpy come off both the offense and the fan base----

I WILL NOT ACCEPT THAT COACH WILL GO THIS ROUTE___my bet is that something will develop during the summer/fall----

aloha's---

Comparing Rees to McElroy is simply WISTFUL & WISHFUL thinking---

McElroy at bama--In His bama career he threw for 39 touchdowns playing two seasons and only 10 picks---

As a senior he hit 70% for 3000 yards 20 TDs and ONLY 5 picks with a QB rating of near 170---:grin:

Tommy Rees is NOT in that league and will never back up anyone in the NFL---

Those of you expecting REES to silence the crtics with his sharp brisk play leading us to win after win with touchdown after touchdown are living in DENIAL---:grin:---

The first LOUSY EFFORT by REEs and the first loss--likely the Michigan game--and the wheels will simpy come off both the offense and the fan base----

I WILL NOT ACCEPT THAT COACH WILL GO THIS ROUTE___my bet is that something will develop during the summer/fall----

aloha's---

IMO, assuming tommy is the same player he was 2 years ago directly contradicts the assumptions that Golson would be better this year with another year under his belt. Tommy will be better. The question is how much better. I think we will eliminate a lot of the turnovers but still suffer from a pro style offense. Unless Malik demonstrates a significant adaptation to our playbook and impresses throughout, it's gonna be tommy.

Those of you expecting REES to silence the critics with his sharp brisk play leading us to win after win with touchdown after touchdown are living in DENIAL---:grin:---

Give the man some props.

The people that booed him in game 2 last year stood on their feet applauding him when the clocked hit 0:00

Rees baby. Just win and shove it up the naysayers asses.

Athlete's Prayer

God, let me play well but fairly.

Help me to learn something that matters

once the game is over.

Let competition make me strong but never hostile.

Always let me help my opponent up.

Never catch me rejoicing in the adversity of others.

If I know victory, allow me to be happy; if I am denied, keep me from envy.

Remind me that sports are just games.

If through athletics I set an example,

let it be a good one.

Great Prayer. Thank you for sharing that.

Now do you have a prayer that will turn Tommy Reese into a good QB? lol

What we expect is an effective senior quarterback who has real game experience - who has actual wins under his belt - who knows and can execute the playbook better than any other quarterback on the roster. We expect that there will be frustrating turnovers but that he'll keep us competitive.

Tommy did not look one IOTA better in his last outing then he did in his first----if anything his arm looked fresher in 2010 then 2012----

His accuracy is no better--he has 2 Tds and 4 picks in his last four gams with a lot of playing time---his last game against PITT when Kelly tried to spark the team with Tommy he threw an ABSOLUTELY AWFUL PICK that should have cost us that game sans golsons play bringing us back in the final stanza's---that was the last time we saw tommy come in off the bench---

Tommy is going to have a lot of three & outs---he is going to throw a lot of picks---HE HAS THROWN THEM FROM HighSchool THROUGH LAST SEASON--there is no logical reason to expect some radical change from that habit in his last season of football---

Unfortunately for me--MR KOOL_AID himself---I have nothing but dread when thinking about watching the REES offense bumble & stumble through a messy 2013---

IT WILL NOT BE PRETTY---I am simply as sure about that as I can be--

Fingers crossed coach comes up with some aggressive MIX of QBs before we just resign ourselves to 8-5

aloha's

Is it possible that Tommy could run some option plays? don't laugh yet. The reason I ask is that Lou did that with Steve Beuerlein. Holtz said that Steve was the slower than then the coaches and team managers, but it help keep the defense at home. I am now reading the book Win, loses and lessons by Lou and this is where I read it.

just a thought for you all.

Great Prayer. Thank you for sharing that.

Now do you have a prayer that will turn Tommy Reese into a good QB? lol

Kind of. Smells like Tebow. Not bad except for the cannon part.

Quarterback’s Prayer

—For A Warrior of God—

Jesus

I stand before this battlefield

to which You alone have led me.

You planned this day before I was even born.

I see before me an enemy that is stronger, faster,

smarter, and better prepared for this battle than I.

I admit that I am afraid

of getting hurt or making mistakes.

I admit there is a part of me that wants to turn and

walk away—and let someone else fight my fight.

Instead, I will do the only thing that I can do—

I cry out to you alone, Jesus.

Yours is the only Name upon which I call.

Give me the strength to turn into this battle.

Give me the courage to charge boldly into this

fight despite the full knowledge of my weakness.

“For I have no power to face this vast army that is

attacking me. I do not know what to do.

But my eyes are upon you, Jesus.”

I declare to all my reliance upon you only, Jesus.

I trust in the goodness of your heart and, therefore,

the goodness of the outcome of this game because

I know you love me.

Yet still I must actually fight this fight.

I have to step onto the field of battle.

I have to play smart, run fast, stay focused, and

be the field tactician that You have made me…

You have made me a leader of men.

My mind must be alert, my feet swift, and my arm

strong…You have given me an arm like a cannon.

Jesus I need You to help me keep the eyes of my

heart focused only on You during every moment of

this great battle.

And when it is over and I walk from this field

—win or lose—

let me know that I stood back-to-back with

You alone in the fury of this great day.

Jesus, let me know that I knew only your strength.

And let it be known by all who gaze

upon this field of battle—

that the glory is yours, and yours alone.

My Lord, my Savior, my Redeemer,

and my Strength in battle—

Jesus