2014 Recruiting Prospects

Coach Alford has made comments to recruiting with his last post referencing pot of gold coming soon.

I'm REALLY surprised coaches can get away with communications like this. They are absolutely forbidden to publicly discuss recruiting, and it doesn't get more public than the interwebs/Twitter.

That said, knowing the caliber of guys Alford has landed over the years, I'm excited to find out who his pot of gold is!

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm REALLY surprised coaches can get away with communications like this. They are absolutely forbidden to publicly discuss recruiting, and it doesn't get more public than the interwebs/Twitter.

That said, knowing the caliber of guys Alford has landed over the years, I'm excited to find out who his pot of gold is!

I don't think discussing recruiting is forbidden, but discussing specific recruits by name is.

If I am wrong, please correct me.

I'm sure they all know the ins and outs of the rules, how else are they supposed to bend them?

I don't think discussing recruiting is forbidden, but discussing specific recruits by name is.

If I am wrong, please correct me.

You are correct. There is a difference between coaches saying:

1. "Score one for the Irish!"

2. "Justin Brent is a great player, glad to have him commit to the Irish!"

One of these examples is forbidden, the other is not. Coaches can only mention names once the player has signed a Letter Of Intent (LOI). That is why on signing day, the ND video people talk to the coaches and get a 4-5 min diagnosis on every player, it is the first time the coaches are allowed to mention the players individually.

Having said all that, last time "pot of gold" was mentioned, is was simply the 270 letters sent to Matt Elam. Not a new recruit giving a verbal commitment.

Edited by NDhoosier
I realize they're just his highlights but IMO he should be our top priority this cycle..

I remember the day when ND could go into Illinois and get about any recruite they wanted. cant ever remember a time when it was this hard to get the top players from Illinois really interested in ND.

I think we actually have continued to do well here. In the last few years we picked up Watt, Daniels, Fleming and now Weishar. We typically have landed the top kid or so that we've really pursued. Schutt was a kid we pulled the offer from and we pulled back on the QB from Maine South who went to Northwestern. The 2 losses I can think of were Isaac (we did what we could there but he wanted to go to SC) and Treadwell to Ole Mi$$

Jimmy Byrne from St. Francis went to UM, but we already had 5 OL studs across the board in last year's class.

Bad news on the front for super recruit John 'JuJu' Smith, his uncle Johnny Jansen who was the former RB coach at UW with Sarksian, was just hired in the same capacity at USC. This is just extra momentum for USC after the coaching hire that we did not need against us for landing Smith's services. Definitely will be an uphill battle.

What do you mean? I know its a football camp for local athletes. I should say I think its a local football camp. They train athletes for college. Its located in Chicago...?

The coaches at Core6 HATE Notre Dame -- and supposedly, for no other reason other than they want their kids to get more national exposure so that they, in turn, look good. It's also run by a bunch of Big 10 fanboys.

I don't have the time to dig up the quotes, but a lot of the premium guys -- Sapp, TJ, Wiltfong -- have had quotes on forums about how they've heard coaches at Core6 disparage ND to their bigtime kids.

If we land Sykes and Morgan, hopefully that changes. I'll try to dig up quotes later, but basically, Core6 coaches do not like ND and push their kids away from South Bend. The only one we got (IIRC) is Jaylon.

Edited by Katzenboyer

Damnit! I wanted he and Max could have been our best safety tandem in a long time and EVERY California kid would have seen them. No way we get Juju now, but you gave to put in the effort. Nyles and Elam now become our top focus and we turn to next year for a 5 star safety and corner. The depth is starting to develop, except at DT, we need to get some stars now.

I think we actually have continued to do well here. In the last few years we picked up Watt, Daniels, Fleming and now Weishar. We typically have landed the top kid or so that we've really pursued. Schutt was a kid we pulled the offer from and we pulled back on the QB from Maine South who went to Northwestern. The 2 losses I can think of were Isaac (we did what we could there but he wanted to go to SC) and Treadwell to Ole Mi$$

Jimmy Byrne from St. Francis went to UM, but we already had 5 OL studs across the board in last year's class.

Jimmy Byrnes is from Cleveland St Ignatius and a solid ND commit. We're you thinkng of someone else?

The coaches at Core6 HATE Notre Dame -- and supposedly, for no other reason other than they want their kids to get more national exposure so that they, in turn, look good. It's also run by a bunch of Big 10 fanboys.

I don't have the time to dig up the quotes, but a lot of the premium guys -- Sapp, TJ, Wiltfong -- have had quotes on forums about how they've heard coaches at Core6 disparage ND to their bigtime kids.

If we land Sykes and Morgan, hopefully that changes. I'll try to dig up quotes later, but basically, Core6 coaches do not like ND and push their kids away from South Bend. The only one we got (IIRC) is Jaylon.

Core6 is basically ButtHurt Bandwagon, not a fan but we do need to make nice with them because they're snatching up all of the talent.

Bama just got a commitment from a Juco DT. So hopefully his commitment along with Hand and Frazier push Elam to us.

I thought this too when Frazier committed but then realized in Bama's D scheme it does not matter. They play DT on the edges becasuse they play 5 technique as well. So it really doesn't matter for them. Also Elam will go where he is most comfortable and a Bama recruiting reporter indicated he didn't think Bama would take a commitment from someone if it meant losing a chance at Elam.

I think Weishar is Core6 as well.

I thought this too when Frazier committed but then realized in Bama's D scheme it does not matter. They play DT on the edges becasuse they play 5 technique as well. So it really doesn't matter for them. Also Elam will go where he is most comfortable and a Bama recruiting reporter indicated he didn't think Bama would take a commitment from someone if it meant losing a chance at Elam.

I think Weishar is Core6 as well.

I don't think Jaylon was Core6 according to their site, but McGovern was.