Happy with O-line play?

KellyisNasty

I think they are still gelling. Having EG under center changes the game vs having Tommy. If you put aside the Tommy hate, with a guy like EG your O-line can slip a bit but also has to show more athleticism when moving the pocket. I think there are some jitters that will work out. Not super happy right now, but I would rather see some shaky o-line play and 3 Ws than great o-line play and an L or 2 (or 3).

G-O-L-I-C that's how you spell leak. In all seriousness though, I really hope the guy turns things around. His family lives and breathes Notre Dame, so it is hard not to pull for him. It is just getting tough seeing him thrown around like a child game after game.

Edited by nremdn

G-O-L-I-C that's how you spell leak. In all seriousness though, I really hope the guy turns things around. His family lives and breathes Notre Dame, so it is hard not to pull for him. It is just getting tough seeing him thrown around like a child game after game.

He played great against Navy, crappy against Purdue and good against MSU. What's your point? Would assume he's grading out pretty similar to his mates.

He played great against Navy, crappy against Purdue and good against MSU. What's your point? Would assume he's grading out pretty similar to his mates.

Obviously you didn't watch him closely during the MSU game. He did not have a good game. I doubt many people would agree with you that he had a good game against MSU. My point was the only decent game he has had was against Navy, what does that tell you?

Not sure where all the criticism is coming from. The OL had a bad game against Purdue but played pretty well against MSU. I don't know why people think MSU's front is a push over. They are actually really good. And I re-watched the game and you can see that MSU had a very similar gameplan to ours, sell out on the run. So its just going to be really really tough to run against a solid defense that commits to stopping the run. And even in the fourth quarter where they knew we were going to run, we still ran the ball effectively. Golson was kept pretty clean as well.

I am pretty confident that ND will have a 200+ rushing day against UM (and most teams for the remaining schedule).

We did not run well up the middle, that was obvious to me.

We did run well outside, and the misdirection plays were successful too.

Golson had time to find receivers, and was rarely hurried although a couple times he hung on to the ball too long. He also had a nice pocket a few times, and he chose to run back out and around it, rather than stepping into it. Oftentimes, stepping up into the pocket opens up the field so the QB can see better and there are more options for either the pass or a QB run. It can also freeze the linebackers so guys underneath suddenly come open. Running out around the tackle box forces the QB farther back behind the line of scrimmage and cuts the field in half.

I am confident that both of those flaws will be corrected through experience. He will learn to anticipate his receivers, and he will learn when to step up into the pocket and when to bail.

Edited by 2lakes

Cierre is going to help the offensive line so much. He's a big strong fast senior running back.

I'd imagine beginning next week he's gonna be fend 17 to 20 times a game, and that is going to break some things up on the opposing defense and in turn help the passing game.

This is all unfolding gorgeously.

HOPEFUL.. not Happy.

When the OL dominates consistently like the DL is doing... then I'll be happy.

Right now, we have consistency issues. We don't have the high-level depth on the interior yet. So, against some teams, we don't have as full an offensive arsenal.

When EG matures more, hopefully he'll make quicker decisions that will keep the OL fresher longer..

Once Golson learns to step up into the pocket, the o-line will look much better. He keeps trying to scramble around the pressure (even when there really isn't any), which really screws his line.

They haven't been very good at run blocking through the middle the last two games, but on the whole, I'd say they've done pretty well.