yuri wright dismissed.....

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mancrush, would you like to chime in??????????

yep, if it was a public school he would not have been kicked out but since it's a private school they can do whatever they want. sad to see that he was a good enough kid to keep around until after the football season. i hope the kid lands on his feet somewhere and can get an education. i'm also glad to see some of us "christians" on here are relishing in the fact that the kid was expelled from school. was he vulgar? yes. is he a bad kid? none of us know him personally so who knows.

ps. still would love for him to marry my nonexistent daughter.

I agree that its a bit harsh to expell him from school. That being said those tweets were pretty bad. Its clear that yuri wasnt hanging around with the proper people, or they would have told him to tone it down

I dont know if i blame the coaches tho. Its Highschool, and im sure they dont have people checking on guys like ND and other college programs do. This will probably be an awakening for most highschool coaches tho to make sure this doesnt happen again

The punishment needs to fit the crime. He made some very poor choices. I ask this, does posting inappropriate comments online warrant what is basically expulsion. That expulsion not only cost him scholarship opportunities but probably a high school deploma.

This incident did not harm another person. This incident did not cause damage to property. If he was a troubled kid with many suspension and/or defered expulsion I could see his dismissal but inappropriate comments on twitter? Come on! All kids make mistakes. BK realized this with Michael Floyd.

I hope someone does the right thing here. Make the kid publicly apologize, dome community service,and a few days suspension from school with a warning about a dismissal if it happens again. Let him graduate. Let the schools recruiting him figure out if they want him to be a part of their school.

The punishment needs to fit the crime. He made some very poor choices. I ask this, does posting inappropriate comments online warrant what is basically expulsion. That expulsion not only cost him scholarship opportunities but probably a high school deploma.

This incident did not harm another person. This incident did not cause damage to property. If he was a troubled kid with many suspension and/or defered expulsion I could see his dismissal but inappropriate comments on twitter? Come on! All kids make mistakes. BK realized this with Michael Floyd.

I hope someone does the right thing here. Make the kid publicly apologize, dome community service,and a few days suspension from school with a warning about a dismissal if it happens again. Let him graduate. Let the schools recruiting him figure out if they want him to be a part of their school.

Bingo. Right on. The crazy thing is that people probably wouldnt have made that big a deal out of it if it hadnt been that article Some michigan guy wrote

yep, if it was a public school he would not have been kicked out but since it's a private school they can do whatever they want. sad to see that he was a good enough kid to keep around until after the football season. i hope the kid lands on his feet somewhere and can get an education. i'm also glad to see some of us "christians" on here are relishing in the fact that the kid was expelled from school. was he vulgar? yes. is he a bad kid? none of us know him personally so who knows.

ps. still would love for him to marry my nonexistent daughter.

Dude, you're not good enough to go out with my real daughter. ;)

A young me is not good enough.

There are certain eunuchs I might take a chance on.

I'm conflicted honestly. I admit that I don't know the kid at all nor his situation at DBP but this kid is 4 months from graduating. As far as ND goes, clearly he is currently not displaying the qualities of an ND man, but should we really throw him away because his parents are F... ups?

I don't know, it just kills me to see a kid blow a chance to be something great because he has no role model. We were all dip shit 18 year olds running around with our wang on our forehead at one time.

It's is unreal that a school would put a kid in this position...a college bound student who has come to your school to play football for four years...and is dismissed for saying something over the internet...

Now I understand if he were in college or in the pros getting a harsh punishment...but seriously how many kids are looking up to high school CB's...how many people were offended by his words....twitter works two ways just unfollow the kid if ya dont like what he says....I seriously dont think he walks around the halls sayong those things...have of them were lyrics to rap songs THAT I LISTEN TO....Im a student athlete who has over a 3.0 GPA...what makes this kid so much worse than me....TOTAL BS IMO

I hope there is something else beyond the tweets---

Personally i find it uncomfortable to see someone dismissed on the basis of tweets. No matter how vile , vulgar, misogynistic someone gets in their communication, without a victim , this does not rise to expulsion IMHO.

Its not date-rape--Its not Robbery--Its not a Felony--Its not injuring any person or property--Its not Bullying- Its not even a dangerous DUI- -its just BAD TASTE--BAD THINKING--BAD CHARACTER--thats not positive stuff but it is VICTIMLESS, LEGAL, AND DONE OUTSIDE OF SCHOOL ACTIVITIES.

Not want him on your team--fine, thats a fair judgement---but throw him out in the street as a senior over HIS TERRIBLE TWITTER MANIFESTO---just doesn't sit right with me.

aloha's

I kinda think it's BS too. We should interview him again. If he finishes his classes somewhere and shows a change in character, then keep the offer.

It's just twitter. It's just words about himself. So he swears and boasts about sex. What 17-18 year old doesn't?

As of now ND has not pulled his scholarship and decided on the situation yet

Reporters seems to like him in person and say he made a poor choice, also as said above some of the tweets are lyrics to rappers.

So he needs to grow up a little and some guidance. (I know that I was a perfect 18 yo kid...)

As of now ND has not pulled his scholarship and decided on the situation yet

Reporters seems to like him in person and say he made a poor choice, also as said above some of the tweets are lyrics to rappers.

So he needs to grow up a little and some guidance. (I know that I was a perfect 18 yo kid...)

Problem is, as Schell pointed out, he CAN'T go anywhere without a HS diploma. Does anyone know if he can finish the semester somewhere else or finish it over the summer and still be eligible in the fall?

he'll just finish at a public school and get his diploma. DBP has no need for him anymore now that football's over, so they can just get rid of him w/o any worries.

a couple of those tweets were rap lyrics, but there was def poor taste in most of them.

I wouldnt be surprised if a school, even ND still gave him a shot unless there's a backstory to something behind the scenes that got him kicked out on top of the twitter comments.

^ that is what I just started to think as well. If Notre Dame doesnt handle this right, I would hate to lose Shumate because of it. I think that is very unlikely because 1) they didnt commit together and 2) Shumate really seemed to fall in love with Notre Dame.

To be honest, I'm shocked that so many ND fans -- especially on IE, but here on DD too -- support us trying to get Wright on board after this Twitter business went public. I'm not here to judge Wright's quality as a person, but I do think that ND stands for something more than football and that recruits' values should correspond in some measure to those of the university. As it is, athletes recruited by the university receive incredible leeway in terms of grades and SATs; it's hardly too much to ask that they at least demonstrate the most basic respect for others.

Notre Dame, more than any school in the country, preaches the message of family and exemplifies the highest ideals of family life. This is part of the reason why it is infinitely more majestic to be on the campus of ND for a football Saturday than in Columbus, Ann Arbor, or any hellhole in the SEC. I met my wife at ND in 2002, we graduated from ND in 2006, and we would like our kids to go there one day. When they do, there's a lot of new things I'd like to see: field turf, a jumbotron, and a dominant team. But when it comes to the honor and values upheld by the University of Our Lady, I'm a traditionalist. And I hope that Kelly's ideal of the "Tough Gentleman" persists.

I know that many people are saying that as Catholics we preach forgiveness and that Yuri could thrive at ND. I don't discount either of those statements. But the fact of the matter is that ND is not a charity whose function it is to rehabilitate troubled youth: on the contrary, it's an exceptional place where excellent and talented people go to do great things. I find it disingenuous to act as if we're helping out troubled youth when the ulterior motive is that we want to avail ourselves of their football skills. Paradoxically, those suggesting that ND take this route for these reasons are the same who accuse Don Bosco of being disingenuous by dismissing Yuri Wright after he had contributed to the football program. But you can't have it both ways.

Let's wish Yuri Wright a bright future, full of success, but not at ND.

To be honest, I'm shocked that so many ND fans -- especially on IE, but here on DD too -- support us trying to get Wright on board after this Twitter business went public. I'm not here to judge Wright's quality as a person, but I do think that ND stands for something more than football and that recruits' values should correspond in some measure to those of the university. As it is, athletes recruited by the university receive incredible leeway in terms of grades and SATs; it's hardly too much to ask that they at least demonstrate the most basic respect for others.

Notre Dame, more than any school in the country, preaches the message of family and exemplifies the highest ideals of family life. This is part of the reason why it is infinitely more majestic to be on the campus of ND for a football Saturday than in Columbus, Ann Arbor, or any hellhole in the SEC. I met my wife at ND in 2002, we graduated from ND in 2006, and we would like our kids to go there one day. When they do, there's a lot of new things I'd like to see: field turf, a jumbotron, and a dominant team. But when it comes to the honor and values upheld by the University of Our Lady, I'm a traditionalist. And I hope that Kelly's ideal of the "Tough Gentleman" persists.

I know that many people are saying that as Catholics we preach forgiveness and that Yuri could thrive at ND. I don't discount either of those statements. But the fact of the matter is that ND is not a charity whose function it is to rehabilitate troubled youth: on the contrary, it's an exceptional place where excellent and talented people go to do great things. I find it disingenuous to act as if we're helping out troubled youth when the ulterior motive is that we want to avail ourselves of their football skills. Paradoxically, those suggesting that ND take this route for these reasons are the same who accuse Don Bosco of being disingenuous by dismissing Yuri Wright after he had contributed to the football program. But you can't have it both ways.

Its not that. Its actually quit simple.

1. If his head is not straight f#%$ him.

2. If he is a kid that made a mistake - give him a chance. He is a kid. DUH!!!!!!

This has nothing to do with religion - nothing. Don Bosco has done funny stuff in the past. I trust Kelly to make the right decision and not bow to be politically correct.

PS. I am an ND Grad. My old man is an ND Grad and football player. My uncle is a priest at ND.

PSS. Get off your high horse...

Edited by Domer Dude

I agree, that problem I have with some of the members on IE is that they keep saying "All teenage boys think like Yuri Wright does." Which is not true at all. I would rather Notre Dame take the offer away from Yuri Wright and move on, this kind of publicity is not what Notre Dame needs or wants. I like to think Notre Dame get kids who care and are respectful instead of thugs, Yuri has shown that he is not very respectful to a couple different groups of people: women and jews.

should cierre wood be dismissed from ND for saying something like "they cant stop you N....." on one of the UND icon vids?