Davonte Neal WR/DB AZ

hawaiiirish

Win or lose the recruiting battle, glad our coaches were there. Looking at this recruitment, though, I'm struggling to figure out why committed recruits are trying to find any reason to leave ND. Is it because our coaches, with the exception of Peloquin (though not even a coach), are not ND alums?

Charlie could make the sale with sincerity. Lou truly believed. Every other coach since then, however, seems to know the pitch, but doesn't quite have the heart. Ty had no heart. Davie recruited well, but he was incompetent on the field. BK is a head coach, but it doesn't matter where he is. He's going to be the same person. It seems like there is a disconnect between BK's accumen as a coach and his true belief in the school itself.

Anyway, it seems like Neal is the embodiment of our recruiting struggles... Hell, take it back to last year when the same thing went on. Fortunately, we flipped everyone back, but there is this need to commit then look for another school. I think that's because these recruits see a certain insincerity with BK, though the pitch is the same one Charlie was selling.

BK and his staff need to start believing.

Edited by irishwavend

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Win or lose the recruiting battle, glad our coaches were there. Looking at this recruitment, though, I'm struggling to figure out why recruits are trying to find any reason to leave ND. Is it because our coaches, with the exception of Peloquin (though not even a coach), are not ND alums?

Charlie could make the sale with sincerity. Lou truly believed. Every other coach since then, however, seems to know the pitch, but doesn't quite have the heart. Ty had no heart. Davie recruited well, but he was incompetent on the field. BK is a head coach, but it doesn't matter where he is. He's going to be the same person. It seems like there is a disconnect between BK's accumen as a coach and his true belief in the school itself.

Anyway, it seems like Neal is the embodiment of our recruiting struggles... Hell, take it back to last year when the same thing went on. Fortunately, we flipped everyone back, but there is this need to commit then look for another school. I think that's because these recruits see a certain insincerity with BK, though the pitch is the same one Charlie was selling.

Seriously? You really don't remember all the recruits we lost under Weis...and never got back? Come on, be realistic. Also, lets not forget that BK turned down two 4-stars in McNamara and Ekanem, as well as a 3 star WR in Andrades. Taking those guys would have surely boosted us in the top 5-10, but we didn't need them. I think some coaches might take them just to make their class look better...need them or not.

Edited by GoldenG

Charlie could recruit even during shitty seasons because I think he A)truly believes that ND is a special and even hallowed place and B)he sold recruits that he could get them to the NFL better than others could. Kelly I think is selling that he is building a powerhouse that can compete for a National Championship. Only problem was that not only did this year not pan out, but it looks like the program is not even close.

ND will always impress the parents regardless who the coach is. I mean, who doesn't want their son to go to ivy-esque private school in case football doesn't pan out? Its just the kids gotta be drinkin the same kool-aid and many of them didn't buy the pitch this year.

Win a bunch of games and win a big bowl and this all becomes moot. But another 7-8 win season and I think Kelly will have to change his tactics or be left with a mostly 3 star class next year.

Why don't we stop pretending that ND is the only good school these kids can choose from. We are fans, of course we think it is the best. These kids can go to any school they choose and have various pressures pushing them.

Just becausE a kid doesn't jump the first time they visit ND doesn't mean they won't love it down the road once they've seen other places.

I do t get why we have to admonish a kid just because he doesn't choose ND on your schedule. He is facing pressure of going to hometown U, a school near his grandma or ND. That probably isn't an easy choice. Just because he hasn't chosen ND yet that doesn't mean it still. Ant be his first choice at this time and he needs to work through some of those other pressures.

Why don't we stop pretending that ND is the only good school these kids can choose from. We are fans, of course we think it is the best. These kids can go to any school they choose and have various pressures pushing them.

Just becausE a kid doesn't jump the first time they visit ND doesn't mean they won't love it down the road once they've seen other places.

I do t get why we have to admonish a kid just because he doesn't choose ND on your schedule. He is facing pressure of going to hometown U, a school near his grandma or ND. That probably isn't an easy choice. Just because he hasn't chosen ND yet that doesn't mean it still. Ant be his first choice at this time and he needs to work through some of those other pressures.

Your right...I have seen so many people say "If he wanted to come here he would have already committed".... I just don't get that. It's not always that simple. That might like ND and another school and want to make sure they are taking everything into consideration.

I dont think anyone here is saying Notre Dame is the ONLY school. I am tired of people twisting other's words that way. Notre Dame is not the only school, but it is a well established, prestigious school that MANY other schools cannot offer. When it comes to academics and such, Notre Dame is in the top 20, that includes schools like Harvard and Yale where football players of top caliber will never go to. Stanford, Notre Dame, and Northwestern (not all, but ones I can think of off the top of my head) are football/academic schools, so it is fair to say that Notre Dame staff and ND fans have every right to brag about their academics, because most schools cannot offer the same and of those that can, most of them dont care about football.

I dont think anyone here is saying Notre Dame is the ONLY school. I am tired of people twisting other's words that way. Notre Dame is not the only school, but it is a well established, prestigious school that MANY other schools cannot offer. When it comes to academics and such, Notre Dame is in the top 20, that includes schools like Harvard and Yale where football players of top caliber will never go to. Stanford, Notre Dame, and Northwestern (not all, but ones I can think of off the top of my head) are football/academic schools, so it is fair to say that Notre Dame staff and ND fans have every right to brag about their academics, because most schools cannot offer the same and of those that can, most of them dont care about football.

Speaking of twisting words??? I didn't see where he said anything about academics or not being able to talk about it.

I think we are talking about different things. ND is a great school. That doesn't mean it is the right school for everyone. Maybe other schools are better in a kids major. Maybe other schools are closer to home. Maybe other schools offer something ND doesn't.

But since this kid doesn't jump at the first chance he gets to come to ND, suddenly he is looking for every reason not to come to ND. Maybe he just wants to make sure he is coming to ND for the right reasons.

I think we are talking about different things. ND is a great school. That doesn't mean it is the right school for everyone. Maybe other schools are better in a kids major. Maybe other schools are closer to home. Maybe other schools offer something ND doesn't.

But since this kid doesn't jump at the first chance he gets to come to ND, suddenly he is looking for every reason not to come to ND. Maybe he just wants to make sure he is coming to ND for the right reasons.

good post... what is best for me might not be best for you etc and etc.

sure nd is great academically but other schools are as well...

good luck to him wherever he choices, he is doing it the right way.

Win or lose the recruiting battle, glad our coaches were there. Looking at this recruitment, though, I'm struggling to figure out why recruits are trying to find any reason to leave ND. Is it because our coaches, with the exception of Peloquin (though not even a coach), are not ND alums?

For BK to take this job knowing it was not going to be as easy to turn around he has to believe in ND. Saban going to Bama he knew he would be able to turn that program around, first the history, 2nd its in the SEC which is the hot confernce now,third he is located in the south(easy to get the southern talent to go there) and fourth the requirements to get in are not as tough as ND and one more he can take juco transfers ie Cody helped turn that Dline around. ND has the history but is not the in a hot conference and it located in the middle of nowhere, harder to get guys accepted and cannot accept juco's. Turning ND around is going to be harder to turn around then most programs the caliber ND. If BK didnt take the ND job he would have easily been in line for another high profile job soon after. For him to commit to ND there is no doubt he believes in ND. If he fails to bring ND to the top he is going to be set back and have to do it all over again at a lesser school to get a shot at another big time program.

What exactly does the staff not believe in? What exactly is this "true belief in the school itself" that they seem to be lacking? Finally, are there particular examples of how this lack of 'true belief' has manifested itself?

Someone did an analysis that showed the top twenty recruiting classes average about a 10-12% rate of de-committments. That works out to 2-3 recruits per signing class for each school. Without thinking too hard, I know that LSU, USC, Cal, Penn St, OSU all had elite recruits de-commit and flip to different schools this past year. Does this mean that their coaching staffs also lacked 'true belief' in their respective schools?

Finally, regarding "I'm struggling to figure out why recruits are trying to find any reason to leave ND". Believe it or not, not everyone is rushing to play at a school in Indiana (hours away from home for most) that makes faith and academics a priority and that has not won a NC in 24 years. In my opinion, it is not a matter of our coaches lacking a 'true belief' in ND that causes us to lose out on recruits but a combination of many factors that are weighted differently by each recruit. There are probably also other fans out there that struggle to understand why a recruit would ever turn down their team (be it Alabama, Michigan, Stanford, USC, etc. )

Look at an Alabama fans perspective..."we have the best defensive mind in the country and a roster stacked with NFL talent and a defense that didnt even allow a score in the national championship game....why the hell would Tee Shepard go to Notre Dame its cold, their girls arent half as good as ours, our frats all throw the best partues which reach out to football players so it can be the BEST party of the night...." recruits go to different schools its just how it is...that's why the same team isnt the best every year....Kelly will find the right pieces or he will be fired it's really that simple

Look at an Alabama fans perspective..."we have the best defensive mind in the country and a roster stacked with NFL talent and a defense that didnt even allow a score in the national championship game....why the hell would Tee Shepard go to Notre Dame its cold, their girls arent half as good as ours, our frats all throw the best partues which reach out to football players so it can be the BEST party of the night...." recruits go to different schools its just how it is...that's why the same team isnt the best every year....Kelly will find the right pieces or he will be fired it's really that simple

Your analogy is way off. We're not stealing recruits from Alabama, nor is Alabama getting recruits to commit who keep looking around for something better. There is a disconnect between Kelly's message and the pitch of Notre Dame.

I only remember 4 kids flipping away from ND over the Weis and Willingham tenures. Hell, I can go way back and say that it's been an Anomoly. CJ Leak is the last one I remember before Weis lost Hunter, Trattou & Greg Little. Hell, I'll even throw in Chris Little even though he was that year's Jordan Payton.

It seems like we're having a disproportionate share of kids flipping from Kelly than under our previous coaches. Look at it and in two years Kelly's had Lynch, Prestwood, Tuitt, Greenberry, Darby, and Decker off the top of my head.

I'm sure I'm missing some from the previous staffs back to Holtz, but not on this scale. Now, transfers afterwards are a different story. That simply happens.

Even though I doubt this is what Kelly's doing, the evidence points to a "hard sell" and then "buyer's remorse." He's going to have to tweak his pitch to address this issue, because we simply haven't seen it on the scale we're seeing it now, no matter how many lame statistical articles you want to cite that don't pertain exactly to our school.

Now, it's time for the offended "kelly guys" to chime in and completely misconstrue this as me hating Kelly, which I wholeheartedly disagree. I actually think he's our best coach since Holtz. Does that mean he's Holtz? No. It just means he was better than the last three coaches we had. He just needs to make some tweaks on the recruiting trail.

What exactly does the staff not believe in? What exactly is this "true belief in the school itself" that they seem to be lacking? Finally, are there particular examples of how this lack of 'true belief' has manifested itself?

People know when somebody's lying or hasn't bought into what they're selling. It's a simple statement. It doesn't seem real hard to interpret what I'm telling you.

Someone did an analysis that showed the top twenty recruiting classes average about a 10-12% rate of de-committments. That works out to 2-3 recruits per signing class for each school. Without thinking too hard, I know that LSU, USC, Cal, Penn St, OSU all had elite recruits de-commit and flip to different schools this past year. Does this mean that their coaching staffs also lacked 'true belief' in their respective schools?

This study is BS in terms of Notre Dame, because our history hasn't been that. 6 recruits in two years have left us, some of whom came back. That's exponential compared to all of our previous staffs.

Finally, regarding "I'm struggling to figure out why recruits are trying to find any reason to leave ND". Believe it or not, not everyone is rushing to play at a school in Indiana (hours away from home for most) that makes faith and academics a priority and that has not won a NC in 24 years.

Your argument totally misses the point and is deceptive to the readers. You take my statement out of context which has to do with recruits who are committed and insert your own irrelevant generalized argument about kids who don't want to play for Notre Dame.

It's abundantly clear I'm not saying "Why don't all recruits want to play for Notre Dame." Your comprehension of my statement is flawed. I'm wondering, as all of us should be wondering, why the hell kids are committing to us, and then seemingly trying to find a way out.

This is connected to Neal who by all accounts came down to OSU and Notre Dame (Arizona eliminated). OSU pulls his schollie, and instead of picking the default choice of ND, UNC enters the picture...? Neal by all intents and purposes should be lumped in with our other commits, since without Arizona in the picture, it looks like ND had this one locked up. Now, he looks to be finding an excuse not to come to ND like our commits who look like they're trying to find a way out.

Just to conclude and be clear, however, this is about kids who commit and keeping trying to find a way out. This isn't about your average joe recruit and why he prefers another school over Notre Dame. That misses the point by a long shot.

Your analogy is way off. We're not stealing recruits from Alabama, nor is Alabama getting recruits to commit who keep looking around for something better. There is a disconnect between Kelly's message and the pitch of Notre Dame.

I only remember 4 kids flipping away from ND over the Weis and Willingham tenures. Hell, I can go way back and say that it's been an Anomoly. CJ Leak is the last one I remember before Weis lost Hunter, Trattou & Greg Little. Hell, I'll even throw in Chris Little even though he was that year's Jordan Payton.

It seems like we're having a disproportionate share of kids flipping from Kelly than under our previous coaches. Look at it and in two years Kelly's had Lynch, Prestwood, Tuitt, Greenberry, Darby, and Decker off the top of my head.

I'm sure I'm missing some from the previous staffs back to Holtz, but not on this scale. Now, transfers afterwards are a different story. That simply happens.

Even though I doubt this is what Kelly's doing, the evidence points to a "hard sell" and then "buyer's remorse." He's going to have to tweak his pitch to address this issue, because we simply haven't seen it on the scale we're seeing it now, no matter how many lame statistical articles you want to cite that don't pertain exactly to our school.

Now, it's time for the offended "kelly guys" to chime in and completely misconstrue this as me hating Kelly, which I wholeheartedly disagree. I actually think he's our best coach since Holtz. Does that mean he's Holtz? No. It just means he was better than the last three coaches we had. He just needs to make some tweaks on the recruiting trail.

Each case is a separate case -- there's no disconnect here. You mention Prestwood, Tuitt and Lynch- all are on our roster. - These kids have everyone from Sunday pulling on them. Their parents, hell sometimes you have one parent pulling one way and another another, their high school teammates, their friends, girl friends, etc.. How many of those get into ND? How many can get into any State school? So they are saying" but Johny, why go to ND when you can go to State U with the rest of us? Think of the good times we'll have-- If you got to ND you'll be alone-- you won't know anybody and you won't have any friends--

You say that we have more kids flipping now than in the past-- hey, look around it's happening all over college football-- it's the in thing right now to flip-- I think kids are committing to get a spot held-- sort of a bird in the hand-- but knowing there is nothing binding them to it other than their word-- then of course i think some coaches get a certain thrill out of getting kids to flip -- and it probably helps with recruiting to get that reputation out there-- O man if urban is after him, we're in trouble--

so there is that too -

We are seeing a disproportionate number of kids flipping everywhere-

but it has little or nothing to do with some perceived disconnect with the coach--it's just a fact of life -- and we have flipped a few ourselves--

where's Kelly's credit for that? Or is the disconnect intermittent?

Neals plan the whole time was to take all 5 visits and decide after signing day. i dont know where u read he was down to osu and nd?? osu is out now so that leaves his other 4. nothing has changed. we're still right in the mix and everything that he said he was going to do has happened. i dont get what u r saying about neal??

notre dame is a great school, no doubt.. but i would not call it a super fun place to be [in comparison to other schools].. notre dame is very strict.. plus the religious aspect could be a turn off to some recruits

i grew up a huge nd fan and wanted to go there since i was 3 years old.. when i got denied i could not imagine having to go to a different school. but now that i am at michigan i am kinda happy i wasnt accepted to nd.. i think i fit in better here.. plus ann arbor is amazing

so basically what im saying is that most likely the personalities of the football recruits dont match those of the students at notre dame, and they might fit in better elsewhere

People know when somebody's lying or hasn't bought into what they're selling. It's a simple statement. It doesn't seem real hard to interpret what I'm telling you.

How do you explain 4:00 a.m. recruiting visits or Chuck Martin giving up a head coaching position to become a position coach at his dream school or the tireless effort that most, if not all, the staff put towards recruiting if they have not bought into ND. My point is I have not seen any specific evidence from any recruits that point to a lack of sincerity from the staff regarding their 'true belief' in ND as the reason that they have either not committed to or de-comitted from the Irish.

This study is BS in terms of Notre Dame, because our history hasn't been that. 6 recruits in two years have left us, some of whom came back. That's exponential compared to all of our previous staffs.

Your argument totally misses the point and is deceptive to the readers. You take my statement out of context which has to do with recruits who are committed and insert your own irrelevant generalized argument about kids who don't want to play for Notre Dame.

It's abundantly clear I'm not saying "Why don't all recruits want to play for Notre Dame." Your comprehension of my statement is flawed. I'm wondering, as all of us should be wondering, why the hell kids are committing to us, and then seemingly trying to find a way out.

This is connected to Neal who by all accounts came down to OSU and Notre Dame (Arizona eliminated). OSU pulls his schollie, and instead of picking the default choice of ND, UNC enters the picture...? Neal by all intents and purposes should be lumped in with our other commits, since without Arizona in the picture, it looks like ND had this one locked up. Now, he looks to be finding an excuse not to come to ND like our commits who look like they're trying to find a way out.

Just to conclude and be clear, however, this is about kids who commit and keeping trying to find a way out. This isn't about your average joe recruit and why he prefers another school over Notre Dame. That misses the point by a long shot.

My response is that perhaps Kelly and his staff are recruiting more like other top 20 programs if they are now experiencing the same amount of de-commits as other programs. I also believe that we have flipped more recruits to ND than we have lost. I do not see that happening if there was an issue with either the content or delivery of the recruiting message. We have also gone three out of four on players foregoing the NFL draft as juniors. Also, transfers have been very limited for a new coach with two directly related to family issues. I would think that current players would sense more than anyone else if there was an issue with the coaching staff's 'true belief' in ND.

I also do not think that there is a common theme regarding our de-commits except that, this year, we failed to live up to our promise in terms of winning football games. Kelly's issue might have been believing and communicating that we would be a BCS team and then falling short.

I also look at Neal as unrelated to the de-commits since he never committed. ND has often come in 2nd or 3rd place for recruits (even before Kelly). In Neal's case, it may be as simple as his father (and mother?) wanting ND and Neal not wanting ND but keeping the Irish in his final list to appease his parents.

At the end of the day, we may need to agree to disagree. I do not believe that a lack of 'true belief' in ND is behind players de-committing from ND under Kelly. I also think that recruits are committing earlier than before due to the lengthening of the recruiting process, the 85 man roster limit, and the growth of recruiting-focused media including pay sites. As a result, it is completely expected that earlier commitments can lead to increased de-commitments (not just at ND but elsewhere as well). There is also much more publicity around verbals and de-commitments today than even 10 years ago so there is perhaps the perception that it is more of an issue for ND than in years past even if that is not the case.

How do you explain 4:00 a.m. recruiting visits or Chuck Martin giving up a head coaching position to become a position coach at his dream school or the tireless effort that most, if not all, the staff put towards recruiting if they have not bought into ND. My point is I have not seen any specific evidence from any recruits that point to a lack of sincerity from the staff regarding their 'true belief' in ND as the reason that they have either not committed to or de-comitted from the Irish.

My response is that perhaps Kelly and his staff are recruiting more like other top 20 programs if they are now experiencing the same amount of de-commits as other programs. I also believe that we have flipped more recruits to ND than we have lost. I do not see that happening if there was an issue with either the content or delivery of the recruiting message. We have also gone three out of four on players foregoing the NFL draft as juniors. Also, transfers have been very limited for a new coach with two directly related to family issues. I would think that current players would sense more than anyone else if there was an issue with the coaching staff's 'true belief' in ND.

I also do not think that there is a common theme regarding our de-commits except that, this year, we failed to live up to our promise in terms of winning football games. Kelly's issue might have been believing and communicating that we would be a BCS team and then falling short.

I also look at Neal as unrelated to the de-commits since he never committed. ND has often come in 2nd or 3rd place for recruits (even before Kelly). In Neal's case, it may be as simple as his father (and mother?) wanting ND and Neal not wanting ND but keeping the Irish in his final list to appease his parents.

At the end of the day, we may need to agree to disagree. I do not believe that a lack of 'true belief' in ND is behind players de-committing from ND under Kelly. I also think that recruits are committing earlier than before due to the lengthening of the recruiting process, the 85 man roster limit, and the growth of recruiting-focused media including pay sites. As a result, it is completely expected that earlier commitments can lead to increased de-commitments (not just at ND but elsewhere as well). There is also much more publicity around verbals and de-commitments today than even 10 years ago so there is perhaps the perception that it is more of an issue for ND than in years past even if that is not the case.

You couldn't have laid it out better nice post...... When we start winning is when we start dominating the recruiting field... Winners want to play for winners.

Jbrown, that was a beautifully-articulated post. You stated so clearly what I was thinking -- and added quite a few things I hadn't considered. I'm not slamming on you, Wave, because this ultimately comes down to what we believe/perceive, but I lean Jbrown on this one.

Guys i have been around some of the best football players out there for the last 10 years...

i have always made it a point to talk to the best players at every camp about ND and all the benefits of going there.....

I always pretty much got the same responce,to far,to cold,to much school work,no girls,to much religion,to strict and most tell me that they know they wont win a NC there because the best players play in the SEC and ND doesnt get SEC talent....

When i tell them about being on TV every saturday they respond with, yea i see them every saturday getting spanked by better teams....

When i asked them what would it take to get them to go to ND most say, win, just start winning with what they have,play exciting football, and thats when the players will folllow...

I always hear ND fans say, well if they dont wanna come to ND f'em, well those players were telling to f'em are the reason were not winning NC's, we need to turn those players around and get them to come here... and the only way will be by winning..

When we start beating down on other teams they wont care about how far and how cold it is cause they want to win...

Again this is just what the kids tell me...

This is spot on. It's not 1988 anymore. It's all about what you can do for me now.

Guys i have been around some of the best football players out there for the last 10 years...

i have always made it a point to talk to the best players at every camp about ND and all the benefits of going there.....

I always pretty much got the same responce,to far,to cold,to much school work,no girls,to much religion,to strict and most tell me that they know they wont win a NC there because the best players play in the SEC and ND doesnt get SEC talent....

When i tell them about being on TV every saturday they respond with, yea i see them every saturday getting spanked by better teams....

When i asked them what would it take to get them to go to ND most say, win, just start winning with what they have,play exciting football, and thats when the players will folllow...

I always hear ND fans say, well if they dont wanna come to ND f'em, well those players were telling to f'em are the reason were not winning NC's, we need to turn those players around and get them to come here... and the only way will be by winning..

When we start beating down on other teams they wont care about how far and how cold it is cause they want to win...

Again this is just what the kids tell me...

Hey Wave...I'm just adding my 2 cents kids flipping at a high rate is new but NOT an anomoly...In the '70s, '80s, and early '90s kids would commit to 3-5 schools. They would tell everyone that they were coming. NOw with the recruiting websites, message boards, and tweets a recruit sneezes and all of America knows.

A major stud made his announcement in front of local media not national...

Also colleges now, with limited scholarships, put pressure on kids for early verbals to ensure their "seat". Once a kid figures out he ain't loosing a spot he goes and looks.

I'm just jumping in on this...kids have always jumped around. I believe BK will be fine...

Edited by edcubby

notre dame is a great school, no doubt.. but i would not call it a super fun place to be [in comparison to other schools].. notre dame is very strict.. plus the religious aspect could be a turn off to some recruits

i grew up a huge nd fan and wanted to go there since i was 3 years old.. when i got denied i could not imagine having to go to a different school. but now that i am at michigan i am kinda happy i wasnt accepted to nd.. i think i fit in better here.. plus ann arbor is amazing

so basically what im saying is that most likely the personalities of the football recruits dont match those of the students at notre dame, and they might fit in better elsewhere

I agree, I am not saying people should go just because of academics, I am simply saying the ND staff and ND fans have top academics that they can sell to recruits (especially their parents) and religious aspects. There are very few schools in the football world who have the religious aspect and there are few schools who can negative recruit Notre Dame when it comes to academics. That is all I am saying. Personality will always play a major role in the recruiting process though and the strict religious institution is not for everyone.