QB Recruiting Renewel?

Given the likelihood that Dayne is not a lock to return for 2012, and that our lead QB offers committed elsewhere (Kiel, Mauk)... Where do we stand in QB recruiting?

I think we definitely need to take a QB now ... But who?

Dayne likely won't be back, but I still don't think we need to take a QB this year. Golson likely won't take a snap this season, making him eligible for 4 years beginning next year. Hendrix has 3 years of eligibility after this season and Rees has 2.

I disagree entirely. ND is in the spot it is in because the "future" QB, in this case Dayne Crist, didn't pan out.

It is very easy to say things are fine, so and so, in this case Hendrix and Golson have plenty of eligibility left. Well, what if Hendrix doesn't want to be a back up anymore and transfers? What is Golson just isnt' as good as we hope he will be? What if Rees never gets better than what he is now? Then what?

Two years ago things were "fine". Clausen had one more year and 5* Crist was just waiting in the wings. Rees and Hendrix were coming in. Now look where ND is.

If the staff doesn't think that there's a QB that fits the system, I don't want them to take one just for the sake of taking one.

If Kiel shows interest, I go after him hard (and I hope they still are in his ear). If not, move on, and take one next year.

Absolutely agree. Stay on Mauk and Kiel in case they re-open the door, but otherwise punt it to next year. In addition, if we somehow grab a second-tier QB this year (don't even know any names), it could hurt our standing with 2013 studs like Alviti. Opposing coaches are always looking for a leg up on these kids.

We will NOT be recruiting a QB this cycle!

Rees & Hendrix will be competitive next spring----

Everett Golson is simply DYNAMITE waiting for someone to Lite the Fuse!

aloha's

I sure hope you are right. At this point, Hendrix has been in the system almost two years and he apparently can't even sniff the field despite the average play of Rees.

Yes, Golson could be very dynamic, he is also going to be 6' 190 pounds. That is an injury waiting to happen.

Can't worry about that Cory---dayne is a physical monster of a QB and is made of glass---everett may very well be the wirey guy that can take a lickin and keep on ticken!!

ALSO I don't think we can anywhere near right off hendrix or read too much into the fact that he can't get the nod from Kelly---

Afterall this has been an unusual and sort of ODD situation--the QB competition was set all spring & fall to be between DAYNE & TOMMY--so the fact Kelly has not been persuaded to go to a frosh , even a redshirt frosh, simply because Dayne was relieved and Tommy has been somewhat "less then stellar"---we can't read that hendrix is NOT the answer--or is LIKELY NOT that great--simply becasue of this years EVENTS!

I have no SOLID OPINION on hendrix but i am keeping a very open mind

I DO HAVE AN OPINION ON EVERETT---HE IS IMHO "THE FUTURE"--A passer witha rocket arm that likes to move and can eat you up with his legs if he wants to --but prefers to move & pass---

DAMN --he may not be your prototypical NFL prospect---but he could very well LEAD THIS TEAM TO GREAT HEIGHTS FROM 2012 thru 2015! He is near perfect for Kelly's offense.

COLOR ME AS HAVING SKY HIGH EXPECTATIONS FOR EVERETT GOLSON!

aloha's

I am with you on Golson, he could be a Tyrod Taylor type. More of a pocket passer who can beat you with his legs if needed.

That said, I still think you need a QB every class just to derail the "what ifs" we've been discussing.

Tommy has been a Godsend for what he has done, but wouldn't you love a Jr. to look to this season for a potential QB as well?

I am with you on Golson, he could be a Tyrod Taylor type. More of a pocket passer who can beat you with his legs if needed.

That said, I still think you need a QB every class just to derail the "what ifs" we've been discussing.

Tommy has been a Godsend for what he has done, but wouldn't you love a Jr. to look to this season for a potential QB as well?

You dont join the recruitment of an elite QB in October of his senior season with a depth chart of Rees/Crist/Hendrix/Golson and expect anyone to be interested. Yes there are many "what ifs" but recruits will have waaay more reservations about us than we have about our qb depth chart.

entering next year with Rees/Hendrix/Golson (assuming Crist leaves) and going after a bigtime 2013 recruit. Yes please.

I disagree entirely. ND is in the spot it is in because the "future" QB, in this case Dayne Crist, didn't pan out.

It is very easy to say things are fine, so and so, in this case Hendrix and Golson have plenty of eligibility left. Well, what if Hendrix doesn't want to be a back up anymore and transfers? What is Golson just isnt' as good as we hope he will be? What if Rees never gets better than what he is now? Then what?

Two years ago things were "fine". Clausen had one more year and 5* Crist was just waiting in the wings. Rees and Hendrix were coming in. Now look where ND is.

Excellent points. This is why I wish ND more aggressively pursued Kiel. I think it is completely embarrassing, and unacceptable from ND's recruiters, that he shunned us for Indiana.

I sure hope you are right. At this point, Hendrix has been in the system almost two years and he apparently can't even sniff the field despite the average play of Rees.

Yes, Golson could be very dynamic, he is also going to be 6' 190 pounds. That is an injury waiting to happen.

No sure how much of the offense Hendrix actually learned last year. He was the scout team guy constantly replicating the opposing QB for us. I am sure he saw some of the play book but very little if any reps.

Looks like we're not recruiting a TE either, are we?

McNamara is visiting for the USC to make sure he made the right decision. He would be the only chance of us getting a TE this year. I'd love to see Brenenman next year for us.

Edited by Big23Head
Looks like we're not recruiting a TE either, are we?

With next year's depth chart of Eifert, Welch, Koyack, and Golic, I'm fine skipping a year on TE.

This philosophy of "one QB every year" has its merits, and I have to trust BK's 20 years of recruiting, but it seems to yield mediocrity in your signees. Getting Clausen and Crist in back-to-back years was a huge exception (and didn't work out anyway), but usually an elite QB wants to know he will be The Guy for at least two years.

I wouldn't hold my breath on Kiel...although things are crazy in Bloomington these days. Rumors of the new head coach being on the hot seat because of his run-ins with the law before the team ever took the field, the blue chip running back (Darius Willis) career is over with a knee injury suffered last season and is moonlighting as a professional wrestler (http://www.lostlettermen.com/9-28-2011-darius-willis-indiana-wrestling ) and the team just lost to North Texas...

All that being said... I don't think Kiel is going to waiver...not yet.

As for the tight end spot being light... Niklas and Hounshell could always move over... Then again...we are deep at the position, so it's not like moving Niklas would be a necessity as the coaches look to be very happy with his potential at OLB

Kelly has said a couple of times that he has liked what he has seen from Hendrix and Golson in practice, but that they simply are not ready to run the offense yet.

Yeah, and neither is Reese. So the other two must REALLY be behind. My concern with Golson is that he is short. Those are some big beefcakes in front of him. Luckily he will be in the shot gun for 99% of his plays.

If we skip out on a QB this year, who are the best of the best to run the spread in next years class? Basically, who would we target?

I do not think Golsons stature as problematic for Kellys spread... Denard Robinson has not been hindered (against us).

That said, because he does not have pro QB size, he may be more prone to injury I hit.

So, I think you need to take a QB just for that possibilty.

Perhaps Nick Baratti is that 2nd tier QB prospect that Kelly has as risk mitigation for the position.

If we skip out on a QB this year, who are the best of the best to run the spread in next years class? Basically, who would we target?

Alviti is the only name that has jumped out so far. Scout says McCrary from Georgia also has an offer, but I know zilch about him.

BTW -- "renewel"? Seriously? Perhaps we could give this thread name a "renewel"? Yes I'm a fuddy duddy.

We will NOT be recruiting a QB this cycle!

Rees & Hendrix will be competitive next spring----

Everett Golson is simply DYNAMITE waiting for someone to Lite the Fuse!

aloha's

Jason Sapp disagrees with you if one of the current QBs does not come back next year for one reason or another. He is correct more often then not