This Is Not A Well-Coached Team Right Now

The difference between okay and great is solid QB play...

I was not impressed with Rees's play yesterday, but beyond Floyd we also don't have another dynamic wide receiver on this football team. Even if we had a solid QB, SEC secondaries would eat this receiving corps up. So, I think "great" is an exaggeration even if we had a solid, seasoned QB.

And this is no surprise. Lots of people on this board talked about this during the off season. We do have a good possession receiver in Eifert.

Hopefully with Daniels and Atkinson the Cavalry is coming.

We'll see if Rees can improve. He has the intangible of being able to keep his composure when the game is on the line and is an accurate QB. If he learns to read defenses better and cuts down the turnovers by making better decisions, he'll be a solid QB. If he doesn't, let's hope Kelly has somebody developing to take his place.

I was not impressed with Rees's play yesterday, but beyond Floyd we also don't have another dynamic wide receiver on this football team. Even if we had a solid QB, SEC secondaries would eat this receiving corps up. So, I think "great" is an exaggeration even if we had a solid, seasoned QB.

And this is no surprise. Lots of people on this board talked about this during the off season. We do have a good possession receiver in Eifert.

We'll see if Rees can improve. He has the intangible of being able to keep his composure when the game is on the line and is an accurate QB. If he learns to read defenses better and cuts down the turnovers by making better decisions, he'll be a solid QB. If he doesn't, let's hope Kelly has somebody developing to take his place.

Reading the D and cutting down the TOs will come with game experience. Listening to some of you, it's no surprise that people hate our fan base. Rees is a second year QB. His true freshman year, he didn't get snaps with the 1's in pre season (Kelly's words: "We had to give Dayne all the snaps last year to get him ready")

So when Dayne went down, we really had no one prepared.... because we couldn't. In came Rees as a Freshman (without any timing w/ receivers) and we won out. This year, Dayne was anointed as the starter again and proved he didn't have it between the ears. Yet again, in comes Rees and goes 2-1 as a starter. Has he tossed 6 INTs? yes. Has he lead (what should have been) 2 game winning drives? Absolutely.

Dayne doesn't have it between the ears, and Hendrix/Golson reportedly have worse ball handling. Instead of crying because our Soph. QB has tossed 6 picks, try supporting him.

He wasn't the reason for our meltdown against USF, nor was he the reason we had a defensive meltdown in the 4th Qtr against UM.

Development takes time. Instant gratification isn't typical.... There is more than 1 defensive formation.

Reading the D and cutting down the TOs will come with game experience. Listening to some of you, it's no surprise that people hate our fan base. Rees is a second year QB. His true freshman year, he didn't get snaps with the 1's in pre season (Kelly's words: "We had to give Dayne all the snaps last year to get him ready")

So when Dayne went down, we really had no one prepared.... because we couldn't. In came Rees as a Freshman (without any timing w/ receivers) and we won out. This year, Dayne was anointed as the starter again and proved he didn't have it between the ears. Yet again, in comes Rees and goes 2-1 as a starter. Has he tossed 6 INTs? yes. Has he lead (what should have been) 2 game winning drives? Absolutely.

Dayne doesn't have it between the ears, and Hendrix/Golson reportedly have worse ball handling. Instead of crying because our Soph. QB has tossed 6 picks, try supporting him.

He wasn't the reason for our meltdown against USF, nor was he the reason we had a defensive meltdown in the 4th Qtr against UM.

Development takes time. Instant gratification isn't typical.... There is more than 1 defensive formation.

Very well said.

But I wouldn't put it on our fanbase too much. Trust me, every fanbase is essentially the same.

They look at things emotionally rather than logically.

The same people that are calling for Hendrix are some of the same guys who were calling for Dayne over Jimmy back in the day.

I am absolutely thrilled about Hendrix's future, but we have to get through the present first, and right now Tommy is our best option.

You guys are absolutely right, it's totally out of line to expect a game managing QB to not throw interceptions into triple coverage and stare down receivers.

Ultimately, if Tommy wants to keep his job he needs to keep the ball because he's limited in other areas.

I agree with your assessment of our WR corp being just as much of an issue as Rees. We definitely need a more mobile QB who has the arm strength to test a defense vertically. That being said we also need receivers who can test a defense vertically. TJ Jones is a good WR, but not explosive. Riddick is explosive in tight spots, but I dont see the true top end speed from him. He is more quick and shifty than fast.

I do believe though that Davaris Daniels is going to be the best true ATHLETE we have seen play WR in some time. Kid is fast, explosive and can jump through the roof. He needs to hopefully gain a full understanding of the offense and put on another 10 lbs before next season.

GAIII if moved back to WR can definitely provide some explosiveness. Also, do not sleep on the guys who appear to be coming in with next years freshman class as it stands right now. Ferguson is vastly underrated as an athlete and is built like a college junior right now. Greenberry might not have top end speed but is 6'3, long and attacks the ball incredibly well. Chris Brown would be the fastest WR on our roster right now. The cavalry is definitely on the way. Hopefully the upperclassmen can hold down the fort until they arrive. If Golson develops physically and continues his natural progression as a QB he will challenge Rees as the starter next year. Having a QB who is actually a threat to keep it on the read option, tuck it an run if everybody is covered, or even run a little speed option or be a threat on roll outs will help alleviate the lack of a playmaking WR until somebody steps up and takes that role next year.

I dont think Brian Kelly will have trouble generating a high scoring, fast paced offense, but right now I think he is playing the hand he's been dealt.

We just went on the road, played our wost game of the year, and came out with a W. Hard to argue that we were outcoached. If that were the case, we would be 1-3, not 2-2.

I relate this to a Roy Halladay or CC Sabathia. As a pitcher you're not going to have your A game every time out, but the good ones go out there and find a way to win even when they don't.

So far we show all signs of poorly or below average coaching. I think this board will have every right to get ugly if we lose or dont beat Purdue soundly.

If we see:

Goodman returning punts for 0 yards.

Missed FG's.

Miscues/Turnovers/Offsides.

Lack of adjustments

Dropped passes

D-backs that look lost anytime the ball is in the air on a deep ball (we were so lucky they dropped it in the late 3rd quarter)

Time to call it what it is.

If we see:

Consistent ball movement

D-backs batting down passes

Minimal Penalties

No turnovers

We will actually get to see how good this team really is.

My prediction is we will stumble and fumble around and win by a close margin that will leave us extremely frustrated and lost. I hope i'm wrong but i have every reason to believe that will be the case.

I think this board will have every right to get ugly if we lose or dont beat Purdue soundly.

Lot of gray area between losing and winning soundly. Either side of the spectrum, someone will observe their right to get ugly and hopefully it makes she/he feel better. Very easy to get ugly/tough/macho/evil/rude on a message board, were you around the board after the first couple gameS? I wasn't...for that very reason.

No offense, but there are alot of arm chair coaches and qbs here that know alot yet can't quite catch the game unless they shell for a ticket or fire up the tube. There's probably good reason for that (yeah, like....can't communicate w/ other posters in nice debate but still could be responsible for almost 100 impressionable student athletes and coach a winner....)

Lot of gray area between losing and winning soundly. Either side of the spectrum, someone will observe their right to get ugly and hopefully it makes she/he feel better. Very easy to get ugly/tough/macho/evil/rude on a message board, were you around the board after the first couple gameS? I wasn't...for that very reason.

No offense, but there are alot of arm chair coaches and qbs here that know alot yet can't quite catch the game unless they shell for a ticket or fire up the tube. There's probably good reason for that (yeah, like....can't communicate w/ other posters in nice debate but still could be responsible for almost 100 impressionable student athletes and coach a winner....)

Kind of lost you on that last part but I think I agree with your overall observation that regardless of what happens someone is going to take it too far on the boards. Been on this board for years and i can typically predict what will be posted prior to even looking. I just think it gets more ugly if ....see prior thread

Yeah the boards are to be avoided after losses. It turns into a giant way for people to Vent in a major way. But after a loss maybe fewer dogs get kicked now since we have the internet, who knows.

Need to keep things in perspective. We don't want to end up like that 45 year old dude whose character got killed in Call of Duty then went across town and found and throttled the 13 year old kid who had killed him online.

Instead of crying because our Soph. QB has tossed 6 picks, try supporting him.

If writing, "If he learns to read defenses better and cuts down the turnovers by making better decisions, he'll be a solid QB" is crying, you've got an awfully thin skin.