We will never again be relevant, unless...

We are getting close to turning the lights out on ND football prominence. For a die-hard fan like me to make that admission is astounding. I was there my freshman year in ’77. I saw Willie Fry block a punt, get called for offsides, line up and block it again. I was there in ’88. I was there for numerous games at ND Stadium where the thunder was, indeed, shaken down. I have driven out of town just to watch games that were not being televised locally. I also have been there for the past 20 years watching in disgust as the shine on ND football has continued to tarnish. I have been silently hoping that ND would finally “get it right.” But, after the last two Saturday’s I have all but lost hope. I am no longer going to drink the green Kool-Aid. It is time to face some facts. We will never return to prominence (or even relevance) until we drastically change the vibe of the program. I think that needs to start with the game day experience.

We have to go back to playing football games, not “producing football game experiences”. While ND used to be the premier venue in college football – it sure is not now. There is no mystique left at ND stadium. It’s not an intimidating place to play. It used to be. But those days are long gone. Face it, games suck at ND. Don’t believe me? I wish you guys whose posts proclaim that it is still a religious experience to travel to the hallowed grounds of ND Stadium would go to most any other major college venue in America. Things have changed. Most places deliberately create an atmosphere of excitement.

Like most of you, I was a Penn State hater until my two sons decided to attend PSU. I sat through that 15 degree below zero game years ago at Beaver Stadium only to see Joel Williams drop the potential game winning pas in the endzone. I hated Penn State then, I gotta tell you, I love it now. That's because games there are unbelievable – even the meaningless ones against the Division VII opponents that the Big Ten loves to play. There is excitement. There is passion. There is a Jumbo Tron, music blaring at time outs, stirring videos, former teams and players introduced, more than a few nut-case fans that are at every game going ballistic. There is a concerted effort to get fans fired up.

Contrast that to ND. It’s the first “time out” and there is what seems like a 30 minute delay so NBC can run some more erectile dysfunction commercials. But this time is not lost of fans in the stadium. We get to direct our attention to the North end zone where the women’s national championship Scrabble team is being introduced. And we all clap like this somehow confirms the superiority of Notre Dame. Then, the hapless lads come back on the field and demonstrate a stunning inability to throw, catch or sometimes even to grasp the ball. The highlight of most games (other than Officer McCarthy) is usually the announcement that mass will be celebrated in the Basilica thirty minutes following the conclusion of the game.

Start by getting the world’s finest, largest, best resolution video board – one that puts the new Cowboy Stadium board to shame. ND deserves nothing less. Putting the word, “NOISE” on the scoreboard and making it blink on and off a few times (which is the best we can currently offer) does not quite cut in anymore. Get some music piped it. Deliberately cater to the fans during time outs. No, we do not need fans dressed up in sumo outfits wrestling, but do something to get people fired up.

Get everyone in the stadium in one color – the same color at every game. I don’t care if it is green, blue, yellow, gold – pick one and make everyone want to wear it to every game.

Get some fat cat alum’s company to donate either towels or shakers or something for every game. Give the stadium an identity.

Seriously re-train the Gestapo ushers. I was weirdly embarrassed a few years ago when scUM came to town. Two Mich students in our sections were up talking good-natured trash right before kick-off. The usher, in an obvious nip-it-in-the-bud approach ran over to the kids and made then sit down. The kids were understandably in disbelief that they were not “allowed” to stand and cheer on their team. I love how they all smile and say, “welcome to Notre Dame” upon entering the stadium. Then you get to your section and they treat you like you’re a prisoner in a Nazi war camp.

Get a “Green-Zone” student section (ala the “dog pound”) where the rowdiest student fans get to sit. Let them paint themselves, hold crazy signs, do what normal fans do. Give the stadium some freakin’ character.

Loosen the admission strings. Yes, get the RKGs, but get a few with some passion as well. Where are the Chris Zorichs? the Kory Minors? the Michael Stonebreakers? the Bob (not to be confused with Mike) Golics? When is the last time a player of ours played with a passion that lifted the entire team.

Celebrate a guy who will chew the ass off of a kid who makes a bone-head play. Don’t be “disgusted” because it’s not what ND stands for. I don’t know if Kelly is the man or not – I do know that he demands excellence and does not tolerate mediocrity. Fire Kelly? Are you kidding me? Who in the hell do you think would even take this job at this point. Remember that one game years ago when coach Joe Moore went down the line in the locker room at halftime and punched each lineman in the jaw because they were sucking? Kelly yells at a few kids and gets a public lashing? Are you kidding me?

We have become a sad caricature of what we used to be. We are like Kentucky Fried Chicken expecting people to keep coming in because they still serve the Little Bucket Parfait desserts. Times have changed. It is time to stop living on the old dreams and start making new ones.

Going to the game Saturday. Probably won’t win, but I am so excited…I heard that the 1943 men’s chess team is being honored at halftime.

I think you made a great argument and I actually agree with a lot of the things you said. It took me a long time, but I'm in-favor of a jumbotron.

However, did all that atmosphere help Penn State against Alabama? Did the lack of atmosphere make Notre Dame commit five turnovers against USF?

It did not help Penn State against Scama last Saturday but it sure seemed to help when Penn State scared the white out of us for Clausen's debut.

I went to Sugar Bowl a few years back and had to sit though LSU's total dominance of us. I made yet another walk of shame back to the hotel after the game. I then saw PSU play LSU two years ago in the slop bowl in Orlando. I went to the game not giving a hoot who wins or loses. By the time the third quarter even I was getting into the spirit of the moment. Penn State fans came to life and willed their guys to win. I just wish I could witness the same thing at ND stadium once again.

I saw Wille Fry as well my friend---and unfortunately i totally agree that sometimes over these last 15 years--ND STADIUM IS TOO MUCH LIKE THE GROTTO!

We need NOISE--We need some theatrics--We need a better entrance--We need more color---ITS SO FREAKIN OBVIOUS__ND STADIUM IS NOT ONLY BECOMING BORING__THE LACK OF THEATRICAL PUNCH TO FIRE UP THE CROWD IS COSTING US GAMES!

How about the IRISH LEGEND & HARBINGER OF DEATH--" THE BANSHEE"---So WE HAVE A BANSHEE CHEER WHEN THE OPPONENTS ARE IN AN IMPORTANT DRIVE OR IN THE REDZONE OR IN AN IMPORTANT 3rd DOWN____A BANSHEE HIGH PITCHED SHREEK, WHILE WE WAVE A SEA OF GREEN__ SOMETHING THAT MAKES YOU REALIZE YOUR NOT PLAYING AT HOME!!

ALL OF THE ABOVE WOULD BE GREAT!

BUT THE PROBLEM MUST BE DIGESTED BY THE FANS__ADMINISTRATION__COACHES__BOOSTERS___IF WE DON"T UNDERSTAND THE NEED WE CAN'T ADDRESS IT!---and yes Colin, i think the irish stadiums flavor of a neutral field has actually cost us games--we simply have no homefield advantage anymore and it sucks

aloha's go irish!

Edited by hawaiiirish
I saw Wille Fry as well my friend---and unfortunately i totally agree that sometimes over these last 15 years--ND STADIUM IS TOO MUCH LIKE THE GROTTO!

We need NOISE--We need some theatrics--We need a better entrance--We need more color---ITS SO FREAKIN OBVIOUS__ND STADIUM IS NOT ONLY BECOMING BORING__THE LACK OF THEATRICAL PUNCH TO FIRE UP THE CROWD IS COSTING US GAMES!

How about the IRISH LEGEND & HARBINGER OF DEATH--" THE BANSHEE"---So WE HAVE A BANSHEE CHEER WHEN THE OPPONENTS ARE IN AN IMPORTANT DRIVE OR IN THE REDZONE OR IN AN IMPORTANT 3rd DOWN____A BANSHEE HIGH PITCHED SHREEK, WHILE WE WAVE A SEA OF GREEN__ SOMETHING THAT MAKES YOU REALIZE YOUR NOT PLAYING AT HOME!!

ALL OF THE ABOVE WOULD BE GREAT!

BUT THE PROBLEM MUST BE DIGESTED BY THE FANS__ADMINISTRATION__COACHES__BOOSTERS___IF WE DON"T UNDERSTAND THE NEED WE CAN'T ADDRESS IT!---and yes Colin, i think the irish stadiums flavor of a neutral field has actually cost us games--we simply have no homefield advantage anymore and it sucks

aloha's go irish!

You don't need a jumbotron, you don't need better looking cheerleaders, you don't need anything more than what we have. It's simple. JUST WIN and we will have homefield advantage once again.

You don't need a jumbotron, you don't need better looking cheerleaders, you don't need anything more than what we have. It's simple. JUST WIN and we will have homefield advantage once again.

I dont think you are right about that. There are no shortage of people who would love to be in that game, cheering loud, acting the fool, and creating a home field advantage, but that's not what the ND experience has been designed to be. The OP was right on this, with the exception of the student section, from the 10 to the 10 you have a lot of old alums who are not interested (or not capable) in screaming their lungs out. This is what you get when you start demanding 10K for the chance to get those tickets.

Additionally, the OP was spot on about the ponderous pace of the game. No opponent ever gets caught up in the moment... commercials are just brutal on any momentum at ND...

When you limit your admissions to largely nerdy over-achievers, then you get nerdy successful alums who find it out of character to actually raise their voice at a game in fear of looking...how do I put this...too blue collar. I'd bet a dollar-to-a-doughnut that the screamers at ND stadium are, for the most part, subway alums, and students, of course, who haven't yet achieved the success that dictates them turning in to alums with sticks up their collective ass. Make your alums get in line with everyone else for tickets and maybe the energy of the stadium crowd will change. That's not gonna happen, of course, so the discussion on the crowd is sadly moot.

We are getting close to turning the lights out on ND football prominence. For a die-hard fan like me to make that admission is astounding. I was there my freshman year in ’77. I saw Willie Fry block a punt, get called for offsides, line up and block it again. I was there in ’88. I was there for numerous games at ND Stadium where the thunder was, indeed, shaken down. I have driven out of town just to watch games that were not being televised locally. I also have been there for the past 20 years watching in disgust as the shine on ND football has continued to tarnish. I have been silently hoping that ND would finally “get it right.” But, after the last two Saturday’s I have all but lost hope. I am no longer going to drink the green Kool-Aid. It is time to face some facts. We will never return to prominence (or even relevance) until we drastically change the vibe of the program. I think that needs to start with the game day experience.

We have to go back to playing football games, not “producing football game experiences”. While ND used to be the premier venue in college football – it sure is not now. There is no mystique left at ND stadium. It’s not an intimidating place to play. It used to be. But those days are long gone. Face it, games suck at ND. Don’t believe me? I wish you guys whose posts proclaim that it is still a religious experience to travel to the hallowed grounds of ND Stadium would go to most any other major college venue in America. Things have changed. Most places deliberately create an atmosphere of excitement.

Like most of you, I was a Penn State hater until my two sons decided to attend PSU. I sat through that 15 degree below zero game years ago at Beaver Stadium only to see Joel Williams drop the potential game winning pas in the endzone. I hated Penn State then, I gotta tell you, I love it now. That's because games there are unbelievable – even the meaningless ones against the Division VII opponents that the Big Ten loves to play. There is excitement. There is passion. There is a Jumbo Tron, music blaring at time outs, stirring videos, former teams and players introduced, more than a few nut-case fans that are at every game going ballistic. There is a concerted effort to get fans fired up.

Contrast that to ND. It’s the first “time out” and there is what seems like a 30 minute delay so NBC can run some more erectile dysfunction commercials. But this time is not lost of fans in the stadium. We get to direct our attention to the North end zone where the women’s national championship Scrabble team is being introduced. And we all clap like this somehow confirms the superiority of Notre Dame. Then, the hapless lads come back on the field and demonstrate a stunning inability to throw, catch or sometimes even to grasp the ball. The highlight of most games (other than Officer McCarthy) is usually the announcement that mass will be celebrated in the Basilica thirty minutes following the conclusion of the game.

Start by getting the world’s finest, largest, best resolution video board – one that puts the new Cowboy Stadium board to shame. ND deserves nothing less. Putting the word, “NOISE” on the scoreboard and making it blink on and off a few times (which is the best we can currently offer) does not quite cut in anymore. Get some music piped it. Deliberately cater to the fans during time outs. No, we do not need fans dressed up in sumo outfits wrestling, but do something to get people fired up.

Get everyone in the stadium in one color – the same color at every game. I don’t care if it is green, blue, yellow, gold – pick one and make everyone want to wear it to every game.

Get some fat cat alum’s company to donate either towels or shakers or something for every game. Give the stadium an identity.

Seriously re-train the Gestapo ushers. I was weirdly embarrassed a few years ago when scUM came to town. Two Mich students in our sections were up talking good-natured trash right before kick-off. The usher, in an obvious nip-it-in-the-bud approach ran over to the kids and made then sit down. The kids were understandably in disbelief that they were not “allowed” to stand and cheer on their team. I love how they all smile and say, “welcome to Notre Dame” upon entering the stadium. Then you get to your section and they treat you like you’re a prisoner in a Nazi war camp.

Get a “Green-Zone” student section (ala the “dog pound”) where the rowdiest student fans get to sit. Let them paint themselves, hold crazy signs, do what normal fans do. Give the stadium some freakin’ character.

Loosen the admission strings. Yes, get the RKGs, but get a few with some passion as well. Where are the Chris Zorichs? the Kory Minors? the Michael Stonebreakers? the Bob (not to be confused with Mike) Golics? When is the last time a player of ours played with a passion that lifted the entire team.

Celebrate a guy who will chew the ass off of a kid who makes a bone-head play. Don’t be “disgusted” because it’s not what ND stands for. I don’t know if Kelly is the man or not – I do know that he demands excellence and does not tolerate mediocrity. Fire Kelly? Are you kidding me? Who in the hell do you think would even take this job at this point. Remember that one game years ago when coach Joe Moore went down the line in the locker room at halftime and punched each lineman in the jaw because they were sucking? Kelly yells at a few kids and gets a public lashing? Are you kidding me?

We have become a sad caricature of what we used to be. We are like Kentucky Fried Chicken expecting people to keep coming in because they still serve the Little Bucket Parfait desserts. Times have changed. It is time to stop living on the old dreams and start making new ones.

Going to the game Saturday. Probably won’t win, but I am so excited…I heard that the 1943 men’s chess team is being honored at halftime.

WOW...I am standing and applauding right now! What a monster 2nd post!!!! I am behind 95% of everything in this post. I hate Michigan with a passion, but I was so moved by the camera panning over the student section in one solid yellow color waving yellow things in their hand and chanting to the music "Ohhhh, Oh Oh Oh Ohooooho!!!!" over and over. Gave me goosebumps. Penn State does the same thing to that house song "Oh Woaho Woaho.." Let's realize that ND players do feed off the atmosphere as much as opponents are intimidated by it. Atridox, you should seriously consider getting DD to sponser this post and get +1 post signatures for everyone who agrees and send it to the administration. Well done!

I am for:

More box suits on the other side to keep the sound in...lowering the part that blocks TD Jesus.

A BIG ASS jumbotron

A contract with ABC/ESPN (they have better broadcast producers)

field turf

and handing out same colored shirts, pom poms, something.

Wow, really hits the nail on the head. I've been to 90% of the home games since 2005 and aside from USC, I can't ever really remember the home crowd being a true advantage to the Irish, softest place to play in the NCAA.

Also agree with everything said, but have to say Utah last year was a pretty impressive showing by the ND faithful. Stadium was rocking almost the entire game in cold, wet miserable weather.

Also agree with everything said' date=' but have to say Utah last year was a pretty impressive showing by the ND faithful. Stadium was rocking almost the entire game in cold, wet miserable weather.[/quote']

Thank you, I forgot about that one, when Blanton returned that punt, the fans basically blew the roof off. That was such an awesome release, a ton of built up frustration, it was like the team, the fans, everyone just needed to lose their sh*t.

It's a shame you don't post more often. Great post and hope to see you here at least once a week.

I registered just to post in this thread because I have been thinking the same things for the last ten years. If you don't think the atmosphere makes a difference, ask anyone that has played at Death Valley at night (LSU is 53-5 in these games since 2000.) Most schools do everything they can to give their team an advantage, such as piping in music to get the crowd jacked up. It is often said that teams with great home field advantage, like Oregon or Virginia Tech, start out a game with a 7 spot based on the crowd alone. In the name of "tradition" Notre Dame refuses to do such things. I am so sick of tradition holding this team back. It impairs everything from recruiting to play on the field. The only tradition that matters is winning.

If you don't think the atmosphere makes a difference, ask anyone that has played at Death Valley at night (LSU is 53-5 in these games since 2000.) .

over the past few years i have had the opportunity to attend several LSU home games.

there is no comparison.

its so much more than just a "game", its an event. hip, loud, energetic music plays before each kickoff, the players wave their hands to the crowd encouraging noise, nearly everyone is intoxicated, and the place is extremely loud. even during TV timeouts there are short clips on the jumbotron keeping the crowd involved (imagine ND showing highlights of the rocket returning kickoffs)

night games help, jumbotrons help, loud noises help. after seeing the disaster of a grass surface vs USF, field turf apparently will help as well!

Edited by rocket31

There was a guy, NDRoman I believe, on NDN that did some stadium architectural changes to the stadium on a computer program. It showed him opening the north view back up to Touchdown Jesus, tastefully adding jumbotrons into the form of the stadium bowl and improvements to keep the sound in. It was very nice. I looked for the pictures but could not find them.

It just showed that it CAN be done and done well.