Watched the game again (Long)

Here's some observations:

1. We had some offensive line breakdowns on running plays at critical times. Cave in particular struggled with their defensive tackle's penetrating speed.

2. After having scored to make it 16-7, the staff stuck with their defensive scheme and rotation and got burned. Their loose corner coverage resulted in easy out patterns for first downs. Then, after USF crossed the 50, ND had Tuitt and Lynch in at DE. Holtz ran right at them and USF had a few big running gains that brought them down to the red zone.

3. In the first half, after Dayne had trouble hitting receivers in stride, ND reverted to calling throws that had the receiver standing stationary, just to complete the pass. Smart given the situation, but not ideal compared to what Rees gave them.

4. Not only does Rees deliver the ball quicker, he made more effective 2nd and 3rd reads. That being said, he made a mistake not throwing the ball to Wood before the missed field goal. He threw the ball away, which was unnecessary given how open Wood was.

5. We had more than a few plays where Calabrese, Fox and Motta were in positions to make plays, but were either out-juked or outrun by the USF player.

6. We had a perfect screen setup and Rees hit Jones in stride. Cave was in perfect position to make the block, but the USF player ran right by Cave and made the tackle. This is the kind of play that is bread and butter for Kelly's spread. Cave must make that block.

7. On the onside kick, which was executed perfectly by our kicker, Floyd was in perfect position to grab the ball. Unfortunately, he either wasn't coached, or didn't listen to the coaches who hopefully instructed him to go after the ball, instead of waiting for it.

8. The nature of our 3-4 requires the field side Olb (Shembo) to make a pursuit play when teams throw wide receiver screens, where-in a two receiver set-one blocks the cornerback while the other receiver catches and runs the ball. Shembo was late a number of times, and our safety was slow to come up, which resulted in some 7-10 yard gains.

8. We played a very deep cover 2 most of the game. This prevented long pass plays, but it doesn't allow our safeties to make many plays. I believe this is a result of our poor safety speed, and will be a problem for us when facing food passing teams who will hit receivers in the seams.

9. Nix and Johnson's conditioning looked superb. those are two big, strong and fast muchachos. KLM also played very stout, and Fleming for the most part played the spread option well, missing QB contain egregiously only one time.

10. Wood looks both faster and stronger. Let's hope we can run the ball against Michigan, which will force them to bring a safety into the box, freeing up Floyd. A key matchup will be Mike Martin vs. Cave. Martin dominated Cave too many times last year. Let's hope it doesn't happen again.

11. Overall our offensive tackles did a nice job. Rees has a better feel for staying inside the pocket than Crist. If Cave can keep Martin from penetrating and collapsing the pocket, Rees should be abl;e to stay in the pocket and pick Michigan's weak secondary apart.

12. Collinsworth was in position to prevent the big punt return they had. Unfortunately, the USF guy was too fast. We must get faster safeties, which makes holding onto the safety recruits we've got verbal commits from imperative in this years recruiting class.

13. Jones made a very impressive catch minutes after Kelly reamed him for not having his head turned to Rees on the Int. that bounced off his body. He also dropped a good pass from Dayne at the goal line in the first half. We need a third reliable receiver to go with Floyd and Eifert. Let's hope he makes some big strides this season. I have my doubts about Riddick.

Agree with just about everything you mentioned and I also noticed much of the same when re-watching the game. I also noticed on the play that Rees threw of TJ's helmet he had Wood open as his safety valve on the short side of the field if he just floated it up a little bit for him. Not sure who it was, but he would have had a WR to block him into the endzone in addition to TJ who would have naturally re-routed the defenders just by being in the way.

Bennett Jackson is an absolute monster on kick coverage, and I really hope he continues to progress and we can see him in the secondary a bit this season. That kid is FAST and definitely does not shy away from contact. Being an ex-WR you would imagine he has some ball skills too, so its just a matter of learning how to sink his hips and play pass coverage within our scheme....not necessarily an easy task to learn, but one the defensive will greatly benefit from when it happens.

We are definitely weak at the inside LB position opposite T'eo. Fox took some bad angles and was completely lost on too many plays. Carlo is a run stuff but is a liability in coverage and stuggles to flow to the ball outside the tackles, although he did do a nice job blowing up a screen.

Our offense would be lethal with a QB that posed a threat to keep the ball on the read option. I was a Dayne supporter, but firmly believe Tommy has proved he needs to be the guy taking snaps. Barring injury he could very well be our guy the rest of the season, but having that running threat would be awesome.

One of the things I did not understand Saturday was the lack of play action. We ran the ball successfull both out of the Shotgun and from under center and I thought in the first half we had a few opportunities to run play action and take some shots vertical, but we never did for some reason.

I like using Filer, Carlo, and even Ethan as lead blocks on offense. 3 fast, strong athletic dudes and as long as they understand their assignments, I think it is a nice use of personnel...prime example, on the Jonas fumble he completely missed the hole. Filer and Carlo helped push the defense out wide and he ran right into the pile. If he takes one step back inside he is one on one with a linebacker or safety a yard from the endzone...that is an ideal situation and a matchup more often than not the back is going to win. He blew that play in more ways than one.

Two really excellent posts. Great observations.

The good, the bad, the strengths the weaknesses were very well laid out.

Thing is, pretty much every coaching staff in America has the same basic evaluation of their club from Saturday.

There are no perfect teams, no teams without holes.

WHICH IS WHY YOU HAVE TO TAKE CARE OF THE BALL!!!!

That's all we had to do Saturday.

Warts and all, we win easily if we just protect the ball.

I think we will moving forward.

Did you record the game Frankus, or was it the Versus recording? Still nothing from NBC's ND Central, other than the QB's throws (doing their best to feed the QB controversy it seems).

Cant speak for Frankus but I break out the DVD recorder with HDD every ND football season.

Wow another thread with a post knocking Riddick.. I am shocked so many of Numbskulls doubt him(I guess those 32 Receptions over a 4 gm stretch didn't Happen last season my Math says that was 8 recepts a gm over that stretch before he was hurt) but Luckily Kelly doesn't and will be given every opportunity to prove some of U simpleton's wrong..MY guess he answers the bell big-time this week scoring a TD catching a handful of passes maybe a few rushes and doing much better on Punt returns.

I’m one of those numskulls. I know he had 30 some catches last year before injury but how many of those were made in traffic, across the middle in coverage, etc.? 1-3? As much as we threw the ball at the beginning of year last year I believe someone else could have had just as many or close to that many catches. Plus, didn’t ND’s winning streak coincide with his injury…just like someone else who we almost collectively on this board that has been lambasted. Sure Theo will catch many passes by years end. Some of which may include a nice “wide receiver” like catch. My feeling is that many of his catches will be screens, flairs, and wide open clear outs, etc. in which he will break big runs after the catch. So his numbers will look just fine in the end. And this is why I assume the coaches want him in there. However, Theo looks like a running back playing receiver. I think we’d be better having a receiver in the game on third downs. Just my two cents. It’s a long season and Theo has one more year after this so hopefully he proves me wrong.

I’m one of those numskulls. I know he had 30 some catches last year before injury but how many of those were made in traffic, across the middle in coverage, etc.? 1-3? As much as we threw the ball at the beginning of year last year I believe someone else could have had just as many or close to that many catches. Plus, didn’t ND’s winning streak coincide with his injury…just like someone else who we almost collectively on this board that has been lambasted. Sure Theo will catch many passes by years end. Some of which may include a nice “wide receiver” like catch. My feeling is that many of his catches will be screens, flairs, and wide open clear outs, etc. in which he will break big runs after the catch. So his numbers will look just fine in the end. And this is why I assume the coaches want him in there. However, Theo looks like a running back playing receiver. I think we’d be better having a receiver in the game on third downs. Just my two cents. It’s a long season and Theo has one more year after this so hopefully he proves me wrong.

Not true. There were some that were down the middle like the TD against MSU and quite a few others. Actually, the offense looked its best when Riddick was being effectively used. But Crist has major issues throwing down the seam to Riddick. Oh well.

I still don't know why we didn't see bubble screens to Riddick last Saturday but oh well.

Not true. There were some that were down the middle like the TD against MSU and quite a few others. Actually, the offense looked its best when Riddick was being effectively used. But Crist has major issues throwing down the seam to Riddick. Oh well.

I still don't know why we didn't see bubble screens to Riddick last Saturday but oh well.

The play where Tommy had the ball batted back in his face was going to be a bubble screen to theo.

Highlights of Theo vs. MSU - 2010.

[ame]

[/ame]

I think these highlights clearly display the high's and low's with Riddick. He drops some very catch-able balls, but when in space, he is extremely explosive and elusive. You cannot sit a guy with his skill-set. Additionally, this is only the beginning of his second season at the position, his hands will improve.

This week, we need to throw a lot more bubble screens to Theo to exploit UofM's slow DB's. I'm expecting a good turn around from T.R. this week.

Theo deserves to be criticized -- he didn't play well. But i too think he will recover. He will learn how to field punts and he will learn the cross route. Both are relatively new to him, in front of 80,000 fans. Next week will be another test. I'm sure BK and his staff will place extra emphasis on Theo. He'll do fine. It was just tough to watch!

So...

I have to submit for all the 'we did so well' but had a catastrophic set of flukes and errors and 'the defense did good'... that i think we really showed nothing. USF went vanilla in the second half, knowing that they needed only to show up and not shoot themselves in the foot. They had one drive where they needed to score and they did... this is not a good sign.

Quick ones...

Goodman on punt returns... now we all understand that from last year... we need something like that again... catch the freaking ball...

Dayne is the anti-clutch... any situational pressure and he's done... on top of not being able to hit anyone in stride or even on the move.

So...

I have to submit for all the 'we did so well' but had a catastrophic set of flukes and errors and 'the defense did good'... that i think we really showed nothing. USF went vanilla in the second half, knowing that they needed only to show up and not shoot themselves in the foot. They had one drive where they needed to score and they did... this is not a good sign.

Quick ones...

Goodman on punt returns... now we all understand that from last year... we need something like that again... catch the freaking ball...

Dayne is the anti-clutch... any situational pressure and he's done... on top of not being able to hit anyone in stride or even on the move.

I don't know their offense well enough one way or the other, however, if you are going to go vanilla for an entire second half of a game, a game where the opposing offense has already shown it can get inside the 5 whenever it wants, that is not a good coaching decision.

I don't know their offense well enough one way or the other, however, if you are going to go vanilla for an entire second half of a game, a game where the opposing offense has already shown it can get inside the 5 whenever it wants, that is not a good coaching decision.

They went to a ball control style with qb runs, hand-offs and safe passes to the flat and wide routes on the sidelines. I think it was smart to force ND to execute before you show them any more of your offense.

They went to a ball control style with qb runs, hand-offs and safe passes to the flat and wide routes on the sidelines. I think it was smart to force ND to execute before you show them any more of your offense.

While that may be true, they still did nothing for most of the first half and ND was in position to make it a one score game in the 3rd quarter. You may be right that they didn't take many chances, but I don't think they shut it down completely.

While that may be true, they still did nothing for most of the first half and ND was in position to make it a one score game in the 3rd quarter. You may be right that they didn't take many chances, but I don't think they shut it down completely.

Take a look at Frankus' Video breakdown thread, look at the time in the game... they came back to a more full offense when they wanted and had our defense. I am a bit concerned.

If our offense shows up and executes we are plenty good enough, but this game exposed a lot... as all first games do though...

Take a look at Frankus' Video breakdown thread, look at the time in the game... they came back to a more full offense when they wanted and had our defense. I am a bit concerned.

If our offense shows up and executes we are plenty good enough, but this game exposed a lot... as all first games do though...

they had ONE drive...we were playing soft coverage as well. You can't expect the defense to completely shut down a BCS team on EVERY drive and make them go 3 and out like I do on my xbox.

Sorry, but this is a great defense, and they were not going Vanilla. They didn't throw it that much because their QB isn't that accurate. Most of his throws were screens, comeback routes (our DBs were playing very soft coverage), but you never saw him really read a coverage.

Of course, we'll be giving more passing yards to the likes or Kirk Cousins, Matt Barkley, and Andrew Luck, but they know how to read coverages. Like I said earlier, you can't expect a defense to make their offesne go 3 and out on every possession or not score on every possession.

they had ONE drive...we were playing soft coverage as well. You can't expect the defense to completely shut down a BCS team on EVERY drive and make them go 3 and out like I do on my xbox.

Sorry, but this is a great defense, and they were not going Vanilla. They didn't throw it that much because their QB isn't that accurate. Most of his throws were screens, comeback routes (our DBs were playing very soft coverage), but you never saw him really read a coverage.

Of course, we'll be giving more passing yards to the likes or Kirk Cousins, Matt Barkley, and Andrew Luck, but they know how to read coverages. Like I said earlier, you can't expect a defense to make their offesne go 3 and out on every possession or not score on every possession.

Not too mention that drive got 15 yards on a personal foul and was extended on a somewhat controversial, IMHO, pass interference call.

ya know, i had forgotten to mention before when i was a little more mad at BK on sat. night but how can one not have a flashback to the davie-era with the bad clock management against USF? the two instances i'm talking about are the TO before the 2-point conversion and the delay of game penalty on i think, 3rd and 1. now, the coaching staff and QB's are both at fault here but come on. can we still be having those in year 2? fair question, i think...

ya know, i had forgotten to mention before when i was a little more mad at BK on sat. night but how can one not have a flashback to the davie-era with the bad clock management against USF? the two instances i'm talking about are the TO before the 2-point conversion and the delay of game penalty on i think, 3rd and 1. now, the coaching staff and QB's are both at fault here but come on. can we still be having those in year 2? fair question, i think...

legit point, but as you said. such minor quibbles when taken in the magnitude of the ineptitude.

i read somewhere (can't remember which site now) that Rees pulled off on the 3rd and 1 because the public announcer (mike collins) said there was going to be another weather delay so that distracted Rees as he was getting under center...can't blame him for that - stupid PA guy should have the made the statement after the play (u know, 10 seconds later)