Tommy Schutt DT IL (OSU verbal)

they told Day that he needed to commit or he might not have a spot because Schutt was going to take it...Day committed, and they told Schutt he didn't have a spot any longer...does it matter if he was going to commit in 30 min or in an hour to in 5 days? not at all but that's what he told the newspaper

also, lying to get out of a ticket is one thing, but not sure what his purpose for lying here would be...if anything, it's just an embarrasing situation for the kid because he was basically told he wasn't good enough to come to ND (for football)...not sure why he'd want to tell the whole world that besides the fact that it was simply true

I feel bad for Schutt i mean he was ready to make a decision and then BOTH of the schools he is deciding between (ND and UF) pull his offer...are you kidding me..personally i would be devistated (although the second ND offered i wouldve committed lol) but that is huge throw michigan in there as well and now 3 of his top 5 are gone...ROUGH

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This seems so strange...i know youve been following recruiting much longer than me...ive never seen a player get 2 offers pulled without injury in the same month let alone 3 in the same day...especially from 3 top tier programs and for a player whos about as close as it gets for an ideal 3-4 NG...this really is a brain buster...was it something he said?...this is VERY weird i mean i understand why we retracted the offer but why UF and UM???

And Michigan still needs a NT - in fact they need all teh defensive line talent they can take.

Something happened. But none of our business...

My best guess is the kid mis-played handling the recruiting process. If ND, UM and UF all pulled their offers, he must have somehow done / said some things that those coaches don't like.

This is unfortunate, because I've met this kid and he seems like a great kid. He ran a camp with kids and was great with them. Some of the guys I coach with know his whole family and say they are really solid.

Also, from a talent perspective, I've seen him play a dozen times and also have seen him practice / run drills. He plays DE right now in HS at 300 pounds and has really quick feet for his size. In my mind, he has better feet than a KLM or EJ right now. Keep in mind, this is not college where you need to have 295 pound DEs, and you're playing in space with much smaller kids. I am confident he could play DE in college, although his best position is probably a 4-3 DT.

He has been used as an OG, OT and FB in goal line situations as a power blocker and was pretty effective doing that, but he does not want to play OL in college.

Very strange and unfortunate for this kid, but I hope he lands where he's happy (Iowa?). But we move on...

Defensive recruiting has surely come a long way in the last few seasons.... who could have imagined turning away a highly rated D lineman a few years ago?

This certainly makes me wonder if BK has other irons in the fire for this season (outside of Jarron Jones), or if perhaps a current freshman has changed his view of the DT depth. Or something else entirely. Seriously, 28 days cannot pass soon enough.

Guest badnationirish

I feel bad for Tommy but that's how it go's some times. But I see it this

way.

Spence at DE.

Day at NT. And...

Jones at DT.

What does everyone think?

I think if he had wanted to commit last week he would have been Irish. Sometimes the schools get burnt, sometimes the players do. I think it will be Day and Jones.

AlabamaDuck

Signing your post is an interesting study in redundancy. And here I thought AlabamaDuck was just a stage name.

You know I'm just messin' witcha, right? ;) Good to have you on board.

For Michigan and Notre Dame to drop the kid in the same 30 hour period... Something makes me think he or his family said/did something wrong...

So here's a checklist of what it could be...

1. Asked / Implied other programs are offering $$$

2. Academically not cleared by NCAA clearinghouse (unlikely)

3. Run-In with the law or pictures from a party appeared online...

4. Had terrible camp(s) and is not viewed as a hard working prospect who is getting high on his headlines and can't be trusted

5. Injury history...nothing is known at this point

6. scUM and ND truly did not need him to fill their rosters and are relying on big seasons this year to land top prospects next year or develop the underclassmen on their current roster.

7. Behavior at a visit...I was always served drinks and had girls readily introduced during my lower level recruiting visits, not sure if it's the same thing at these elite programs, but I'm guessing if a kid gets wasted and starts to grope a girl at a party, he won't be too high on the coaches priority list...especially with the Seeberg case looming at ND. However again, this would have likely flushed itself out months ago rather than just the past week or so...

Again, this is just speculation...please don't put words in my mouth about what happened or say that I said that anyone did anything specific...I'm just saying, these behaviors COULD have been the case...

I would guess that for him to be dropped so suddenly it would have to be something known universally by the coaches or shared between them - and would have to be pretty bad. Not going to get 3 elite programs dropping someone from a position of need without it being something serious...just my $.02

Yes but he has better feet than KLM or EJ :insert rolling eyes icon: No wonder coaches make fun of message boards.

Funny Odd Thomas - but I've seen this kid play since he was a freshman, and I was also on the field watching him practice / run drills several times. In fact, in one case he was going against Chris Watt. He is very quick for his size, and I stand by my comment that he has better feet than KLM and EJ. KLM is a good strong DE, but he is not the quickest guy on the field. Why is that such a stretch to point out that there are other guys out there who have better feet? I didn't say he would walk onto the field and take their starting jobs.

Something happened in this case that was not related to his talent. He has / had an offer list from nearly all the Big Ten, Florida, USC and Oregon. Clearly those coaches also think he can play big time football.

I can't understand why we wouldn't take him if something hadn't happened. A kid that size with those quick quick feet----another 4 star to help our average---and if necessary let him be a dominant offensive guard. This one really stunned me as he was going to commit tomorrow (Tuesday).

Someone mentioned to me that the general feeling for UM was they had Pipkins when they pulled Tommy's offer, and Pipkins in fact committed a few days later. Speaking on UM, I just noticed they are #1 on Scout. Wow.

They'll take a hit when Magnuson flips to USC...

Someone mentioned to me that the general feeling for UM was they had Pipkins when they pulled Tommy's offer, and Pipkins in fact committed a few days later. Speaking on UM, I just noticed they are #1 on Scout. Wow.

How many times have we seen this. A new coach comes in to a big program and everybody jumps on board. He will lose numerous games his first year by instilling a new offensive scheme and the enthusiasm will wane. Let's do our part and thump them this year.

Hoke and Mattison are known as recruiters. In fact, Hoke was recruiting coordinator as an Assistant at Michigan, I believe. A lot of justifiable hoopla at getting the second best coach in the country.

And so it will be very, very satisfying when we whup their asses. Excuse the French.

Only because they have 22 commits.

We still have a higher star average.

And BTW..........F*ck Michigan!!