I posted on another thread that there is NO WAY that Tuitt will redshirt. But I am having some second thoughts. We have two proven seniors at Defensive end and Kona Schwenke has been VERY impressive. Suddenly Aaron Lynch emerges as a playmaker by coming in early. We can't forget that Hafis Williams is a proven commodity and has played some DE.

Tuitt didn't have the advantage of coming in early like Aaron Lynch. Lynch has added ten quality pounds under Long's supervision and was the surprise of the Blue/Gold game. Lynch is clearly ahead of Tuitt.

So how much time would Tuitt be able to see??? There is no doubt about it, he is a superior 5 star stud with an NFL body already. Maybe, just maybe it would be smart to redshirt him. I have always believed that you just don't redshirt 5* defensive ends because they won't stay 5 years.

SO WHAT DO WE DO?????

Nice problem to have isn't it!!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In answer to your question -- No.

With this defense playing in conjunction with what Kelly wants to do on offense it is imperative that we have at least 3-deep at each DE position. We are going to need them and they are going to play. You'll see a lot of rotation of linemen, both by down and distance and by series. We are no longer going to ask our 3 or 4 linemen to play 70+ snaps a game.

If he is as good as I think he is going to be, I would say no redshirt. If he ends up being great and leaves after 3 years to the NFL lets not miss a year we could have had. Plus lets get him some playing time next year we will need him with our schedule.

I guess Notre Dame doesn't officially redshirt, though we all know that it's available. My thought is that the only consideration that you give that possible 5th year when it comes to Freshmen is whether to play them in garbage time. That is to say, if they're good enough to get on the field, play them. I'd love to have Tuitt (and Golson) for the 2015 season, but not if it means we're going to put a lesser player on the field THIS season. I don't want them to burn a year for 10 plays, but if they can help, get them in there.

Most reviews of the 2010 class named TUITT as THE MOST PHYSICALLY COLLEGE READY ATHLETE of the class--and that included AARON LYNCH!-----we need to win badly---can't afford to let talent sit on the bench!

so the answer is NO he will not redshirt

aloha's

I don't think so. Tuitt will be ready physically for some spot appearances, so redshirting only makes sense if he is physically not ready to contribute. Rather not have his first snaps be after Ethan and KLM leave campus (if KLM bolts).

I think he plays. First, the more capable bodies you have on defense, the better. Keep them coming and keep them fresh. Second, Tuitt does seem physically ready to handle some snaps. He's a big kid. Now he won't be able to just bull rush, which he seems to mostly do, but he'll obviously improve technique drastically as he goes on. Third, I believe the more freshman you can play, the better it is for recruiting. It's nice to be able to point freshman playing to 5 star recruits that want to come in and make a difference right away. Finally, he'll be one of Kelly's recruits. I know he wants to win and win now but I don't think it hurts that he is a BK recruit either.

Why would we want to burn a year of eligibility for what would amount to mop up duty? Lynch is going to play in passing situations and will be vital to the team but Tuitt doesn't have that spring advantage...No way does Tuitt crack the 2-deep.

We burned far too many redshirts under Chuck and it's a trend I wish to see us reverse.

I don't want to burst anyone's bubble, but there isn't a high school senior in the country who has an NFL body. There is a reason freshman rarely make a big impact on the O or D Lines.

Lynch could go to the NFL right now and play!

kidding.

Tuitt probably won't redshirt, especially if he shows up at 280lbs which is what he is rumored to be at. He will most likely break the two deep and be there with Kona and Lynch, giving us 3 backup DE's who need to get experience. Yes EJ and KLM will get most of the snaps but it is vital we have these three rotating in to give them breathers so they stay fresh and dominant.

If we suffer no injuries then I believe he will sit this year out. I may be out on my own here but his high school tape didn't blow me away and I can't see him taking time from any of the incumbents and their backups.

He could of course arrive on campus and force himself into the frame but right now it's just speculation. We certainly don't need him to play which is a great barometer on where the program is heading.

Unless I am totally off, I'm pretty sure he'll walk onto campus third on the depth chart at Strongside DE behind Ethan and Hafis Williams, who is actually more of a Nose/DT, so Tuitt could even be second with Kona sliding over as needed. I would think you would rotate three guys at that spot, so he would be getting at least 10-12 snaps a game probably.

Then at WDE you have KLM, Kona and Lynch is some rotation.

You really only have 5 or 6 true DE's on the roster, so I can't see them sitting him all year just to save a year you may never get.

Are there any other DE's I am missing?

Edited by corysold
Lynch could go to the NFL right now and play!

kidding.

Tuitt probably won't redshirt, especially if he shows up at 280lbs which is what he is rumored to be at. He will most likely break the two deep and be there with Kona and Lynch, giving us 3 backup DE's who need to get experience. Yes EJ and KLM will get most of the snaps but it is vital we have these three rotating in to give them breathers so they stay fresh and dominant.

If it's just for a breather as the 3rd guy in the rotation let Heggie play...Hear me out. How many meaningful snaps is that 3rd DE gonna play? With Schwenke having added 40lbs and performing well and Aaron Lynch already having a spring to jumpstart on the playbook, positioning and technique we have two, two guys that will eat a majority of the work Kapron Lewis-Moore and Ethan Johnson don't take. The third guy is going to breath one of those two...So is Tuitt's redshirt equal to the chance that in one of his very limited, non-crucial plays on the field he is going to make an impact that will help decide a game? No way. Even if he is capable of passing Schwenke by mid-season in the two deep, you can't play him.

The 2012 recruiting cycle is going to focus on LB, RB and DB. Last year was the year of the DE, by saving his eligibility we are basically carrying over a 5star kid to be eligible for the 2015 team. This is why kids like Bruce Heggie are key. They provide you with depth. Think about Bruce Heggie for a mount, 2star kid, everyone questioned his scholly. Brian Kelly talks about recruiting RKG, wouldn't it be feasible to consider that Heggie is going to be a hard-worker and dedicated kid? He might not have the talent to play more than a handful of downs a game but I guarantee you he busts his ass every practice in thanks for having a chance to play for Notre Dame. He'll earn his scholarship by providing depth and allowing players to retain a year of eligibility where in years past it would have been burned.

I think the subs are going to be used differently than most of you are supposing. It's not like we are going to use the #2 guy exclusively-- I thnk it's going to be situational. I think on first and maybe second donw-- running downs-- we are going to see Tuitt as the second DE- as he is more of a run stuffer type. Then, on third or passing downs-- Lynch. That way these freshman only have to learn a small percentage of plays-- get them competent at a few things. These guys seem to me to be complimentary players.

Do you guys really expect a guy like Tuitt to stick around for 5 years if he redshirts his freshman year?

I fully hope that he's good enough to go pro after his 3rd season. I'd hate for one of those seasons to be a redshirt that we simply don't get to experience on the backend.

I also don't believe that these are the only effective DE's that Kelly will recruit in his tenure. The hope is that you showcase these guys a bit, and hold true to the expectation that the best players play, and that all your players are kept fresh on the line through rotation and substitution. That will continue to draw elite DE's as well over the years.

I saw clips of Tuitt at the All American bowl in San Antonio and I was blown away by his BODY. (hope Schell doesn't get on this thread as he takes everything humoristically!!!) The kid was massive and fluid. The old cliche 'man among boys' was certainly true at the All Star game. So if you haven't seen him, don't say he doesn't have an NFL body. I don't know what they feed these kids these days but this is amazing.

Even though I started this thread I didn't look at it during the last 20 posts. It seems most of you think he should NOT be redshirted. Some think he might not stay past 3 years and that he might even bolt for greener pastures if he doesn't play as a freshman.

In an ideal world. He REDSHIRTS. We really don't need him, and it would be awesome to have him in 2015. Could you imagine how dominant he would be then. But of course this is not an ideal world. He may well bolt to the NFL after 3 years. Also if we lose KLM along with Ethan Johnson after this year......he darned well better be primed, prepared and ready to go in 2012, especially since we play my former team, the Oklahoma Sooners.

When you read what 20 guys have to say on Domer Domain you can learn something. You can get a pretty good idea of what is going to happen. So I don't think he will redshirt (and don't kid yourself, we redshirt every year)-----

I can not wait until the players report for fall ball and we start hearing things about Tuitt and hopefully Ben Councell.......maybe even Cam McDaniels. How many days till the players report????

Piratey, I'm usually with you, but not on this one. I don't think there are any non-crucial plays in a game. Any play has potential. Sure, it sounds great to let Heggie play 5 or 6 plays, but then he gets blown up on one (not saying he would, but could) and it goes for 6. Suddenly that is a pretty critical play.

I think the subs are going to be used differently than most of you are supposing. It's not like we are going to use the #2 guy exclusively-- I thnk it's going to be situational. I think on first and maybe second down-- running downs-- we are going to see Tuitt as the second DE- as he is more of a run stuffer type. Then, on third or passing downs-- Lynch. That way these freshman only have to learn a small percentage of plays-- get them competent at a few things. These guys seem to me to be complimentary players.

Right, but that is why there is a strong side end and a weak side end, I don't really think Lynch and Tuitt will be playing the same position and each has different responsibilities that the players are suited for.