Floyd pleads not guilty.....

Speedster....What gives here? What benefit does he have by pleading not guilty. He looks pretty guilty with some stacked evidence against him. Why not take responsiblity and move on here?

By pleading not guilty he puts himself in a position for a plea deal later on done the road. He'll still have punishment etc that will come of this, obviously in the form of losing his license, community service, etc etc. The courts are too full nowadays to try every case out there, trials are expensive, and county attorneys will do everything in their power to help cut costs to the taxpayer for "minor" offenses. Defense attorneys know this. In the end regardless of what happened, Mr. Floyd is still allowed his day in court. That's the system.

A "friend" got a arrested for a DUI some time ago and his lawyer advised him to plead not guilty. He ended up getting it downgraded to reckless driving and didn't end up with a DUI on his record. Much better to plead not guilty and let your lawyer work his magic.

By pleading not guilty he puts himself in a position for a plea deal later on done the road. He'll still have punishment etc that will come of this, obviously in the form of losing his license, community service, etc etc. The courts are too full nowadays to try every case out there, trials are expensive, and county attorneys will do everything in their power to help cut costs to the taxpayer for "minor" offenses. Defense attorneys know this. In the end regardless of what happened, Mr. Floyd is still allowed his day in court. That's the system.

This is correct. He wants to plead down, that's all.

Dunno, guess it kind of seems disengenuous. I understand why, but it still feels a litle crappy to plead not guilty when there is little doubt that he is.

That's the game, friend. No lawyer on Earth would let him plead guilty and take a full punishment.

Suspended Notre Dame star wide receiver Michael Floyd hopes to have a plea deal in place on his misdemeanor drunken driving charge before his next court appearance in June, his attorney said Monday.

The answer is in the first paragraph of the article. You can't get a plea deal if you plead guilty at the arraignment, you just get nailed to the wall in reward for not being "disengenuous". I'm surprised at the number of highly educated people on the different ND boards who don't understand the legal system and how it works.

To touch on what ColinKSU said that is exactly right. There is absolutely no way that he would go in there and plead guilty and get maximum sentences. I saw a kid one time plead guilty to a underage consumption with no lawyer or anything the judge just ended up giving him a harsh sentence of 90 days in jail. That's why he didn't plead guilty I'm not sure what the maximum punishment in Indiana is but I bet its something pretty outrageous.

The answer is in the first paragraph of the article. You can't get a plea deal if you plead guilty at the arraignment, you just get nailed to the wall in reward for not being "disengenuous". I'm surprised at the number of highly educated people on the different ND boards who don't understand the legal system and how it works.

I think this too but if you really haven't been an any kind of trouble or not involved in law, I could see them not understanding as much. Plus you don't ever hear much about cases like this anyways, all you hear about is murder trials and stuff like that.