Winter workouts and The escalation of college football

While I'm glad with the change Kelly has brought to the football program I hope they are playing it a bit safer than the Iowa training staff.

Twelve Iowa Player Diagnosed with Rhabdomyolysis

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6058427

I wish the Iowa players well and hope they have a quick recovery.

How much pressure should be put on these young men?

At what point are college football players no longer amateurs?

Has the passion of college football turned to out of control fanaticism? If so, can we go back?

What are your thoughts?

Rhabdo is really, really, REALLY serious. It amazes me that this happened, as it's EXTREMELY difficult (and painful) to have occur.

It takes a combination of things to cause it to happen -- poor diet, long layoff between training, etc. -- and I'm sure more details will come out. But this is a serious, serious thing.

from what i understand two of the main cause are intaking excess creatine...or also using cocaine...

lets hope for iowa its the former.

No...the main cause of rhabdo is usually caused by excess exercise. That's the most common cause.

I highly doubt that this had anything to do with outside substances.

No...the main cause of rhabdo is usually caused by excess exercise. That's the most common cause.

I highly doubt that this had anything to do with outside substances.

possibly, but not likely. when you hear a story about a HS player or college player collapsing from exertion is it usually 12 people or is it one maybe two kids tops?

what is most likely is that some chemical was being used that caused the kidney to have this reaction in 12 different people...

Nothing in there says that the steroids/doping are what caused the rhabdo.

The more likely story is that the guy, taking roids, thought he could do more than he could and pushed it too far.

It's found most often in high-intensity workout programs designed to tax the central nervous system exceedingly -- exactly the type of regimen most often used by collegiate football programs.

Don't make a mountain out of a molehill. At first blush there's no indication that this is a result of any wrongdoing/doping by Iowa players, but by a trainer who pushed his guys too hard, too fast.

possibly, but not likely. when you hear a story about a HS player or college player collapsing from exertion is it usually 12 people or is it one maybe two kids tops?

what is most likely is that some chemical was being used that caused the kidney to have this reaction in 12 different people...

Believe me, it's much more plausible that this is an occurrence of a team being pushed too far. While rhabdo is not common, when it occurs, it usually occurs in team-wide events such as an offseason conditioning workout.

Believe me, it's much more plausible that this is an occurrence of a team being pushed too far. While rhabdo is not common, when it occurs, it usually occurs in team-wide events such as an offseason conditioning workout.

i am not doubting you bro and you might be right, but considering several people were involved and not just one or two...my first thought was a chemical substance.

i guess we will find out in time.

Rhabdo is really, really, REALLY serious. It amazes me that this happened, as it's EXTREMELY difficult (and painful) to have occur.

It takes a combination of things to cause it to happen -- poor diet, long layoff between training, etc. -- and I'm sure more details will come out. But this is a serious, serious thing.

Many things can cause this...and it doesn't take a combination of things either. I sincerely doubt that 12 big time athletes weren't drinking enough water, or working out too hard. There has to be a better explanation than that.

It happened to a buddy of mine in high school. It was the creatine that got him. He lost A LOT of muscle mass. His muscles basically ate themselves.

Rhabdo is ugly, painful stuff. You're right...you're muscles basically throw up the peace sign to your body, get digested, and then you piss them out in a thick, brownish/red mucous.

Pretty brutal.

Morning workouts are rough on your body if you do not drink water before the workout because most people dehydrate while sleeping. Reports said These guys did a ridiculous amount of weighted squats and then pushed a sled. It's the equivalent to having our basketball coach make the team run 50 up and arounds in our gym in 5 th grade. You never touched a basketball that day. Your legs were smoked too. I'm betting that if the strength coach had pre-conditioned these kids and required hydration that none of this would have happened. Creatine could have been involved but this isn't something a steroid would have done.