Oh GW Thanks so much!

scintrigue

We are finally seeing what your were fighting for!!! We should definatly as a nation, not help them out. Because they should fend for themselves!! My republicans stand up!!! Standing? No? Where are you, no deficits remember? Who cares about other people remember? I thought we were in this together? No? You sure you do not want to support the GI bill? Your sure? No, you could careless right? It does not go with corporate interest? We shouldnt help them NO! It adds to the fake deficit!! We could careless it is in us, we didnt goto war why should we care? I support the troops and I love them, but spend my tax dollars? No way!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/12/29/AR2010122904498.html?hpid=topnews

Edited by scintrigue

I'd like to see comparable stats during peacetime between the overall US unemployment rate vs people leaving the military looking for work. Is it the same or one higher than the other during peace time, and what have been the stats for other recent conflicts?

I will say in my experience I notice that in general being in the military is not going to get you a job with the training they provide, contrary to what they may advertise. The emphasis on college degrees by employers over the past few decades has outweighed the on the job training the services provide.

I've noticed even in many PD's, qualified candidates are generally more likely the degree holders over just military trained/experienced. I don't believe that's necessarily a good thing. I generally see a person leaving the military as someone who's used to discipline, well versed in military structure, used to carrying out orders, has firearms experience, and probably is much more mature in life experiences. By comparison many college students generally don't share these types of assets, which are pretty useful in a LE type profession. I know I didn't have many of them when I got out of school and hired as an officer straight away, and I did a lot of growing up that first year or two on the job.

Obviously not everyone in the military wants to go into LE. There are other professions that degree holders will probably be more successful in gaining employment. Is it a problem with businesses/employers choosing to take someone with little to no employment history like many college students vs someone who's been trained and working in the service for X amount of time? I really don't know what the answer is or should be.

I'd like to see comparable stats during peacetime between the overall US unemployment rate vs people leaving the military looking for work. Is it the same or one higher than the other during peace time, and what have been the stats for other recent conflicts?

I will say in my experience I notice that in general being in the military is not going to get you a job with the training they provide, contrary to what they may advertise. The emphasis on college degrees by employers over the past few decades has outweighed the on the job training the services provide.

I've noticed even in many PD's, qualified candidates are generally more likely the degree holders over just military trained/experienced. I don't believe that's necessarily a good thing. I generally see a person leaving the military as someone who's used to discipline, well versed in military structure, used to carrying out orders, has firearms experience, and probably is much more mature in life experiences. By comparison many college students generally don't share these types of assets, which are pretty useful in a LE type profession. I know I didn't have many of them when I got out of school and hired as an officer straight away, and I did a lot of growing up that first year or two on the job.

Obviously not everyone in the military wants to go into LE. There are other professions that degree holders will probably be more successful in gaining employment. Is it a problem with businesses/employers choosing to take someone with little to no employment history like many college students vs someone who's been trained and working in the service for X amount of time? I really don't know what the answer is or should be.

Well to be fair, in police work it is different. But remember you work for the government. Even still, they are having trouble transferring from one gov't job to another. So if an education is not the solution what is? I know this history, I have seen the houses built by private businesses to military families that went to work for the auto plants in Flint. I have seen those houses with my own eyes and matter fact sold a few. In fact, I lived in a suburb that I bought my house in that was the old exectutive suburb of the biggest plant. The fact is these people can not find jobs becuase we make nothing anymore. Service economy, leads us no where for the future.

I agree 100%! A service economy can only sustain when there is a production economy to support it! I live in Indiana. The town where I grew up is dead. The factories are shut down and rotting. The people that got let behind are rotting and collecting what's left of Medicaid, disability and unemployment. It is time to bring all US owned companies' manufacturing back home. Then we will face another issue. We will need more immigrants to actually staff these factories because I am afraid that 30-50% of our current population is unemployable. I have 8 call center spots that pay $25-40,000 per year that we can't fill because no one wants to work. I have 5 massage therapy positions that I can't fill because Indiana changed the licensing and schooling for massage therapists which has caused a shortage. I think all of the politicians need to start listening to their constituents or there will be nothing left to govern.

Oh PLEASE!

He just doesn't want to leave the New York area.

I can tell you at least 5 Police departments in my State that are hiring NOW!

Some are even giving hiring bonuses!

South Bend Police being one of them that are hiring now and yes, they place high emphasis on military experience. It helped ME get on.

Well to be fair, in police work it is different. But remember you work for the government. Even still, they are having trouble transferring from one gov't job to another. So if an education is not the solution what is? I know this history, I have seen the houses built by private businesses to military families that went to work for the auto plants in Flint. I have seen those houses with my own eyes and matter fact sold a few. In fact, I lived in a suburb that I bought my house in that was the old exectutive suburb of the biggest plant. The fact is these people can not find jobs becuase we make nothing anymore. Service economy, leads us no where for the future.

Amen to those last couple lines!

Oh PLEASE!

South Bend Police being one of them that are hiring now and yes, they place high emphasis on military experience. It helped ME get on.

+1....all my buddies find jobs when they get out of the academy, some just have to move a few miles away from their hometown.

Oh PLEASE!

Speedster, that doesn't support the agenda. Please don't cloud the rhetoric with facts.

;)

We are finally seeing what your were fighting for!!! We should definatly as a nation, not help them out. Because they should fend for themselves!! My republicans stand up!!! Standing? No? Where are you, no deficits remember? Who cares about other people remember? I thought we were in this together? No? You sure you do not want to support the GI bill? Your sure? No, you could careless right? It does not go with corporate interest? We shouldnt help them NO! It adds to the fake deficit!! We could careless it is in us, we didnt goto war why should we care? I support the troops and I love them, but spend my tax dollars? No way!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/12/29/AR2010122904498.html?hpid=topnews

C'mon! Why hasn't this guy been banned yet?!

Yes, I'm a newbie to Domer, but seriously. This guy intentionally creeps the open forum, and his only posts are political in nature. Get a damn grip. Actually, get a damn life.

C'mon! Why hasn't this guy been banned yet?!

Yes, I'm a newbie to Domer, but seriously. This guy intentionally creeps the open forum, and his only posts are political in nature. Get a damn grip. Actually, get a damn life.

As much as I would love not hearing his stuff, this is a discussion board and all views should be respected and then destroyed. It's important, though, to realize how important it is to have other perspectives, whether you agree or don't.

Scintrigue...can I offer you some advice? I assume you are attempting to persuade other readers with your posts? If so, you need to present your thoughts in a more clear and persuasive manner. For example...maybe state the issue and provide some possible solutions in clear and concise thoughts. Your post above is a simple rant. Which is fine. I rant too...but judging by the number of your political posts I have to believe that you want people to start believing your logic. So here goes:

Issue:

Veterans are not getting jobs coming out of the military. The article you provided cites a couple of examples:

(1) Janssen, a criminal justice major who wants to be a cop. With bankrupt states nationwide all gov. jobs are being slashed. Cops are being laid off so there's no cop jobs. Military service is irrelevant in this example.

(2) Artis joined the military when he was 17 and at 22 says his options are "McDonalds or Home Depot" with him finally getting a job at a deli. What does he expect...an investment banking gig? He has no college degree..he has his GED and military service. Use it to go back to school or use the dicipline, leadership, etc to prove yourself at a blue collar job and work your way up. No jobs? Again, bad economy.

(3) Louis, a successful electrician makes $20/hour with plenty of overtime. That's great for him. Sounds like he found an opportunity and took advantage. Success story.

(4) Fuertes states "My Marine experience, I wouldn't trade it for anything, the economy sucks. My friends who have no high school diploma or GED, they're stuck doing odd jobs or nothing. I look at my friends, not to brag, but I am the most successful. Now, some of them are asking me about joining." Another success story.

Answer:

The bottom line is that we have a bad economy. Unemployment is bad for both vets (10%) and nonvets (9.1%) alike...not much of a difference. And I would argue that the unemployment rate for vets is inflated because vets typically come out and obtain blue collar jobs which are in short supply...or go back to school. But their options are infinitely better having gone to the military because they learn leadership/discipline, can stay in, go back to school, other benefits, etc. So I think we are definitely helping them out. What more can we do?

Thank you vets for all your service!