Passer Stat Comparisons . . .

WilhelmD

Great article from the SBT today:

http://www.southbendtribune.com/article/20101013/SPORTS13/101019736/1021/Sports

Among the items of interest here is a QB comparison at this point in the season:

With a big assist to Notre Dame Sports information, here's how Crist's first six games as a starter stack up against some other notable Irish quarterbacks, none of whom also had the added hurdle of a new coach/system:

Dayne Crist: 137-233 (58.8 percent) for 1,600 yards, 11 TDs, 4 interceptions, 128.6 pass-efficiency rating.

Jimmy Clausen: 77-135 (57.0) for 584 yards, 1 TD, 5 ints., 88.4.

Brady Quinn: 106-228 (46.5) for 1,160 yards, 5 TDs, 10 ints., 87.7.

Ron Powlus: 68-130 (52.3) for 966 yards, 12 TDs, 6 ints., 136.0.

Joe Montana 35-88 (39.8 ) for 452 yards, 1 TD, 8 ints., 68.5

Joe Theismann 62-109 (56.9) for 913 yards, 8 TDs, 10 ints., 133.1.

I think the passer rating puts too much emphasis on the yds/completion - yds/attempt. Those numbers are sometimes a result of the system you are in.

Of course, completion percentage can also be affected by that as well, but I think the emphasis is a bit out of whack.

Completely disagree - i believe those are the best indicators of performance along with TD/Int ratio and are more important than completion percentage because I believe it negates what system you play in. You may play in a spread like Tech and throw for 5000 yards but you might just be dinking and dunking the ball (like Colt McCoy). How many you yards you get out of each throw is very important for a QB and takes into account yards and completion percentage.

These comparisons are strictly for face value. If you get down to actual years at the school, age, offensive line play, style of offense, types of throws...etc., you will note the many differences and how it's very difficult to deduce any actual real statistics that accurately reflect the players and their many differences.

I agree with DonJuan, the stats are too disjointed to make apples to apples comparisons. However, the only thing that really jumps out at me with Crist is the Int to Att ratio. It looks really good, but as a1ND says, "dinking and dunking the ball" will really help that stat.

Edited by Gonkers
English good, yes?

Completely disagree - i believe those are the best indicators of performance along with TD/Int ratio and are more important than completion percentage because I believe it negates what system you play in. You may play in a spread like Tech and throw for 5000 yards but you might just be dinking and dunking the ball (like Colt McCoy). How many you yards you get out of each throw is very important for a QB and takes into account yards and completion percentage.

But yds/attempt doesn't take into YAC which means it is somewhat dependent on the ability of your receivers. If you throw a five yard out to, say, Golden Tate, he just might take it 80 yards to the house. Throw it to say Duval Kamara and you may have second and four.