Quote from Dayne Shows Right Direction for Program

WilhelmD

In my humble opinion, this quote from the interview with Dayne demonstrates exactly how Coach Kelly has started the process of changing the mindset of our team and is instilling a tough, winning attitude . . .

"I'm sure those teams went in overlooking a Western Michigan opponent. But they do some good things on offense, they do some good things on defense. It's just like any other game.
If you don't prepare in a winning way, you're going to get beat. We are not just good enough to roll it out yet and see where the chips fall. We really have to go in and prepare and do everything that we need to do
."

I love it.

The record doesn't show it, but we are sitting on a much more solid foundation. We don't need a "signature win" to vindicate or validate us, which is nice for a change.

Its also comforting to hear Dayne echo a lot of the same things Kelly has said. Tells me he's buying in more and more over time, and isn't tuning him out for his sideline antics (which SO many people are going nutso over).

I disagree with this. I think we need to beat Utah and/or USC to show that we have a solid foundation. The college football world, most importantly recruits, would view a win over a Top 10 Utah, and/or at USC as signature wins, particularly as the media will go into it's "Commander in Chief" mode if we beat WMU, Tulsa, Navy and Army. Nobody will care about those wins. If we lose to both Utah and USC, nobody will think we have a solid foundation. They will think we beat some average teams and some louts, while losing to any team that sniffed being good. And they will be right.

The record doesn't show it, but we are sitting on a much more solid foundation. We don't need a "signature win" to vindicate or validate us, which is nice for a change.

I disagree with this. I think we need to beat Utah and/or USC to show that we have a solid foundation. The college football world, most importantly recruits, would view a win over a Top 10 Utah, and/or at USC as signature wins, particularly as the media will go into it's "Commander in Chief" mode if we beat WMU, Tulsa, Navy and Army. Nobody will care about those wins. If we lose to both Utah and USC, nobody will think we have a solid foundation. They will think we beat some average teams and some louts, while losing to any team that sniffed being good. And they will be right.

I'm with Frankus on this one. The Irish need to beat a team that they have no business beating like a Utah or USC, not only for the reasons listed above, but for the immense psychological impact that it will have on every player on the team.

I'm sure every player believes the team is headed in the right direction, but I'm equally sure they need some proof of that themselves.

Edited by phony

I guess it depends on what you mean by "need".

Does the team need to get the USC monkey off it's back? Absolutely. Its gotta happen sooner or later. Especially considering the new head coach in SC, now is the time to establish a new world order, one where ND isn't your punching bag. If you want to be a real contender next year, then yes, we need a win against a good, well coached team, that kids can go back and say, "THIS is what we are capable of." Its something that, technically we could have the lightbulb moment next year, but realistically, we need one.

But do we need a "signature win" year one to tell us, recruits, or the media whether or not Kelly is the guy we all hope he is? I don't think so. The last two regimes have taught me that year one is often a year of fools gold.

Signature wins in year 3, 4, 5... that shows me something. His guys, his system, his playbook, none of the holdovers to take credit away from Kelly. Weis and Willingham both had 10 win seasons right out of the gate, including a game or two that you could probably say, "Wow, they are BACK!", and we jumped all over their nutsacks, because they (by and large) were doing it with talent brought in by the guy before him.

Willingham goes on the road against Florida State (ranked 11th at the time) and beats them handily, on offense, defense, and special teams; ends up ranked 3rd in the country the next week... and gets smoked the next against a lesser Boston College squad. Get beat by Phillip Rivers and the gang in the Gator Bowl, we can't recruit, and the rest is history.

Charlie shows up at the Big House against a #3 ranked Michigan Squad, and puts it to 'em 17-10. 10 win season, contract extension mid-year, "We were the Bush Push away from beating SC!". Look where that got us.

For the psychological makeup the team, we pretty much need a win against one of those two teams if we want to realistically think BCS game next year. Utah is clicking on all cylinders, and USC... well, we all know the significance to that game. Confidence breeds success, and success breeds confidence. But to prove anything to anyone outside the guys in that locker room? I totally disagree.

I know Kelly talks about the pressures of the job being a 5 minute plan, and thats a great goal and all, but realistically speaking, year one there will be growing pains (1st year starter Dayne learning the offense and how to go through progressions), there will be games that slip through your fingers (ahem, Michigan), and there will be mistakes across the board (ahem, Michigan State). You let that stuff go year one, because after all, these guys are 18-22 year olds, not paid professionals.

My point of saying that it feels good to not need a signature win is the ability for these kids to just go out and play. Its great to play a game without some player saying, "We're playing for coach Weis out there, blah blah blah," where every little detail is scrutinized, and the fate of the program hangs in the balance.

All they have to worry about is getting better week to week. Playing the run better, tackling better, blocking better, winning the field position battle in special teams... those are the real building blocks to a signature win, and I'll take those things and a handful of losses year one, over a fluke win over a ranked team where we don't see fundamentally sound football.

Edited by IrishCalves

In some of the threads on here Dayne is being bashed because of his early performance as the starting QB. I think he will learn and grow into a much better player, but a great sign of this possibility is his maturity. He shows that his mental maturity is there, which I think will lead to everything else developing.

Just my take...

Edited by ND_Murphy

Dayne needs both Confidence & Experience--in these next three games he will get a huge dose of both IMO--i expect him to come out the other end--come into the final third --utah-army -usc-- a much more confident and polished QB---3 successful performances will give him just the boost he needs at this point in the season---Crist is NOT DONE IMPROVING THIS SEASON BY A LONG SHOT!--aloha's

I guess it depends on what you mean by "need".

Does the team need to get the USC monkey off it's back? Absolutely. Its gotta happen sooner or later. Especially considering the new head coach in SC, now is the time to establish a new world order, one where ND isn't your punching bag. If you want to be a real contender next year, then yes, we need a win against a good, well coached team, that kids can go back and say, "THIS is what we are capable of." Its something that, technically we could have the lightbulb moment next year, but realistically, we need one.

But do we need a "signature win" year one to tell us, recruits, or the media whether or not Kelly is the guy we all hope he is? I don't think so. The last two regimes have taught me that year one is often a year of fools gold.

Signature wins in year 3, 4, 5... that shows me something. His guys, his system, his playbook, none of the holdovers to take credit away from Kelly. Weis and Willingham both had 10 win seasons right out of the gate, including a game or two that you could probably say, "Wow, they are BACK!", and we jumped all over their nutsacks, because they (by and large) were doing it with talent brought in by the guy before him.

Willingham goes on the road against Florida State (ranked 11th at the time) and beats them handily, on offense, defense, and special teams; ends up ranked 3rd in the country the next week... and gets smoked the next against a lesser Boston College squad. Get beat by Phillip Rivers and the gang in the Gator Bowl, we can't recruit, and the rest is history.

Charlie shows up at the Big House against a #3 ranked Michigan Squad, and puts it to 'em 17-10. 10 win season, contract extension mid-year, "We were the Bush Push away from beating SC!". Look where that got us.

For the psychological makeup the team, we pretty much need a win against one of those two teams if we want to realistically think BCS game next year. Utah is clicking on all cylinders, and USC... well, we all know the significance to that game. Confidence breeds success, and success breeds confidence. But to prove anything to anyone outside the guys in that locker room? I totally disagree.

I know Kelly talks about the pressures of the job being a 5 minute plan, and thats a great goal and all, but realistically speaking, year one there will be growing pains (1st year starter Dayne learning the offense and how to go through progressions), there will be games that slip through your fingers (ahem, Michigan), and there will be mistakes across the board (ahem, Michigan State). You let that stuff go year one, because after all, these guys are 18-22 year olds, not paid professionals.

My point of saying that it feels good to not need a signature win is the ability for these kids to just go out and play. Its great to play a game without some player saying, "We're playing for coach Weis out there, blah blah blah," where every little detail is scrutinized, and the fate of the program hangs in the balance.

All they have to worry about is getting better week to week. Playing the run better, tackling better, blocking better, winning the field position battle in special teams... those are the real building blocks to a signature win, and I'll take those things and a handful of losses year one, over a fluke win over a ranked team where we don't see fundamentally sound football.

Best writeup I've seen 'round these parts.:razz:

In my humble opinion, this quote from the interview with Dayne demonstrates exactly how Coach Kelly has started the process of changing the mindset of our team and is instilling a tough, winning attitude . . .

I love it.

Is he practicing not throwing in a crappy direction to his wide-open receivers? Cause that's the only direction I want to see.

I am sure he is. Kelly doesn't seem like the type of coach who coaches throwing crappy balls to wide open receivers, but I could be wrong.

I don't think we can assume that Crist's job is safe next spring. Kelly doesn't seem like the coach who will put up with mediocrity or a lack of progress for too long.

Crist right now is the stumbling block and our season will only go as far as he can take us.