ND Medical Staff

PJacksonsDred15

Parents bitch to the media, not the athlete. Players do their dirt at parties and around campus. You think he's really dumb enough to shut the door if he decides to come back or there is a lock-out?

Ray, I know you feel pretty strongly about this one, but when the kid owns it like Kyle has, and says it was HIS decision to play through a bum hammy, there's not much if any wiggle room for your view point IMO. I SINCERELY don't think he's sitting there with a torn hamstring after just hearing his season is over going, "Man, I'm pretty flippin' furious right now at all these morons who got me hurt... but I'd better say the right thing and lie about it because there might be a lock-out..." 20 year olds aren't that media savy, mid year they're thinking about mid-terms, what party they can go to Saturday night, and the current team instead of potential NFL job ramifications, and they don't have a publicist sitting over their shoulder. I think you're grasping at straws. Kyle played at less than 100% last year under Weis, and he obviously did it here with Kelly. The kid is gritty, and pushes it to the limit - that simple.

I doubt the Rudolphs go chasing an argument through the press here. Aside from the fact that they'd be contradicting THEIR OWN SON here, and that there is no resentment here from Kyle, they, nor does their kid, seem like they have the same MO as the Clausens or the Darius Walkers of the world, who like to air out their opinions with a microphone in their face. Kelly was even talking about forcing him to sit this week and making that decision to take the choice out of Kyle's hands in the post game press conference, before they knew it was torn. Its not like they weren't aware. Both coach and player came together, and made a conscious decision to play with fire, and both got burned.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ray, I know you feel pretty strongly about this one, but when the kid owns it like Kyle has, and says it was HIS decision to play through a bum hammy, there's not much if any wiggle room for your view point IMO. I SINCERELY don't think he's sitting there with a torn hamstring after just hearing his season is over going, "Man, I'm pretty flippin' furious right now at all these morons who got me hurt... but I'd better say the right thing and lie about it because there might be a lock-out..." 20 year olds aren't that media savy, mid year they're thinking about mid-terms, what party they can go to Saturday night, and the current team instead of potential NFL job ramifications, and they don't have a publicist sitting over their shoulder. I think you're grasping at straws. Kyle played at less than 100% last year under Weis, and he obviously did it here with Kelly. The kid is gritty, and pushes it to the limit - that simple.

I doubt the Rudolphs go chasing an argument through the press here. Aside from the fact that they'd be contradicting THEIR OWN SON here, and that there is no resentment here from Kyle, they, nor does their kid, seem like they have the same MO as the Clausens or the Darius Walkers of the world, who like to air out their opinions with a microphone in their face. Kelly was even talking about forcing him to sit this week and making that decision to take the choice out of Kyle's hands in the post game press conference, before they knew it was torn. Its not like they weren't aware. Both coach and player came together, and made a conscious decision to play with fire, and both got burned.

I'm very close to this discussion. Believe me, the bitterness doesn't settle in till you start missing dates that the medical staff says you should be at or near after your procedure.

I kept my mouth shut during the whole process, but I wish more athletes would pressure the staff into keeping hurt individuals on the bench where they belong without fear of losing their jobs. This staff is very hostile toward injured players IMO. People disappear into the depth chart when they break the man code.

In reality, these kids should be able to tell the truth to the trainers when they cant go. It all starts at the top IMO.

I hear you Ray... and Calves... it's a fine line between being tough, and being stupid, in reporting your comfort and strength level.

We won't know publicly how things work out for awhile.

That said, I think the ND staff is generally conservative on how fast these players can come back (eg. Crist knee)... and that's their job, to manage expectations for recovery.

What's been said suggests that Rudy & Coaching staff thought the hammy was less severe than it was... but the medical staff, IMO, should have been regularly checking more rigorously, especially when it seemed more aggravated 2 games ago.

IMO...

What sparked this comment?

After the draft process, Darius's father started talking about some of his bitter feelings towards Weis and the gang - and in other cases, refused to comment to avoid some ugly quotables. Some of it stemmed from Weis expressing disappointment in his son's decision to leave early, and some of it I think indirectly indicted Weis for not giving his son a better review when scouts would call and ask him what he thought of Darius as he ended up going undrafted.

Good points, Ray. I can agree with you that the macho, bravado, machismo mentality in football is pretty foolish and costly. We can all sit here and tout "physical and mental toughness" 'til the cows come home, but injuries like this are a part of the price you pay. Some of that responsibility does fall on the players speaking up, but you are right in that the environment created often dictates how much of the truth of an injury comes out. Its a problem when the trainers or doctors aren't getting the whole picture.

If this staff did not give a hoot, then why didn't they throw Crist back in the game in the 2nd Qtr of the UM game when things were going south?? Dayne sure looked fine to me, but they held him out.

Folks must remember that this is major college football. This is not your pop warner team where Johnny is more interested in whether he gets ice cream after the game than winning.

I remember Bettis playing with a huge wrap on his leg during the Holtz days when he had a hammy. Rudy is not the first or the last guy in college footabll playing with a bad hamstring. In fact, look around this Saturday and you will see a guy in almost every game playing with a similar issue.

Let's all move on and wish Kyle well. Rudy has been a beast for us and we must thank him for his effort.

BY THE WAY, has anyone considered what bitching you would hear if Rudy had sat the entire game at Pitt and we lose because Ragone happens to drop a few key passes??? Then what screaming would we be doing?? ND fans sometimes are a bit unrealistic.

As for Ray Herring, it is obvious that you had a sour experience that has left a scar on your attitude toward the staff. A person being a former player like yourself should totally realize how major college football operates. Players play hurt every Saturday. This is especially true in today's WIN NOW society.

If this staff did not give a hoot, then why didn't they throw Crist back in the game in the 2nd Qtr of the UM game when things were going south?? Dayne sure looked fine to me, but they held him out.

Folks must remember that this is major college football. This is not your pop warner team where Johnny is more interested in whether he gets ice cream after the game than winning.

I remember Bettis playing with a huge wrap on his leg during the Holtz days when he had a hammy. Rudy is not the first or the last guy in college footabll playing with a bad hamstring. In fact, look around this Saturday and you will see a guy in almost every game playing with a similar issue.

Let's all move on and wish Kyle well. Rudy has been a beast for us and we must thank him for his effort.

BY THE WAY, has anyone considered what bitching you would hear if Rudy had sat the entire game at Pitt and we lose because Ragone happens to drop a few key passes??? Then what screaming would we be doing?? ND fans sometimes are a bit unrealistic.

As for Ray Herring, it is obvious that you had a sour experience that has left a scar on your attitude toward the staff. A person being a former player like yourself should totally realize how major college football operates. Players play hurt every Saturday. This is especially true in today's WIN NOW society.

Just for the record, I'm not Ray Herring. I'm going to retire this account so people don't confuse my opinion with that player.

And thus is born the new account KellyisNasty. Hopefully by next year, its a comment on his teams tenacious play

Just for the record, I'm not Ray Herring. I'm going to retire this account so people don't confuse my opinion with that player.

And thus is born the new account KellyisNasty. Hopefully by next year, its a comment on his teams tenacious play

So you are or aren't going to have a negative thing to say on every topic?