ND Medical Staff

PJacksonsDred15

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anyone with a medical background confirm one thing led to the other, or is this another case of rampant speculation gone wrong.

There is a direct and obvious correlation from hamstring pull injury to an avulsion; however, complete tears are extremely rare. It's kind of a freak thing so no finger pointing is necessary. If the kid said he was good, they would have no reason to hold him out or disbelieve him.

Just got off the phone with a doctor buddy of mine. He says this may be a career ending injury as it will limit his ability to cut fast and hard... He says one can always defy the odds, but an injury like that is pretty tough to return to pre-injury abilities.

This was one of my fears. I seem to remember a similar injury ending Nomar Garciaparra's career . . .

Edited by phony

Cincinnati had hundreds of orthopedic surgeons through the early 2000's then work comp dried up and they left. They do have some insane equipment to test athletes with in cincy. South bend is pretty limited to their small facilities. Either way an MRI would've pick up the avulsion. A diagnostic ultrasound could've really picked up some injuries weeks ago. The trainer really directs all of the care for these kids in sports. The docs get called when they're asked but nit until then do they offer any opinion. Just the way sports teams work. Kinesiotape should be used by that entire team. Colts use it. Olympians use it. I know a kid from Nevada and Florida using it. It works! The avulsion should heal and they will have bone stimulators on his leg 3 times a day. He will be back next year. He will need too much rehab to go NFL in my parental opinion

have you ever played a down of football in your life?

Real football, or still reliving your high school glory days 40 years ago as a 3rd string punter? Cause I see a lot of that round here.

Those days of "be a man and walk it off" are loooong gone. This is a multi-million dollar business.

Just wait till Rudy or his parents start chirping. That'll be fun cause its comin.

I just don't think that this one falls on Kelly and his trainers.

Its interesting, watched a little "inside Notre Dame football" segment on FSN yesterday. Basically, a 30 minute commercial for ND football, where they interview players, interview Kelly, talk about Western Michigan, Pitt, and some of the ins and outs of the program. One of the segments was about "the hill", brought in by Longo.

One of the reasons for instituting the hill was how the upward slope forces guys who want to maintain conditioning don't over stride - and consequently, don't tweak hamstrings. Biggest issue about a guy who is a backup, and wants to keep in game shape, is when they start doing straight sprints, push it too hard, and tweak it. These are words from Kelly's mouth himself, without solicitation. The guy is aware of how guys hurt their hammys, and what a guy with a pulled hammy can do if he pushes it.

Based on the concerns of guys who straight out sprint, I wouldn't be surprised if the straw that broke the camel's back was when Rudolph was streaking on the outside and fell down trying to dive for the ball that Crist "overthrew".

Kelly said it himself in the post game press conference. Paraphrasing here, but essentially, Good luck getting Kyle Rudolph off the field; he's a tough kid. Maybe he's at fault for trusting a player to respect what his body is telling him too much, but I tend to believe him on this one.

Just wait till Rudy or his parents start chirping. That'll be fun cause its comin.

rudy started "chirping" and guess what he had to say...

'No, I don't regret playing in any of the games I played in,'' Rudolph said with certainty with asked if he feels he should have waited until he was 100 percent to get back on the field. ''In all actuality, it was my decision to go when I did and go as hard as I did. It's something I definitely don't regret.''

http://blogs.suntimes.com/notredame/2010/10/notre_dames_kyle_rudolph_no_re.html

rudy started "chirping" and guess what he had to say...

http://blogs.suntimes.com/notredame/2010/10/notre_dames_kyle_rudolph_no_re.html

Parents bitch to the media, not the athlete. Players do their dirt at parties and around campus. You think he's really dumb enough to shut the door if he decides to come back or there is a lock-out?

Parents bitch to the media, not the athlete. Players do their dirt at parties and around campus. You think he's really dumb enough to shut the door if he decides to come back or there is a lock-out?

is that word on campus ... that rudy feels betrayed and let down by the medical and coaching staff?

You really think that Dayne didn't have a concussion? I have seen the same thing from 2 of my athletes this year, the blurry vision in one eye, blank stare on face. IF you really believe that the staff didn't have a conclusion there, you're crazy. We're just lucky he didn't get dinged again in the 2nd half because then he would have missed another week. Like others have said, a training staff gets pressure to have guys on the field all the time, doesn't matter if its college or pro. The athlete who is loved is that guy who fights through the pain and toughs it out for his team. All coaches preach that, its the football culture, and culture in other sports as well. While no one willingly puts others at risk, there are times when kids are capable of doing things in "battle" that they would never be able to do in practice. Broken bones are just nagging aches, not severe pains, until the dust has settled.

You really think that Dayne didn't have a concussion? I have seen the same thing from 2 of my athletes this year, the blurry vision in one eye, blank stare on face. IF you really believe that the staff didn't have a conclusion there, you're crazy. We're just lucky he didn't get dinged again in the 2nd half because then he would have missed another week. Like others have said, a training staff gets pressure to have guys on the field all the time, doesn't matter if its college or pro. The athlete who is loved is that guy who fights through the pain and toughs it out for his team. All coaches preach that, its the football culture, and culture in other sports as well. While no one willingly puts others at risk, there are times when kids are capable of doing things in "battle" that they would never be able to do in practice. Broken bones are just nagging aches, not severe pains, until the dust has settled.

I am not a medical doctor, but if he did have a concussion, and they put him back in the second half, shame on them. With all that is going around these days about concussions, that would simply be unacceptable. If it was the "occular migraine" or whatever they said, that makes more sense.

A second "ding" so shortly after a concussion could have been much more serious than simply missing another week.