Big East Ultimatum to ND?

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigeast/post/_/id/9387/coaches-want-notre-dame-ultimatum

Quote from Randy Edsall at a Big East coaches conference. You have to think that if they issue this ultimatum, ND will be looking for another conference partner. I can't imagine a conference like the Big-10 would allow for ND's current arrangement with the Big East letting football stay independent to continue.

I wonder if this could be the start of that "dramatic shift in landscape" that Swarbrick has been talking about.

Issuing such an ultimatum to Notre Dame could help save the Big East, because it might -- emphasis on might -- push the Irish in the direction of joining the Big Ten to save their other sports. (Because, let's be honest, any ultimatum to Notre Dame would basically end the Irish's Big East involvement, because they are not joining the Big East for football.)

If the Golden Domers join the Big Ten, then perhaps that league is satisfied and doesn't raid the Big East for more teams.

hmm...he makes a very good point ^

The big shift is the talk of either the big 11 or the sec raiding some other confrences to form 16 team super confrences.

SEC covets clemson, fsu, miami, gtech, and might think about louisville. would definitely take UTex and TamU if they had interest. Similarly the Big 11 covets Pitt, ND, ISU, braske.

if a major realignment occurs it might be hard to sit it out.

I'm actually surprised that this hasn't come up earlier. I think that Big East coaches see that ND is the only chance of them keeping their conference relavent in football. If ND joined the Big East in Football, which I hope it doesn't even consider, it solidifies their conference.

So it makes sense for the Big East to tell ND join us in football or get out in Olympic sports, in essence, send ND to the Big Televen for all sports - hopefully holding off the raiding party that would surely ensue.....

Edited by ND FANATIC

Give em the finger, because the ACC would take our non-football sports in a heart beat. We're more in line with them academically and athletically, anyway. The Big East won't go through with this, because they realize that they're about to fall apart anyway. Losing ND would only secure their fate.

Give em the finger, because the ACC would take our non-football sports in a heart beat. We're more in line with them academically and athletically, anyway. The Big East won't go through with this, because they realize that they're about to fall apart anyway. Losing ND would only secure their fate.

Wave you don't really think that ND wants to pay to send all its Olympic sports teams, aka non-revenue generators, all over the southeast do you ? You are talking a large chunk of change, and alot of missed class time for the athletes.

I am still unclear about this....ND never talked to Edsall right? That was just schefter and espn garbage right? I sure hope so. I highly doubt he was ever a real candidate let alone got an interview. Remember how pist and scared almost everyone was round here when that talk was about?

Guest Nocalirish

read this week's Sports Illustrated article, BE is in no position to give ND an ultimatum. Most likely Mizu joins the Big 11, end of story. ND will not join a conference unless the football conf winners are the only ones allowed in the BCS championship bowls.

read this week's Sports Illustrated article, BE is in no position to give ND an ultimatum. Most likely Mizu joins the Big 11, end of story. ND will not join a conference unless the football conf winners are the only ones allowed in the BCS championship bowls.

Welcome to DD Nocalirish! Glad you joined in! :grin:

If you think there are lawsuits now, just imagine what would happen if this occurred.

Really, what does the BE have to lose - the mens and womens basketball teams from ND - which they don't need. If the BE is serious about this, and ND is steadfast about remaining independent in football, ND is screwed. There is not going to be another conference that will take all of ND's olympic sports, and not the football team - ain't going to happen.

People think this is a football problem, its not, its all the other sports - what is ND going to do with them if the BE tells them to go and pound sand?

If Notre Dame starts winning everyone will want to play us because they will get expanded TV exposure, a chance to knock off a top team and put people in the seats.

Why does Notre Dame care about the Big East anyway. I'm sure the Atlantic 10 would love to have ND join. Fordham hoops is no Atlantic 10 program and neither is LaSalle. This way Notre Dame does not have to put up with the threats from the Big East. SInce the Atlantic 10 does not have big time football ND can remain an independent.

Bump Fordham and let the MAAC pick up them up. Not that I think Fordham would be competitive there either but it would be better for them since they would be back competing with their true rivals Manhattan and Iona.

Or lets really play games.... threaten a new conference with most of the eastern Catholic Schools in Div 1 sports. The Big East and MAAC might fold if that happened and the Atlantic 10 would be hit hard as well. Maybe that will shut them up.