Bubba has ND at the top

Bubba really likes Kelly and ND. Right now I think our biggest competition is professional baseball. The kid is in his Jr. Season and he's batting over .600 and throws 95 mph. Id say there's a good chance he's getting drafted in the first couple rounds. I think that ND might take 2 qb's in this class in case he does decide on baseball.

Bubba really likes Kelly and ND. Right now I think our biggest competition is professional baseball. The kid is in his Jr. Season and he's batting over .600 and throws 95 mph. Id say there's a good chance he's getting drafted in the first couple rounds. I think that ND might take 2 qb's in this class in case he does decide on baseball.

I know it's easier for me to say, since I'm not in his shoes, but why would you go straight to MLB without giving yourself a shot at a free college education? He can obviously play baseball for ND in the meantime and then choose between MLB and the NFL after graduation. Seems like giving yourself more options would be the smart way to go.

You would think skipping college would be especially scary for pitchers, given their succeptibility to injury....sure would be nice to have a ND degree as a backstop....

I would guess that depends on the gauranteed money......and don't forget, he can go try baseball and if it doesn't work out, get a scholarship somewhere and go to school for free anyway, maybe not ND, but someone will take him....

I know it's easier for me to say, since I'm not in his shoes, but why would you go straight to MLB without giving yourself a shot at a free college education? He can obviously play baseball for ND in the meantime and then choose between MLB and the NFL after graduation. Seems like giving yourself more options would be the smart way to go.

You would think skipping college would be especially scary for pitchers, given their succeptibility to injury....sure would be nice to have a ND degree as a backstop....

Ask Jeter, even though he doesn't pitch. He skipped college and can still be seen on the sidelines in AA.

Did college help Samar's pro career with the Cubs? Looks like a demotion is likely for him, which is unfortunate.

Ask Jeter, even though he doesn't pitch. He skipped college and can still be seen on the sidelines in AA.

Did college help Samar's pro career with the Cubs? Looks like a demotion is likely for him, which is unfortunate.

Thats an exception to the rule, not fair, zero points

Shark sucks for the cubs, hopefully he can turn it around, great point, 1 pt

Wow this dude is an incredible 2 sport athlete. Love what I'm hearing although I bet it's going to be tough to keep him from going to pro baseball right away. Those batting numbers are sick. Think ND's baseball coach is interested in Mr. Starling's services?

He'd totally be making the right decision to going with baseball. Honestly, I don't know why more kids with the talent to do it try to play other sports...Baseball takes awhile, but the money's great and it's less stress on your body than football. Plus, it's baseball and who the hell wouldn't want to play baseball?

since he was in south bend to visit with the baseball team as well, i am assuming yes...
Definitely. I was being just a WEE bit sarcastic with that question. This guy sounds like a fricken stud at 2 sports. It'll be interesting to see his future decision.
can you say matt holliday??? considered by many to be one of the best high school qbs to never play college ball..........

Try Joe Mauer.

Mauer had an extremely accomplished high school football career. During his senior season as the Raiders' quarterback, Mauer completed 178 of 288 passes (62% completion percentage), for 3,022 yards, 41 touchdowns and 5 interceptions. He finished his two-year career as a starter with 5,528 yards and 73 touchdowns,[5] leading the Raiders to two consecutive Class 5A State Championship Game appearances and winning the title in 1999.

Mauer was honored as the 2001 Gatorade National Player of the Year in both football and baseball, was named to the USA Today All-USA high school football team, was honored as USA Today's Player of the Year, and was a Reebok/ESPN High School All-American. Mauer was also named National High School Quarterback Of The Year in 2000 by The National Quarterback Club.

Try Joe Mauer.

Mauer had an extremely accomplished high school football career. During his senior season as the Raiders' quarterback, Mauer completed 178 of 288 passes (62% completion percentage), for 3,022 yards, 41 touchdowns and 5 interceptions. He finished his two-year career as a starter with 5,528 yards and 73 touchdowns,[5] leading the Raiders to two consecutive Class 5A State Championship Game appearances and winning the title in 1999.

Mauer was honored as the 2001 Gatorade National Player of the Year in both football and baseball, was named to the USA Today All-USA high school football team, was honored as USA Today's Player of the Year, and was a Reebok/ESPN High School All-American. Mauer was also named National High School Quarterback Of The Year in 2000 by The National Quarterback Club.

Yeah. Mauer was the #1 overall player (rated by Rivals) for his class, and was going to play at Florida State. Geez, talk about amazing.

If he signs, I think he has to wait until his third year of college to be drafted. That relieves stress from our end. There are no one and dones.

The whole thing generally comes down to how big of a deal would it be for you personally if you got injured. I know people say $2M is not that much because they could spend it so fast, but taxes aside, it is 20 years at a $100K job.

Basically the trade-off:

1) MLB team gives Bubba a few million dollars that he can put in the bank regardless of how he pans out or whether or gets injured. He will likely play for a minor league team for a couple of years traveling with adult men to crappy cities. Everything past that is speculative.

v.

2) The ability to go to college as a normal student (I don't think 20 yo can live in freshman dorms), play the glory position for the most storied football program of all time, play college for a mediocre baseball team, and have lots of friends and normal good times (i.e., the kind that don't involve poker games in Buffalo with 25 yo men).

If he signs, I think he has to wait until his third year of college to be drafted. That relieves stress from our end. There are no one and dones.

The whole thing generally comes down to how big of a deal would it be for you personally if you got injured. I know people say $2M is not that much because they could spend it so fast, but taxes aside, it is 20 years at a $100K job.

Basically the trade-off:

1) MLB team gives Bubba a few million dollars that he can put in the bank regardless of how he pans out or whether or gets injured. He will likely play for a minor league team for a couple of years traveling with adult men to crappy cities. Everything past that is speculative.

v.

2) The ability to go to college as a normal student (I don't think 20 yo can live in freshman dorms), play the glory position for the most storied football program of all time, play college for a mediocre baseball team, and have lots of friends and normal good times (i.e., the kind that don't involve poker games in Buffalo with 25 yo men).

lol.

I worked for a minor league team (like the one he'd be going to) and they were practically all 25 and under. At single-A (where he'd be headed first), they were more like 18 or 19.

An ESPN scout mentioned in a chat today that he is probably the top rated HS player for baseball. That means he probably goes pretty early in the draft (if a team is convinced he will play baseball) and gets more than 2 million. He would have to love football an awful lot to turn that down, time will tell.