ND to raise tuition to $40.000

Guest SirJohn

One nice thing is that tuition at Notre Dame is free for their full time workers children after they have worked so many years (not sure how many, I have heard 5).

unfortunately thats a small population of the kids who go to ND. I think the price is ridiculous especially for undergraduate learning. But its probably worth it in the end

Actually, if you read the Millionaire Next Door, you will see that formal education only attributes to 6% of the people becoming millionaires in America. So, no, $160,000 for an undergrad degree is not worth the money.

If you have a kid that is not that great of a student then I would suggest two things. #1. Buy Where There's a Will There's an A. by Claude Olney. #2 Send them to a community or junior college for two years and then transfer them into a four years school.

Also, there is adderall and ritalin!:grin:

Guest SirJohn

In Kentucky if your a public run University and are employed there yo or your children get tuition remission. Depending it covers 100% free to 50%. Only to public and not private run schools.

Notre Dame is well worth $50k a year (including room and board) if you grew up loving the University and appreciate all the intangibles such as Tradition, Prestige, Alumni Family, Catholic University, etc.

From an econimic and education standpoint though, ND is not worth anything more than a U of I or IU. Think about the schools all your coworkers went to...then think about how much they paid for that school...then ask which was the better investment. If you're still thinking, you did not major in business.

Notre Dame is well worth $50k a year (including room and board) if you grew up loving the University and appreciate all the intangibles such as Tradition, Prestige, Alumni Family, Catholic University, etc.

From an econimic and education standpoint though, ND is not worth anything more than a U of I or IU. Think about the schools all your coworkers went to...then think about how much they paid for that school...then ask which was the better investment. If you're still thinking, you did not major in business.

I think the things you mention in your first paragraph (Alumni Family, Prestige) have a tangible effect on the economics of attending ND. From your example above, perhaps you wouldn't have the job you have without those connections or the reputation of the school; maybe your co-workers had much better grades at IU or or U of I than you did at ND, or maybe they had much more experience than you did to begin with, but you still ended up at the same place. I don't know, but those don't seem out of the realm of possibility. I frequently interview people for jobs at the company where I work; trust me when I say those who went to ND get a bump.

I also wouldn't count out the importance of prestige, especially in some industries. My profession places an excessive amount of weight on prestige. Even with a professional degree from a very well respected school, and an undergrad degree from ND, I still have some of the worst credentials in my office- many co-workers went to ivies or similar (Northwestern, Duke, MIT, etc.) for both undergrad and graduate school. I wouldn't be surprised if somewhere down the line the prestige of my education puts a glass ceiling on my advancement- most of the higher ups at my company have "better" educational backgrounds than me, even if the skills we learned in school were all essentially the same. I do think that without ND in my background, however, I wouldn't have even gotten my foot in the door.

ND is expensive, but I think the cost (even at 40K/year for tuition alone) is worth it from an economic standpoint for those who will make the most of what ND has to offer while in school and post graduation.

I think the things you mention in your first paragraph (Alumni Family, Prestige) have a tangible effect on the economics of attending ND. From your example above, perhaps you wouldn't have the job you have without those connections or the reputation of the school; maybe your co-workers had much better grades at IU or or U of I than you did at ND, or maybe they had much more experience than you did to begin with, but you still ended up at the same place. I don't know, but those don't seem out of the realm of possibility. I frequently interview people for jobs at the company where I work; trust me when I say those who went to ND get a bump.

I also wouldn't count out the importance of prestige, especially in some industries. My profession places an excessive amount of weight on prestige. Even with a professional degree from a very well respected school, and an undergrad degree from ND, I still have some of the worst credentials in my office- many co-workers went to ivies or similar (Northwestern, Duke, MIT, etc.) for both undergrad and graduate school. I wouldn't be surprised if somewhere down the line the prestige of my education puts a glass ceiling on my advancement- most of the higher ups at my company have "better" educational backgrounds than me, even if the skills we learned in school were all essentially the same. I do think that without ND in my background, however, I wouldn't have even gotten my foot in the door.

ND is expensive, but I think the cost (even at 40K/year for tuition alone) is worth it from an economic standpoint for those who will make the most of what ND has to offer while in school and post graduation.

it really depends on the major.................

it really depends on the major.................

That might fall in the "make the most of what ND has to offer" requirement. From a purely economic perspective, I sure as hell wouldn't go to ND if I was planning on majoring in basically anything offered from Arts & Letters :-).

Had I gone to U of I or IU I probably would be unemployed right now. Going to ND certainly helped me find a job right out of college. You're not paying strictly for education either, you are paying for the alumni networking, university career centers and counselors and other benefits that fall outside of the realm of "education" that will help you land a job once out of ND.