ND flying to Norman tomorrow at 11 am with offer

Guest jsdjason

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jsdjason

I was just posting what I saw on the thread at the time. I just checked the thread again, and the numbers are conflicting. Someone else posted in that same thread that they heard $50 MILLION over 10 YEARS, with all kinds of bonuses. If that's the case then Stoops may well listen. It's also conflicting as to whether the plane is there tomorrow or is already coming tonight. Surely not tonight. But, ND is definitely flying to Norman by tomorrow, that was confirmed on WWLS the sports animal in OKC.

Disclaimer: I am a Sooner fan, didn't make that clear in original post.

I was just posting what I saw on the thread at the time. I just checked the thread again, and the numbers are conflicting. Someone else posted in that same thread that they heard $50 MILLION over 10 YEARS, with all kinds of bonuses. If that's the case then Stoops may well listen. It's also conflicting as to whether the plane is there tomorrow or is already coming tonight. Surely not tonight. But, ND is definitely flying to Norman by tomorrow, that was confirmed on WWLS the sports animal in OKC.

Thanks for the info and welcome to the board. I hope you're right, would love to see Stoops on our sidelines.

if we were to make an offer it would be much more likely 44 million over 8 years-- not 24-------we have been somewhat inept in the past , but the idea that we are going to offer less then a guy makes-- well thats just silly--- we will see if theres anything at all to this-----one thing to scoop a flight to norman-- a totally different thing to scoop details of a deal like this---- unlikley IMO--- aloha's go irish-beat stanford!

Guest jsdjason

For some reason a lot of OU fans seem to think that ND would be interested in Venables if Stoops turns ND down. I don't see it. I assumed ND would get an established big time coach. And if they are flashing $50 million around to people, then they could certainly get almost anyone they wanted. Meyer would have a hard time turning that down.

Saw this as well. No slappy. Not bad. It would be interesting to see what the incentives would be. Very interesting...

Guest jsdjason

This was from a reliable poster on OUinsider on the incentives, quoting a post he saw on one of the ND forums...not sure which one.

"I found this on a ND board, Im still looking for some more info.

Quote:

According to one of the Board of Trustees and a source inside the Athletic Department, Swarbrick and Jenkins have put a package together to lure Bob Stoops to South Bend. Here are the main details that are on the table as of yesterday:

1.) A 10-year $50,000,000 base salary, which doesn't include endorsement and university incentivies.

2.) 3 "special player projects" a year, which may include JUCO transfers.

3.) A contract with Nike (football only)

4.) Additional incentives:

(a) $550,000 for Top 10 Finish

(b) $750,000 for BCS Bowl appearence

© $1.2 million for BCS National Championship

(d) $400,000 for 90% or better graduation rate"

His base deal becomes worth more than $7 million a year in years that he gets to the BCS championship and graduates over 90%. This isn't even including sponsorships, etc. This would be tough to turn down, especially from a powerhouse like ND.

Edited by jsdjason
This was from a reliable poster on OUinsider on the incentives, quoting a post he saw on one of the ND forums...not sure which one.

Quote:

According to one of the Board of Trustees and a source inside the Athletic Department, Swarbrick and Jenkins have put a package together to lure Bob Stoops to South Bend. Here are the main details that are on the table as of yesterday:

1.) A 10-year $50,000,000 base salary, which doesn't include endorsement and university incentivies.

His base deal becomes worth more than $7 million a year in years that he gets to the BCS championship and graduates over 90%. This isn't even including sponsorships, etc. This would be tough to turn down, especially from a powerhouse like ND.

this was floating around last week, only about meyer

Guest jsdjason
Thanks for the info Jason

So tell me, how do you feel about all the Stoops to Notre Dame talk?

For a few fleeting moments I think about all the failures in big games over the last 5 years, but then I realize how fortunate OU has been to be involved in all those games. It's really an anomaly that Stoops has managed to lose every single BCS game over the last 5 or 6 years. Tom Osborne went through a similar stretch of losing 7 bowl games in a row. If Stoops stays then he will have us back in BCS games maybe even next year and competing for championships, national and Big 12. You don't just let a coach that has been to 4 out of 10 BCS Championship Games go without a fight.

I don't want to lose him, because he is a proven commodity in that respect. You never know what you're going to get in a new coach. If he goes to ND, ND will be in the BCS mix every year, with a down year here and there. This year has been chaotic. OU could easily be undefeated right now with having just Bradford and Gresham back, even with a make-shift o-line. Stoops is a great coach, and ND would be lucky to get him.

Quote:

Jason, this was taken from a bull$$hit blog called Irish band of brothers. This info is so outrageous that they had the same exact package for Urban Meyer about a week ago.

Here is the article: http://irishbandofbrothers.blogspot.com/2009/11/weis-future-being-more-clear-wheels-are.html

A lot of fans from other teams have been reporting on this: http://www.volnation.com/forum/around-ncaa/86504-notre-dame-preparing-major-offer-urban.html

This blog has been very wrong before and has absolutely no credibility.

Edited by mcdougal93

Nice to hear that they may be flying out there and making the effort, i do believe that part of the story.

But in regards to the figures i think everyone is just guessing, theres no way anyone knows anything concrete about that.

The only thing I wonder if it is true is did they even talk to stoops yet? Or is this their first effort to speak with him??

I would like to think if they are flying out there with an offer he must at the very least have told them that he would willing to sit down and listen, no?

Yea, that was basically the exact same thing that was posted on Band of Brothers a couple of weeks ago.

I find it odd that many people would have knowledge of the offer they were going to give to Stoops considering we still don't actually know exactly how much money Charlie makes, let alone special details.