John Goodman & Dieon Walker

dangeruss

in CW press conference he said that he's been very pleased with both goodman and walker and that they deserved to get some reps with the big boys. i wonder if CW will burn their redshirt during the second half of the season. both john and dieon showed great ball skills in their HS film and should make real good WRs in the future but i wonder if their physical enough right now to play.

do u guys really see goodman playing alot in his career at ND? i really cant see him getting on the field that much, i see him being more like robby parris and gallup, just too many better receivers, but i do see walker playing alot next year, he has too much speed to keep him off the field.

goodman is faster than parris and bigger than west, so those comparisons aren't really apt, IMO.

besides, goodman played QB is HS and i, for one, could see him having a little package put in for him by CW and staff at some point. just some change of pace, ala the "wildcat" formation that is currently vogue with a lot of college and pro teams...

if he does play them its going probably just to keep them from transferring. Because as of right now we are set at receiver. Grimes is the old veteran. And I dont see any reason why Tate and Floyd should ever not be on the field. And Kumara is a good enough 4th. His size is such an asset if he uses it correctly.

The only way it would make sense playing them would be in a 5wr set. I see Walker as more valuable of the two because he could be a very fast slot guy. It would be great if Walker could fill in for Grimes. Walkers has speed and big play ability which Grimes lacks but Grimes has tons of experience on his side.

I think this is a bad sign for Grimes...However, I also think Deion will see the field before Goodman because Goodman's redshirt will have a higher value...If Deion reaches his potential he and Floyd could bolt after their junior seasons...leaving the cupboard fairly bare and Goodman available for two more seasons along with whoever else we can bring in around him...

Just a thought, but I think burning the redshirt on both would be silly...

What we will end up with is the ability to swap out WRs based off of what we need (similar to our RBs....in theory that is).

Goodman is going to play for us.....a lot.

I know Walker is going to be in there too. He is a very talented WR, and I expected him to see a lot of time this year. The emergence of Floyd and Tate has made it hard for anyone to see the field. If Kamara continues to reappear, then it might be hard for anyone outside of those 3 to get quality time this year.

i saw a video on und.com of one of the practices early on.. (like before sdsu) but deion got the ball and was one on one with someone who i cant remember right now,, but he juked the shit out of him and just flew down the sideline..it was really pretty crazy, i can definetly see him playing in the future.

Goodman and Walker's not playing as of yet is a true reflection of Tate, Kamara and Floyd. Of course no disrespect intended to Grimes...but it is what it is. Both John and Deion could start for a few respectable programs today.

And let's not discount our tight ends getting their share of catches. Both this year and next. What I am trying to say is that we will be deep in players ready able to recieve the ball from Jimmy. Great problem to have.

I don't know if they will or won't red-shirt...but I am sure Coach Weis will do what's best for both them and Notre Dame.

do u guys really see goodman playing alot in his career at ND? i really cant see him getting on the field that much, i see him being more like robby parris and gallup, just too many better receivers, but i do see walker playing alot next year, he has too much speed to keep him off the field.

Absolutely. He's very good. He might even be as good as Walker. He's very fluid and natural in his position. If you watch practice film he seems to be putting in more effort than Walker. And remember what Charlie says, the guy who shows the best form in practice gets in the game.

Below is what Weis was referring to in his press conf. this past Sunday and should clear up that they most likely will not see the field this year. Some of the non staters are getting more reps this week since it is a bye week.

Q. I know John Goodman hasn't played. How has he progressed kind of running on the scout team, and what's he kind of done over the past six or seven weeks?

COACH WEIS: Actually, he's been one of the guys that's I've been very pleased with on the scout team. Now both those two young receivers, both John and Deion have made significant progress from the beginning of the year to now. This will be a very interesting week for them, because they're going to get a whole bunch of reps with the big boys this week because those guys have earned the right to be into that mix. I've been very pleased with John's progress.

Q. I'm guessing plan now is not necessarily to play with either one of those guys at this point this year, right?

COACH WEIS: At this point they'd be sitting at 7 and 8, you know, as far as the numbers go. So, you know, at this point they'd have to get into that top six before I'd be thinking in that direction.