Notre Dame Football News And Talk  


Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-13-2013, 02:48 PM
Rattlesnake's Avatar
Rattlesnake Rattlesnake is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Junior
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bloomington, IL
Posts: 2,384
Default Bowl Projections

Phil Steele's Bowl Projections via espn.com.. ND vs. Georgia in the Sugar Bowl :

Allstate Sugar Bowl (SEC champ vs. BCS at-large)
Jan. 2, 2014 -- New Orleans
Projection: Notre Dame Fighting Irish vs. Georgia Bulldogs

The Bulldogs have one of the best offenses in the country with nine returning starters, led by four-year starting quarterback Aaron Murray. The inexperienced defense will get better as the season progresses, and the Bulldogs will win the SEC East for the third straight season thanks to a key win over South Carolina in Week 2. With Alabama playing in the national championship game, the Sugar will take the SEC's second-best team.

The Fighting Irish are a deeper and stronger team than last season's edition despite the loss of quarterback Everett Golson and linebacker Manti Te'o. The schedule is brutal as always, as they play six potentially ranked teams, but they do get key games against Michigan State, Oklahoma and USC at home. The Irish will get to 10 wins and grab an at-large bid.

------------------------------------------------------
Other notable Bowls :
U$C vs. Texas -- Fiesta Bowl (How?)
Stanford vs. Oklahoma -- Alamo Bowl (Could be a really good game)
Ole Miss vs. Michigan -- Gator Bowl (Ole Miss is supposed to be a sleeper this year)
Florida vs. Michigan State -- Outback Bowl (Interesting)
UCLA vs. Fresno State -- Las Vegas Bowl (Good choice, Eddie..)
tOSU vs. Bama -- National Championship (Bama will squash tOSU)
__________________
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

  #2  
Old 08-13-2013, 05:55 PM
piratey's Avatar
piratey piratey is offline
Senior Member
Domer Domain All American
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 6,913
Default

This would be a dream come true for us. Mark Richt is a chuuuuump, see Sparty v. Gerogia 2011
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-13-2013, 06:01 PM
stdntDrvr stdntDrvr is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Freshman
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Columbus, GA
Posts: 810
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratey View Post
This would be a dream come true for us. Mark Richt is a chuuuuump, see Sparty v. Gerogia 2011
Ga's offensive game plan...1st play of a drive, throw deep...followed by a run up the middle...and on third and long, draw play. If the drive is sustained they mix pass and run pretty well. Their run game is pretty good with Gurley and Marshall...but Murray makes mental mistakes in big games and if the D gets in his face.

All the while, Mark Richt paces along the sidelines like he's bored.

Their O is expected to be better this year, but the D is lacking since they lost a ton of starters off last year's mediocre defensive unit.

I pray for this game and for ND to stomp UGA into the ground...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-13-2013, 06:06 PM
echo88's Avatar
echo88 echo88 is offline
Senior Member
Domer Domain All American
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 7,952
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stdntDrvr View Post
Ga's offensive game plan...1st play of a drive, throw deep...followed by a run up the middle...and on third and long, draw play. If the drive is sustained they mix pass and run pretty well. Their run game is pretty good with Gurley and Marshall...but Murray makes mental mistakes in big games and if the D gets in his face.

All the while, Mark Richt paces along the sidelines like he's bored.

Their O is expected to be better this year, but the D is lacking since they lost a ton of starters off last year's mediocre defensive unit.

I pray for this game and for ND to stomp UGA into the ground...
Mediocre defensive unit? You mean that one that allowed 10 fewer points than ours against Bama?
__________________
"In 1200 BC, Muslims invented the condom by using a goat intestine. In 1780 AD, the British perfected the design by removing the intestine from the goat."
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-13-2013, 06:11 PM
yikityyakirish's Avatar
yikityyakirish yikityyakirish is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Sophomore
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Memphis,TN
Posts: 1,657
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo88 View Post
Mediocre defensive unit? You mean that one that allowed 10 fewer points than ours against Bama?
The one with 7 draft picks?

Yea mediocre is the word for it.......I'll go ahead and say last year a notre dame Georgia game would've looked similar to the Bama game....except UGA has better RBs
__________________

Life's a Garden....Dig it....
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-13-2013, 06:13 PM
stdntDrvr stdntDrvr is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Freshman
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Columbus, GA
Posts: 810
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo88 View Post
Mediocre defensive unit? You mean that one that allowed 10 fewer points than ours against Bama?
Sorry, by UGA Fans' standards, the defensive unit was mediocre...the fans here in Georgia was very unimpressed with the defensive showing last year.

...and give credit to Alabama for playing flawlessly in the Nat'l Championship game as well.
__________________

Last edited by stdntDrvr; 08-13-2013 at 06:15 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-13-2013, 06:20 PM
echo88's Avatar
echo88 echo88 is offline
Senior Member
Domer Domain All American
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 7,952
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stdntDrvr View Post
Ga's offensive game plan...1st play of a drive, throw deep...followed by a run up the middle...and on third and long, draw play. If the drive is sustained they mix pass and run pretty well. Their run game is pretty good with Gurley and Marshall...but Murray makes mental mistakes in big games and if the D gets in his face.

All the while, Mark Richt paces along the sidelines like he's bored.

Their O is expected to be better this year, but the D is lacking since they lost a ton of starters off last year's mediocre defensive unit.

I pray for this game and for ND to stomp UGA into the ground...
There are a couple SEC teams that would beat our *** in a bowl game this year. Georgia is one of them.
__________________
"In 1200 BC, Muslims invented the condom by using a goat intestine. In 1780 AD, the British perfected the design by removing the intestine from the goat."
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-13-2013, 06:25 PM
stdntDrvr stdntDrvr is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Freshman
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Columbus, GA
Posts: 810
Default

I'm not saying UGA lacks talent...but let's not forget their 6-7 record from 2 years ago with all of this talent. UGA has always been able to sign top recruiting classes, the coaches are just crap. Their OC is extremely predictable, they haven't fielded a great defense since Van Gorder moved on to the NFL, and Richt is a joke for a head coach.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-13-2013, 06:46 PM
piratey's Avatar
piratey piratey is offline
Senior Member
Domer Domain All American
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 6,913
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo88 View Post
Mediocre defensive unit? You mean that one that allowed 10 fewer points than ours against Bama?
So are you saying that Tennessee is better than Alabama offensively? Because Tyler Bray put a 44 spot on Georgia last year and that's with him throwing 3 picks...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-13-2013, 07:18 PM
echo88's Avatar
echo88 echo88 is offline
Senior Member
Domer Domain All American
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 7,952
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratey View Post
So are you saying that Tennessee is better than Alabama offensively? Because Tyler Bray put a 44 spot on Georgia last year and that's with him throwing 3 picks...


I simply found a common opponent in Bama. We didn't play Tennessee last year, so I can't say how our D would've performed.
__________________
"In 1200 BC, Muslims invented the condom by using a goat intestine. In 1780 AD, the British perfected the design by removing the intestine from the goat."
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-13-2013, 07:42 PM
Rattlesnake's Avatar
Rattlesnake Rattlesnake is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Junior
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bloomington, IL
Posts: 2,384
Default

So.. as of now.. Who all here is afraid to play a Bama, LSU, FL, Georgia, or A&M this year? And who all thinks we could contend - and if so - with which ones?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-13-2013, 07:55 PM
ND3 ND3 is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Walk-On
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 401
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake View Post
So.. as of now.. Who all here is afraid to play a Bama, LSU, FL, Georgia, or A&M this year? And who all thinks we could contend - and if so - with which ones?
Teams that would beat us 7/10 times or more (games I would not be optimistic about):

Bama
Oregon
Georgia (The Gurshall combo is just too good)
TAMU (assuming JFF isn't suspended)

LSU wouldn't- they lost too much defense
UF wouldn't- they are too questionable on offense
I would put both of them at around 50/50 against us.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-13-2013, 08:06 PM
echo88's Avatar
echo88 echo88 is offline
Senior Member
Domer Domain All American
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 7,952
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND3 View Post
Teams that would beat us 7/10 times or more (games I would not be optimistic about):

Bama
Oregon
Georgia (The Gurshall combo is just too good)
TAMU (assuming JFF isn't suspended)

LSU wouldn't- they lost too much defense
UF wouldn't- they are too questionable on offense
I would put both of them at around 50/50 against us.
Agree with this list except I think we would beat TAMU.
__________________
"In 1200 BC, Muslims invented the condom by using a goat intestine. In 1780 AD, the British perfected the design by removing the intestine from the goat."
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-13-2013, 08:34 PM
IrishPolock IrishPolock is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Sophomore
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Findlay, OH
Posts: 1,530
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo88 View Post
Mediocre defensive unit? You mean that one that allowed 10 fewer points than ours against Bama?
I'm not sure if I would have called them mediocre... but I might say they were overrated, still pretty darn good though.

Allowing 10 fewer points is a bit easier when your O is able to move the ball and get points on the board though.
__________________

Thanks Rocketsan22
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-13-2013, 08:37 PM
echo88's Avatar
echo88 echo88 is offline
Senior Member
Domer Domain All American
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 7,952
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishPolock View Post
I'm not sure if I would have called them mediocre... but I might say they were overrated, still pretty darn good though.

Allowing 10 fewer points is a bit easier when your O is able to move the ball and get points on the board though.
Be that as it may, even leveling that 10 point difference would put them on par with our D and I wouldn't say our D was mediocre last season.
__________________
"In 1200 BC, Muslims invented the condom by using a goat intestine. In 1780 AD, the British perfected the design by removing the intestine from the goat."
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-13-2013, 09:34 PM
REMND REMND is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Sophomore
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,086
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stdntDrvr View Post
Sorry, by UGA Fans' standards, the defensive unit was mediocre...the fans here in Georgia was very unimpressed with the defensive showing last year.

...and give credit to Alabama for playing flawlessly in the Nat'l Championship game as well.
Over a month to prepare by Saban and staff. I think Saban right now is the best in the business with the most horses. Let's give credit where it is due. We have a ways to go to get the depth and coaching excellence that they have. We are certainly working at it.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-13-2013, 09:46 PM
piratey's Avatar
piratey piratey is offline
Senior Member
Domer Domain All American
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 6,913
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by REMND View Post
Over a month to prepare by Saban and staff. I think Saban right now is the best in the business with the most horses. Let's give credit where it is due. We have a ways to go to get the depth and coaching excellence that they have. We are certainly working at it.
He's 11-1 in those games since taking the LSU job. His lone loss was that Utah BCS debacle. With a month to prepare, Saban and Kirby Smart are unstoppable
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-13-2013, 10:00 PM
Rattlesnake's Avatar
Rattlesnake Rattlesnake is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Junior
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bloomington, IL
Posts: 2,384
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratey View Post
He's 11-1 in those games since taking the LSU job. His lone loss was that Utah BCS debacle. With a month to prepare, Saban and Kirby Smart are unstoppable
True.. And I'm sure creating even more proteges in the process, further extending the Parcells coaching tree.. I wonder if we'll ever see the end.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-13-2013, 10:39 PM
CTHindman's Avatar
CTHindman CTHindman is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Walk-On
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Pensacola, FL
Posts: 227
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake View Post
So.. as of now.. Who all here is afraid to play a Bama, LSU, FL, Georgia, or A&M this year? And who all thinks we could contend - and if so - with which ones?
Wouldn't say afraid. Would say that we would probably lose all 5 of those games on any given Saturday. I would also say that the only two "unbeatables" would be Bama after more than 2 weeks to prepare and LSU in Baton Rouge on a Saturday night. Other than those 2 scenarios, we have the talent and the coaching staff to beat them, as well. Living in the South, I see the SEC first hand. I hope and pray that we add at least one SEC team to our schedule. If we go to the Sugar Bowl, I will be there. They are the measuring stick for a good reason.
Go Irish!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08-14-2013, 12:56 AM
BrianKellyTheMan BrianKellyTheMan is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Sophomore
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,189
Default

Still interesting to see what happens with Manziel-didn't spell it right. Makes a big difference if A/M makes it far. Which could impact us.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 08-14-2013, 01:16 PM
Rocket's Revenge's Avatar
Rocket's Revenge Rocket's Revenge is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Sophomore
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ask the NSA...
Posts: 1,997
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake View Post
True.. And I'm sure creating even more proteges in the process, further extending the Parcells coaching tree.. I wonder if we'll ever see the end.
...and the Bill Peterson, Bob Knight, and Ray Perkins coaching trees!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTHindman
Living in the South, I see the SEC first hand.
You don't live in the South, you live in Florida!!
__________________




Hey, which is worse? Popping off on a website, or stealing a scooter? - PursuitAce

Last edited by Rocket's Revenge; 08-14-2013 at 01:20 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 08-14-2013, 02:35 PM
nremdn's Avatar
nremdn nremdn is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Walk-On
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Middle TN
Posts: 424
Default

I still don't see how anyone can be comfortable with us beating a team with a good defense and a good defensive coordinator with Rees as our qb. It has been proven over and over that a good defensive mind with the horses will stop Rees every time.
__________________
http://www.domerdomain.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11717&dateline=134625  2361
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 08-14-2013, 03:27 PM
mtl_irish03's Avatar
mtl_irish03 mtl_irish03 is offline
Junior Member
Domer Domain Sophomore
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,914
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo88 View Post
Mediocre defensive unit? You mean that one that allowed 10 fewer points than ours against Bama?
C'mon echo, you're better than that.

I guess UDub should be ranked ahead of Stanford also right?
One game does not a season make.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 08-14-2013, 03:28 PM
NDhoosier's Avatar
NDhoosier NDhoosier is offline
Senior Member
Domer Domain All American
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Evansville, IN
Posts: 5,351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nremdn View Post
I still don't see how anyone can be comfortable with us beating a team with a good defense and a good defensive coordinator with Rees as our qb. It has been proven over and over that a good defensive mind with the horses will stop Rees every time.
While I am not going to debate whether we win or not against the team you described. The only team that fits your description in the regular season is Stanford, so I am not sure what you are so worried about. We will deal with Georgia when the time comes, but yes, they would be a pretty challenging team.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 08-14-2013, 03:33 PM
echo88's Avatar
echo88 echo88 is offline
Senior Member
Domer Domain All American
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 7,952
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl_irish03 View Post
C'mon echo, you're better than that.

I guess UDub should be ranked ahead of Stanford also right?
One game does not a season make.
I understand that. That's why I used Bama---they were a common opponent. I don't think it's unfair to compare how both the Irish and UGA fared against Bama. Especially since the games were both played late in the season. And I stand by my assertion that a defense that surrendered 32 points to Bama can't be called "mediocre" when the nation's supposed 2nd best defense surrendered 42. Clearly I am not alone in thinking that.
__________________
"In 1200 BC, Muslims invented the condom by using a goat intestine. In 1780 AD, the British perfected the design by removing the intestine from the goat."
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


Also visit IrishEnvy, our Notre Dame Football partner site

All times are GMT. The time now is 07:51 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.