Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > General Discussion

Old 05-28-2013, 07:55 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Default What actually happened with Golson?

Sorry if this was buried in the millions of pages already written on the subject, but does anyone know what actually happened?

Was it grades or cheating?

His statement said bad academic judgement, which sounds like cheating. I would have thought "performance" would indicate grades. If he were accuesed of cheating, would he be allowed back?

Regardless, I don't think Kelly will ever let him lead the ship if he does return.

I know other players have come back from academic suspension, but not the team leader and face of the team.

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 05-28-2013, 08:04 PM
Domer Domain All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishrush View Post
Sorry if this was buried in the millions of pages already written on the subject, but does anyone know what actually happened?

Was it grades or cheating?

His statement said bad academic judgement, which sounds like cheating. I would have thought "performance" would indicate grades. If he were accuesed of cheating, would he be allowed back?

Regardless, I don't think Kelly will ever let him lead the ship if he does return.

I know other players have come back from academic suspension, but not the team leader and face of the team.
Gary Gray and Darrin Walls were both hit with the academic suspension and started as your corners in 2010 under Brian Kelly
Old 05-28-2013, 08:12 PM
Domer Domain Junior

BK has definitely shown that he will give players a second chance, if they learn from their mistakes, set their goals straight, and show they are ready to move on...Floyd is another perfect example. Golson will be back and will lead this team.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:15 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Gray and Walls were not the team leader and the face of the program, though. I think this is different.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:21 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Maybe #5 is an unlucky jersey. T'eo. Rodney Culver was #5 too.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:25 PM
Administrator

Well, if it makes you feel any better, I don't think Everett has done anything yet to be considered the "Face" of the program. If I had to think to myself, "Who at this point and time (even with Golson still on the team) is the face of the program" I would have to answer with Nix and/or Tuitt.

"
If we were in the wild, I would attack u. Even if u weren’t in my food chain, I would go out of my way to attack u!" ~Manti Teo

Old 05-28-2013, 08:40 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

OK - points all taken.
What happened though? That is what I really want to know...
Old 05-28-2013, 08:43 PM

Quote:
OK - points all taken.
What happened though? That is what I really want to know...
The verbiage used points to cheating. Although not confirmed, poor grades would probably be stated clearly if that was the case.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:47 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo88 View Post
The verbiage used points to cheating. Although not confirmed, poor grades would probably be stated clearly if that was the case.
But you can come back after cheating?
Old 05-28-2013, 08:49 PM

Quote:
But you can come back after cheating?
Sure. He has only been suspended for the fall semester.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:03 PM
Tenured
Domer Domain Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo88 View Post
I was just following on Twitter, but in his presser Kelly said something to the effect of "If you cheat academically at Notre Dame, there are consequences."

So cheating of some regard seems a pretty safe bet.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:20 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

If that is the case, I actually feel sorry for him for being that stupid that he was stupid enough to cheat.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:50 PM
Administrator
Domer Domain Legend

Sounds like Golson could have been a repeat offender.

http://collegespun.com/big-east/notr...-first-offense

Old 05-28-2013, 10:14 PM
Domer Domain Sophomore

"Ya'll remember when he intercepted the ball and his pants fell off and he ran for the touchdown bare assed?"

I feel like I am watching the Waterboy.

Under the bus Ev.

Seems like people turn on a dime in the ND Nation. Disappointed or not, I have done a ton of bad things in my life that I regret, hurt a lot of people. I guess that makes me too low to look down on EG.

"A man doesn't know how big a shadow he throws until he stands up."
-Gil Favor, Rawhide
Old 05-28-2013, 11:40 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

I just can't get passed whatever the academic was. Was he too study and fail out, did he cheat to cover for laziness...the university had to have given him every opportunity to succeed.
I am ok with people making "kid" type mistakes and I will forgive them for it. That is how you grow up. I don't really see cheating as that type of mistake and he was a repeat offender to boot. He obviously didn't learn from his first goof. This is more of a deep character issue.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:41 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

I just can't get passed whatever the academic was. Was he too lazy to study and fail out, did he cheat to cover for laziness...the university had to have given him every opportunity to succeed.
I am ok with people making "kid" type mistakes and I will forgive them for it. That is how you grow up. I don't really see cheating as that type of mistake and he was a repeat offender to boot. He obviously didn't learn from his first goof. This is more of a deep character issue.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:08 AM
Domer Domain Sophomore

Quote:
I just can't get passed whatever the academic was. Was he too lazy to study and fail out, did he cheat to cover for laziness...the university had to have given him every opportunity to succeed.
Anything is possible, but he doesn't seem (From some fairly extensive reading) like that kind of person. Maybe he has developed some bad habits. He might have character issues, I don't know for certain. He just doesn't seem like that kind of young man to me.

But then, I have read about it and watched him on TV and never met him, so how much do I really know?

"A man doesn't know how big a shadow he throws until he stands up."
-Gil Favor, Rawhide
Old 05-29-2013, 12:25 AM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieAngel View Post
Anything is possible, but he doesn't seem (From some fairly extensive reading) like that kind of person. Maybe he has developed some bad habits. He might have character issues, I don't know for certain. He just doesn't seem like that kind of young man to me.

But then, I have read about it and watched him on TV and never met him, so how much do I really know?
I think that is why I am most bitter - he just seemed like a good kid. I am being hard on him, but it is really hard to understand how he could do something like this.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:49 AM
Domer Domain Walk-On

when I was a student at ND, there were so many athletes who cheated. It was a definite problem. I am not saying that ALL athletes cheated, but a lot of them did. Golson got caught (maybe several times) and he will not do it anymore.

Balancing the rigors or athletics, academics, and a social life is incredibly difficult at Notre Dame.

Seemingly everyone in here is SO disappointed in Golson (me included), but people fail to understand just how much pressure and demands on their time these guys face on a daily basis and how little the University does to try to lessen their academic load. Al that HELP that university gives these student athletes just takes up more of their time. When they go to tutors, it takes time. When they get help writing a paper, it takes time. They do not do it for them like at some other schools.

Bottom line is that ND will never bend on these subjects. The university expects all its students to be students first and foremost. There are no cupcake majors or classes (there are some that are easier than others) and there is no looking the other way.

If you go to ND and play a major sport, you simply need to be prepared for this lifestyle. It's not a place to go to party and have a good time. You can't take classes from your apartment (ala Johnny Football). If you come to ND, you have to work HARD.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:11 AM

Quote:
I think that is why I am most bitter - he just seemed like a good kid. I am being hard on him, but it is really hard to understand how he could do something like this.
Keep in mind that there are many levels to cheating, especially as defined by a school like ND. Hell, he could've fudged a source that he cited in one of his final papers. I've done that many times. Is it cheating? Only if you're unlucky enough to have a professor who does his fact-finding....

Just saying that it could be as minor as that all the way up to using someone else's work and passing it off as his own. We might never know....
Old 05-29-2013, 02:37 AM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Whatever "happened" with/to EG i think its safe to say it was linked to his 2nd semester accounting class.

Was it a "last straw" violation...indicating he had "chronic" problems?
i wouldnt interpret the expulsion as requiring a "series of missteps" per DuLac as some seem to think...sometimes one "mistep" is all it takes.
and one misstep also provides chance at "redemption" (a second chance)

from a program perspective we should be glad no other shoes have dropped here...

Duke