Notre Dame Football News And Talk  

Come check out the news feed! DD Front Page

Go Back   Notre Dame Football News And Talk > Message Board > Recruiting Board

Old 01-20-2011, 06:01 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Send a message via AIM to IrishCalves
Default Potential Preferred Walk-On: CA LB Joe Schmidt

6'2", 225 LB prospect from Mater Dei.

Has an offer from Air Force, but is drawing walk-on interest from a couple other Pac-10 schools as well as the Irish. Seems like one of those "grinders" that isn't a genetically blessed athlete, but could contribute in the right situation. Being named defensive MVP at a school like Mater Dei isn't something to sneeze at either, as they are a perennial hotbed for D1 talent. Also sounds like he knows Troy Niklas from growing up, which may be an ulterior motive with our involvement.

We are ND.

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 01-20-2011, 06:06 PM
Domer Domain Freshman

I like these guys that aren't physically gifted because they are hard workers and their work ethic sets a good example for others. One or two of these types of players would blend in nicely with the extremely talented group of athletes coming in.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:14 PM
Domer Domain All American

No problem if he leads to getting Niklas, but so many guys ahead of him...Teo, Callabrese, McDonald, Paluzny, Moore and now Jarret Grace....
Old 01-20-2011, 06:15 PM
Domer Domain Junior

http://usc.247sports.com/Board/29/Ma...3316/1#a625137

Some USC guys spotted him too.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:17 PM
Domer Domain Junior

A football team can never have enough special teamers who play their balls off . . .
Old 01-20-2011, 06:19 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Send a message via AIM to tchris555

hard to sell a preferred walk-on. Come to ND, and pay your own way for $200,000 over 4 years. Or, go to anywhere else and pay a quarter of that amount.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:20 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Getting into ND is tough. Some people just want to get in and try to earn a spot.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:31 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Anyone remember a kid from 2 or 3 recruiting classes ago who was supposed to be a preferred walk-on but I don't think he ever did come? I think his name was Tom Freeman maybe?

Does this ring a bell with anyone else?

Answered my own question, doesn't look like he ended up anywhere playing despite being a 3*.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...-Freeman-79521

Last edited by Jason; 01-20-2011 at 06:34 PM.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:54 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Inroads to Niklas -- and more importantly Mater Dei as a whole -- might be worth it. It feels so insulting to have Mater Dei feeding SC's pipeline.

Incidentally, what does a "preferred" walk-on get that a standard walk-on doesn't?
Old 01-20-2011, 06:59 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

Preferred walk on means (essentially) a guaranteed spot on the team's roster; verbal promise from the coaches before ever having set foot on campus. Regular walk on means they have to try out, and may get cut when its all said and done.

We are ND.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:01 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishCalves View Post
Preferred walk on means (essentially) a guaranteed spot on the team's roster; verbal promise from the coaches before ever having set foot on campus. Regular walk on means they have to try out, and may get cut when its all said and done.
Cool thanks Calves!
Old 01-20-2011, 07:10 PM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Anyone remember a kid from 2 or 3 recruiting classes ago who was supposed to be a preferred walk-on but I don't think he ever did come? I think his name was Tom Freeman maybe?

Answered my own question, doesn't look like he ended up anywhere playing despite being a 3*.

Freeman was on the Roster for 09... Must have missed the cut this year or just left the team.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:26 PM

AirForce Academy is a "grinder". My sister in law graduated from there. The freshmen have "no life". A kid from my neighborhood went on a full ride as a tight end. He transferred out after his freshman year. Pretty much said it wasn't worth the $200,000 scholarship. I think a preferred walk on would be a much easier route versus the scholarship deal at USAFA if you aren't in to wanting to be a military person for the next 10 years.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:30 PM
Domer Domain Junior

Send a message via AIM to ColinKSU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post

Freeman came to ND, but I believe he got injured and decided to stop playing the sport.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:07 PM
otto

correct, Freeman hurt his back.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:20 PM
MI-Domer

more on "preferred walk-on" status...

Preferred walk-ons are invited to fall camp as well as spring ball, whereas regular walk-ons join the team once the school year starts.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:44 AM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirodomer View Post
AirForce Academy is a "grinder". My sister in law graduated from there. The freshmen have "no life". A kid from my neighborhood went on a full ride as a tight end. He transferred out after his freshman year. Pretty much said it wasn't worth the $200,000 scholarship. I think a preferred walk on would be a much easier route versus the scholarship deal at USAFA if you aren't in to wanting to be a military person for the next 10 years.
As someone who went there I can say no one has a life (at least not in the normal college life sense) there. Your life is the military.....shocker. Old Fisher and his staff were known to lie to kids to get them to play football there and many of the football recruits bailed early.

Luckily I'm happy to say that I used to hate AF football and was the Cadet with the little handheld TV watching ND games but the new coach is turning things around nicely.

It would be great to have another LB at ND but if he wants to play AF would be the best choice.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:22 AM

Welcome to the domain usafa03! I've been to a lot of weddings with grads from your school. They all laugh about that freshman year. I've heard some of the crazy stories. The kid from my town played TE back in 1983ish. He ended up transferring to Anderson College in Anderson, Indiana. You're the first one that I have heard about carrying a mini tv though. My current neighbor is a USNA grad. I'm tired of hearing about that team ! Can't wait until next year!
Old 01-21-2011, 01:56 AM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirodomer View Post
Welcome to the domain usafa03! I've been to a lot of weddings with grads from your school. They all laugh about that freshman year. I've heard some of the crazy stories. The kid from my town played TE back in 1983ish. He ended up transferring to Anderson College in Anderson, Indiana. You're the first one that I have heard about carrying a mini tv though. My current neighbor is a USNA grad. I'm tired of hearing about that team ! Can't wait until next year!
Thanks! You and me both about hearing about Navy.....this board has several posts about looking past AF next year but lets not forget AF beat the same Navy team that beat ND this year.

Either way I'll still be cheering for the Irish and hope that I'm back from the desert so I can take my uncles tickets to the game in Oct.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:17 AM
Domer Domain Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Domer View Post
more on "preferred walk-on" status...

Preferred walk-ons are invited to fall camp as well as spring ball, whereas regular walk-ons join the team once the school year starts.
Thanks and welcome, MI-Domer! Same to you, USAFA!
Old 01-21-2011, 03:36 AM
Domer Domain Junior

I;d give him a shot. Nothing to lose. These hard nosed kind of players are overachievers and have a nose for the ball. God knows plenty of them at AF and Navy have outplayed our higher ranked HS recruits in the past.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:34 PM
Domer Domain Veteran

You need to have capable walk ons, even at this level of recruiting. David Ruffer, Mike Anello, Bobby Burger, they've all come up clutch for the Irish at one point or another. Finding good walk on talent doesn't necessarily happen all by itself. If nothing else, think special teams.

We are ND.
Old 01-22-2011, 03:30 AM
Domer Domain Walk-On

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFA03_HUGENDFAN View Post
As someone who went there I can say no one has a life (at least not in the normal college life sense) there. Your life is the military.....shocker. Old Fisher and his staff were known to lie to kids to get them to play football there and many of the football recruits bailed early.

Luckily I'm happy to say that I used to hate AF football and was the Cadet with the little handheld TV watching ND games but the new coach is turning things around nicely.

It would be great to have another LB at ND but if he wants to play AF would be the best choice.
Thanks for the info about DeBerry. I'm seriously thinking about heading to Colorado Springs in 2013 (I think that's the year) for the ND-Air Force game.

Last edited by Classic Irish; 01-22-2011 at 03:30 AM. Reason: typo